Culling males - Weaker plants in a bubbleponics setup?

waveburglar

I'm going to follow this tutorial for a top fed bubbleponics system. I'm using two sterilite totes for reservoirs, and cutting six holes out of each the lids for grow sites. When asked in the faq why there are six holes per reservoir when there's only room for a plant or two, the answer is that having more sites allows you to start more seedlings and pull the weaker ones eventually.

Top-Fed DWC Cannabis Setup Guide - Bubbleponics | Grow Weed Easy

"Why do you make 6 holes in the lid if you only grow one plant? Should I just drill one hole?"

I make 6 ports so I can start a bunch of seeds and only grow the strongest looking one. After thinning out to just one or a few plants, I still use the extra-holes for-easy access to the reservoir/roots.-However, you could definitely just drill one larger hole, or any combination of holes depending on your needs"

How early can you sex a plant? Do I have to wait until sometime after I've flipped to flower? Won't the plants be big by then with their roots intermingling? Is there a risk of damaging the root ball or leaving behind dead roots to rot in the reservoir?

Reading further answered my question -

You don't have to wait for the flowering stage! Below we'll share two tactics growers use to identify gender in the vegetative stage.

Tactic 1: Preflowers let you identify plants in week 3-6 from seed

Pre-Flowers reveal the gender of your plant by around week 6 from seed, and as early as 3 weeks from seed for some plants.

In this area you'll find pre-flowers nestled where the "joints" of the plant are.

Back
Top Bottom