Airstones v Those ring things

phatz06

Yesterday I swapped buckets out for new ones with new nutes, etc. and noticed how the roots are all in the middle (yeah, no &$*#! sherlock) and lots of them.

For my first grow, I bought 4" air stones that are centered in the bucket. After seeing the mess of roots, made me wonder if I had made the right choice. Maybe better for the aeration to come up on the sides of the bucket rather than centered.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

Yesterday I swapped buckets out for new ones with new nutes, etc. and noticed how the roots are all in the middle (yeah, no &$*#! sherlock) and lots of them.

For my first grow, I bought 4" air stones that are centered in the bucket. After seeing the mess of roots, made me wonder if I had made the right choice. Maybe better for the aeration to come up on the sides of the bucket rather than centered.

Is that correct?

Thanks.

I'll be swapping out from the 4" air stones to "those ring things" shortly. In a 5 gallon bucket, the 4" air stone isn't moving enough oxygen for my liking. May I ask which ring thing you are referring to?

I think they are called Air Diffusers and are basically an 8" diameter ring. Haven't looked into different types yet, but thinking I will. I've seen some DIY stuff for those as well.

I think they are called Air Diffusers and are basically an 8" diameter ring. Haven't looked into different types yet, but thinking I will. I've seen some DIY stuff for those as well.

None of the DIYs that I've researched use the same materials and do not produce as much of a bubbling as I'm going for. I picked up a few that look like this:

420-magazine-mobile676582449.jpg

Will be using them in a couple weeks on the next grow.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Articles I've read really point to using something like that. I'll be switching over as well.

If you haven't already discovered, the videos show a 951gph and a 571gph elemental pump in use. Using a smaller air pump gets a nice even bubbling but nowhere near the churn.

Back
Top Bottom