Is there a reason why I shouldn't have an auto top off in my reservoir?

cannoob

My reservoir is a 25 gallon bin. My plants drip feed in rockwool (double stacked 6" blocks), then drain into the reservoir.

I'm finding that I'm often adding fresh water to balance the nutes/pH from creeping up.

I currently have a top off valve running from my RO system into a bucket for topping the reservoir. But Im starting to question whether I'd be better off just plumbing the top off right into the reservoir bucket.

Reservoir already has an emergency overflow drain (also connected to the recirc pump for flushing the reservoir). So if the float valve were to fail open, it would just flush the system essentially.

Is there a crippling reason why I SHOULDN'T do this?

TIA

You should be changing your reservoir out to fresh every 7 to 10 days. That way there is no guessing (even with a meter) for nutrient ppm. Maybe even shrink down your reservoir size. Temperature reservoir fluctuations will affect pH. A smaller reservoir might help alot for a lot of things.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

The ph fluctuations are not significant, no more than about .25 it seems.

My bigger thought was the nutrient fluctuation due to consumption and evaporation. I flush every 2 weeks and intend to maintain that. I was more aiming this process at the in between time where I'm still regularly adding water

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

This would have me adding water more often, the goal was to do it less often.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Hey if hydro was suppose to b easy everyone would use it u could always grow in dirt them really minimize what u have to do rock wool it's self has a high ph I've never grown in just a rock wool cube or two stacked but I don't c how that would work looking at the massive roots on all my Dwc plants but a small Rez changed every 7 days regardless of ph or ppm and u won't have any issues. If your growing for your self there is no reason to not b involved in the grow if that means look at it every 8 hours. Growing is a skill as a gift all u need is to understand the plant and b willing to work with her needs. Lol just like a women .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom