Bulkhead for a cooler reservoir?

Lonestar11

So I ordered some 2 inch Uni seals to install on a cooler that I plan on re-purposing as my reservoir for my RDWC system

420-magazine-mobile1437007494.jpg

But after looking into the cooler, I realize that it may be too thick for those seals, does anybody have any better suggestions? I want to use the cooler because I figured it would be better at regulating the temperature, but if I have to resort to some kind of thinner wall then I guess that's my only option???

The bulkhead fittings don't have long enough threads for the thick sidewall of a cooler... I stuck with 1/2 stuff i found in the sprinkler section at Home Depot.. I also bought 1/8" x 9" dia. Viton rubber off ebay for gasket material.. $9 shipped...... see my led grow thread.. Insulating the tubing helps..

How does it work for a gasket? Leaks? Have any up close pics of the assembly?

Due to the dual sidewall design a cooler is not a ideal container to use , I would use just the inner layer of it and cut the outer layer away to allow a bulkhead fitting to be attached if really wanted / needed to use one.

I don't like it though due to the thin inner plastic.

Instead use something like a Brute Tote and insulate to suit your needs.

Here is my set up with a 20 gal Brute tote

IMG_017254.JPG

IMG_019057.JPG

Due to the dual sidewall design a cooler is not a ideal container to use , I would use just the inner layer of it and cut the outer layer away to allow a bulkhead fitting to be attached if really wanted / needed to use one.

I don't like it though due to the thin inner plastic.

Instead use something like a Brute Tote and insulate to suit your needs.

Here is my set up with a 20 gal Brute tote

IMG_017254.JPG

IMG_019057.JPG

What is it about the dual sidewalls that make the cooler a bad idea? I figured it'd help with controlling the water temp, plus it has a drain

The problem your having now makes it a bad idea solve it and your golden

When you try to squeeze the dual wall tight with a bulk head it compresses rather then seals tightly like a single wall.

For a leak proof endeavor I suggest a single wall but its your choice and your floor do what ever strikes you as best.

The problem your having now makes it a bad idea solve it and your golden

When you try to squeeze the dual wall tight with a bulk head it compresses rather then seals tightly like a single wall.

For a leak proof endeavor I suggest a single wall but its your choice and your floor do what ever strikes you as best.

Makes sense, but I Already ordered the damn bulkheads for the cooler . gonna drill the holes and give it a test run anyways once parts arrive

Most people don't move their systems about but if you limit the hose and tanks movement you will likely be leak free.

I used grommets that were originally made for the general hydroponics aeroflo system

They are basically a thick well designed grommet that seals by the pipes sidewall pressure.

$25 for 10 of them sized 1 7/8 OD with a 1.6 inch ID which fits the outside of the thick wall #40 1 1/4 ID PVC pipe.

Confused yet ?

Welcome to grommet and pipe sizing haha

Most people don't move their systems about but if you limit the hose and tanks movement you will likely be leak free.

I used grommets that were originally made for the general hydroponics aeroflo system

They are basically a thick well designed grommet that seals by the pipes sidewall pressure.

$25 for 10 of them sized 1 7/8 OD with a 1.6 inch ID which fits the outside of the thick wall #40 1 1/4 ID PVC pipe.

Confused yet ?

Welcome to grommet and pipe sizing haha

lol not at all, the bulkheads I ordered fit a 2" #40 pvc, and the grommets I'm using on my 5gal are uniseals that fit the 2" pvc... After I install the bulkhead into the cooler, run it etc, if it doesn't leak, the cooler stays. If it does leak, I have a spare pair of uniseals and a tote to replace the cooler/bulkheads as the res.

Looks like you put alot of thought into the design , good one.

Its going to serve you welll , well worth the effort too.
Just finished my first run with a 4 bucket diy rdwc and got a few lbs of well flushed bud out of it.

Using Remos nutrients 85 lpm of air and a sterile resi with DM Zone water conditioner.

Water culture rocks !

Just starting the 2nd run now , using some cheap 100w fullspectrum cobs powered to 50w to start them off.
Im building some cree cobs to add in with the Mars panels currently using.

IMG_085445.JPG

Back
Top Bottom