High iron well-water killing my plants?

jf712093

Hi Guys,

I think the high iron content of my well water is killing my plants by locking out other nurtients. This is my first grow, so please go easy on me.

Where I grow I only have access to well water. I didn't even think about the high iron content, I only saw the deposits today when I checked the roots as I suspected root rot.

The well water has a pH of 7.5 and is 200ppm.

I'm running a bucket ebb and gro system with Ionic grow nutrient. I'm running an EC of 1.6 and let the pH drift between 5.6-6.2. The resevoir temp is 24 degrees C and I run a couple of airstones in it.

I switched to 12/12 5 days ago. I flood and drain the system during light on time (10pm-10am) every 4 hours with one feed half way through the dark period.

What looks like defiency issues showed up a few weeks ago, I played around the nutrient solution a little but the issues remained.

Is there anything I can do to help the plants? In about a week I can have some sort of filter system fitted, I'm just researching the options available now, possible a full RO system or something that can just filter the high iron.

Can anyone help or advise?

Cheers,
J.

Roots look great, plants look good too. Small imperfections like that can be caused by leaves rubbing each other when the fan blows on them, or if something munchies on them. Inspect them for critters, and keep doing what you're doing.

FWIW your well water isn't too bad. My city water is 160ppm from the tap, and leaves an orange tint in the commode within a few days. Works just fine in my dwc. :)

Back
Top Bottom