1st Time DWC Seedling Help

MReilly

Hello:

I am having some trouble with a seedling or two.

Setup:

HYDRO: DWC
Strain: THC Bomb (hybrid, don't know %)
#plants: 5
Rez size: 6 gallons
Rez type: DIY (Rubbermaid cooler)
Nutrients: General Hydroponics Flora w/CaliMagic Supplement.
Medium: Rockwood/hydroton
AVG Temp: 72°F

Symptom(s):
Stunted growth, curling/dropping leaves, rising pH, roots not growing

They should not need much food at this point.

Have you got roots in the water yet?

One thing I would say is next time root in Rapid Rooter's instead of RW and you will have better roots with less issues.

If the roots are not in the water then you should be top watering until they are. I would top water two or three times a day for a few days even if they have made it to the water to keep the hydroton nice and wet to build up more roots.

If you live in the US I would highly recommend getting some z7 water treatment. It will take care of all kinds of root issues and make doing DWC a lot easier.

It looks like your plants are only few inches a part. It says you have 5 plants in a 6gal tub. If so. That will become an issue very fast when they start to grow out.

What do you have for light?

Thanks for the quick response.

The light I'm using is a 300W Viparspectra Full Spectrum LED. I have it on a 18/6 schedule.

I have a 2tW crappy CFL to look at plant health as LEDs wash color.

I do not have roots coming through yet.

I accidentally over watered these guys in the beginning. My healthiest looking seedling now actually uprooted and fell over in the beginning.

The bottoms of the net pots are 3 inches from the water, but are constantly wet due to the 2 air pumps and 4 bubbles stones.

The stems are thick. The one seedling that I have in the pictures is the only one that looks like that. The rest are squatty but not growing at all. Their second set of leaves have started growing Sunday.

Last week I had slime in the res. Dumped it, washed it, soaked stones in vinegar for a few hours. During this time the plants were in an empty rez with light. That is when their new leaves sprouted and some began to fan out.

The nutrients I have them are 1/8 the recommended dosage.

Should I flush the rez of nutrients and proceed with fresh water?

When the plants get bigger I'll select the healthiest and pull the rest. I plan on SOG or SCROG.

MReilly 1st DWC Big Bomb GJ - 2017

Slime is a big deal and it will come back unless you use something to stop it.

Z7, Hydrogaurd or something else along those lines unless you want to make beneficial tea. Tea is a pain and it smells. But it will work.

If it was me I would use z7 in the rez and I would be pouring the water with it over them. It will keep everything clean and free of slime and root rot.

Those are the biggest issues for most when starting dwc. You need to make a plan for how you will deal with them. Because without running a water chiller they are almost a sure thing.

Some people would set the water level 1" up into the hydroton to help get them started. I like 1" below and top water until I see roots.

DukeO,

I did have them 1inch into the netpot and I "drowned" them somehow. I did have a wick in there to keep them wet. I think that caused an issue.

The Rockwool is still damp without being drenched. I'll take a picture later tonight. Basically the bottom half of the netpot is wet due to the massive amount of bubbles.

My water temp is about 65° since the ambient air temp is 62° without the light on.

The slime started because I turned off the airpumps for some reason and I let the pH go crazy (got close to 8).

I'm on top of that now.

Should I top water with a spray bottle with no nutes?

Should my temp in the cabinet be higher?

Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks

Here is a better pic of the seedling.

IMG_20170207_222410.jpg
IMG_20170207_222313.jpg
IMG_20170207_222629.jpg

Had problems too getting mine off too. I would think ph problems. I have a gallon tub i use for cloning, but i found its great for seedlings too. A little great white and my roots took off.

to each their own and mine to smoke

I keep pH between 5.5 and 6.3.

The other seedlings are doing OK.

See my grow journal in my signature for the other ones.

Thanks!

I would get something for the slime/roots and then be pouring it over(i mean from the rez) the hydroton to flush it out and to bring fresh oxygenated water into the RW.

The leaves should not need any watering. It is about the roots. RW will keep them wet. But if you don't flush in fresh water to the roots to start them growing to reach the water. The plants can get stuck in a limbo.

That is one of the reasons I do not like RW.

I use a battery transfer pump I got on amazon to pump water over them if needed.

They cost less then $20 and work great for dwc.

DukeO,

Should I get Z7 or Hydroguard?

Of these two, which have you had the best results?

Thanks,

MReilly

Duke,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll pick up some z7 tonight if my local hydro store has it. Otherwise I'll get it from Amazon.

-MR

DukeO,

Z7 is a no go in these cold temps. Hydro shop said they won't ship due to cold. Said go with Hydroguard for now.

Growchy,

I haven't actually given them nutrients via top feed. I just most the plants/hydroton.

I'll flush the system so it's pH'd fresh water without nutes.

My water is all cloudy again. I'm thinking I didn't get all the slime off the stones.

Time for another soak, this time in bleach not vinegar.

I'll update you guys on the progress.

i was reading and it says you shouldnt use vinegar for the rez, something about making more vinegar. Idk about sanitation because thats always been my first choice for cleaning.

to each their own and mine to smoke

OK so here are my updated pics on the sad seedling. It has spots now. Mind you I haven't changed out the rez yet.

Can't tell if over watering, nite burn, root root, etc...

I only used 1/8th the recommended nutes, I top feed by misting with water (wasn't pH'd properly), and originally had these netpots soaked in the rez but since have changed that.

The distance is 3in from the water, still dripping bottoms (lots o bubbles).

Back
Top Bottom