Help with this 2 week old seedling - Girl Scout

shedhead

Hi all - first time proper post and first time using pics so forgive me if I've got the process wrong

Been away for a couple of days and came back to see the biggest lady out of my seedlings looking a bit worse for wear

Girl Scout auto raised from seed

its a DWC, in rapid rooters

LED grow light on veg

Used RO water for the grow so far

Water temp 23 degrees - have now turned chiller on

PH 5.8 - 6 (auto ph system installed)

Humidity about 50%

Temp 26 degrees

Had been hand watering but put drippers on whilst away - only short drips tho - almost minimum. 4 times a day for 15 mins at a time

This lady had formed quite a long root base in the DWC already about a foot long

So did a water change last night, and added feed using GHE flora nova

Also rhizo root tonic

All minimal amount as some of the ladies are a bit smaller than this one. None of those are showing the same problem but all at least a 3rd smaller.

I've also upped the amount of water/feed thats coming out of the drippers to a a suucession of 4 drips per sec - the supplier said to go all out when they pop but thought this was too much?

This pic was taken just now, i got back last night and did the water change etc - but didn't take a picture in my angst to get it sorted - think it looked a bit worse last night but might be my mind playing tricks and lack of sleep/18 hr days!

In dwc the goal is to get the roots into the reservoir. I only top feed until this happens. I also only top feed twice a day by pouring approximately 16oz around the outer perimeter of my plant placement. With the smaller netpot that you have you can probably use a cup of water instead of a pint like I do.

A few things you didn't mention were air flow, and how/when your pH meter was calibrated. The airflow will help strengthen the stems and keep the leaves dry avoiding burn. The pH meter if out of calibration will drive you mad. Good luck.

In dwc the goal is to get the roots into the reservoir. I only top feed until this happens. I also only top feed twice a day by pouring approximately 16oz around the outer perimeter of my plant placement. With the smaller netpot that you have you can probably use a cup of water instead of a pint like I do.

A few things you didn't mention were air flow, and how/when your pH meter was calibrated. The airflow will help strengthen the stems and keep the leaves dry avoiding burn. The pH meter if out of calibration will drive you mad. Good luck.

Hi thanks for the reply

About half of the plant roots from the 6 in the system are in the reservoir to some degree - this one is right in, roots finding their way into the furthest corner already.

I set the auto ph system up as per instructions using 2 test solutions and it was bang on. I must admit haven't tested since (2 weeks ago) will do that today with a separate test kit.

Air flow, i have 2 air stones in the DWC feeding 9" long and a gentle fan up above on the leaves.

The system is an all in one solution from Growbox USA, and on the instructions it says to run the drip heads 4 x a day for 15 mins. Once seeds pop, open heads right up. They are rested on the top of the Rapid Rooters.

I'm a complete & total noob so just doing as I was told - so really looking fwd to learning from you guys.

Calibrate once a month, store properly, and you're good to go. The spots aren't bad, not even anything I would give a second look if it were mine unless they continue to spread. From the looks of it the spots are right where the leaf would touch were they to relax a bit. Probably got damp and a bit of burn. Drive on. :)

Edit...If it were me I would discontinue the drippers on the plants with roots in the reservoir.

Calibrate once a month, store properly, and you're good to go. The spots aren't bad, not even anything I would give a second look if it were mine unless they continue to spread. From the looks of it the spots are right where the leaf would touch were they to relax a bit. Probably got damp and a bit of burn. Drive on. :)

Edit...If it were me I would discontinue the drippers on the plants with roots in the reservoir.

Thank you - i certainly will! Really enjoying things so far, the process itself has been a brilliant stress reliever to get involved with outside of my normal hectic schedule.

Thank you - i certainly will! Really enjoying things so far, the process itself has been a brilliant stress reliever to get involved with outside of my normal hectic schedule.

I start each day with a small garden ritual and reservoir maintenance. It's definitely a zen thing. :Namaste:

Me too - helps to clear my head of the all the guff I deal with in the day to come that really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things!

The little one top centre is a GSC that had its tap root go north instead of south - so that was a few days behind going in after i assisted it in going the right way - wonder its gonna be a bit stunted?

Back
Top Bottom