3D Printed Root Lattice

sammysnake

I have avoided doing DWC so far because I enjoy maintaining a single reservoir, wanted to avoid root rot type issues and just generally wanted to experiment a bit in a unique direction that I haven't seen around here. That said the method of hydro I have undertaken (one successful harvest under my belt) is top drip, recirculating.

One of my problems with my last grow was that all the roots bunched up at the bottom of the bucket which was defeating my desire to have the roots mostly exposed to air. In my attempt to solve this problem I have now started using paint strainers attached to the bottom of the net pot.
IMG_79832.JPG

This has been going fairly well but I had the thought if there was a way to slow the roots down and make them branch through a airy medium, it would promote a healthy network of roots. I envisioned a 3d lattice cube type structure and couldn't think of any type of material that is available for purchase. Since I recently bought a 3d printer, I thought I would take a stab at printing my own.

Here is what I came up with:
DS20545.jpg
DS20541.jpg

So far so good, seems to be doing its job. If you look closely you can start to see the roots travelling through the cube.

Will post pictures here as the grow progresses. :D

Grow so far:
DS20559.jpg

I do like being able to inspect roots. Having a bucket full of a hydroton is a rather permanent solution for the length of the grow.

Also hydroton might not provide the same root density or oxygen exposure. But it is something to consider.

I love being able to inspect the roots in my reservoir as well. The people who visit my setup seem to feel the same; showing them the roots always gets a reaction. It's like having a window into the secret, subterranean world. :)

Back
Top Bottom