Hydroponics Quesions

austinb9

hello everyone!:ciao:

been following many posts and threads on this site but never got around to making an account until now

Been doing lots of research and wanted a second opinion on a few questions of mine

I recently built a RDWC Undercurrent system using 4; 5 Gallon buckets and a epicenter.

Question 1: (I am using R/O water) In a top off reservoir, do you just add water or do you add some nutrients to replace the ones the plants eat up? I plan on flush and filling the system every 7-10 days if I can.

Question 2: On a rdwc undercurrent system, do you guys run a drip system? and what do you recommend if so, a drip ring, or two drip stakes?
and do you put your dripper on a timer? or just let it drip all the time?
I was thinking, if it drips all the time i might just put a Tee connector on the return line and run a drip manifold. but if timer I will put my second submersible pump in the epicenter and run it to a drip manifold.

Question 3:
how do you guys hang your clip on fans? can't seem to get a good position for it.

any help/ suggestions are hugely appreciated

Thanks guys!

here are some pics of the tent/epicenter

unnamed_1_14.jpg
unnamed_2_11.jpg
unnamed_4_9.jpg
unnamed_3_11.jpg

hello everyone!:ciao:

been following many posts and threads on this site but never got around to making an account until now

Been doing lots of research and wanted a second opinion on a few questions of mine

I recently built a RDWC Undercurrent system using 4; 5 Gallon buckets and a epicenter.

Question 1: (I am using R/O water) In a top off reservoir, do you just add water or do you add some nutrients to replace the ones the plants eat up? I plan on flush and filling the system every 7-10 days if I can.

Question 2: On a rdwc undercurrent system, do you guys run a drip system? and what do you recommend if so, a drip ring, or two drip stakes?
and do you put your dripper on a timer? or just let it drip all the time?
I was thinking, if it drips all the time i might just put a Tee connector on the return line and run a drip manifold. but if timer I will put my second submersible pump in the epicenter and run it to a drip manifold.

Question 3:
how do you guys hang your clip on fans? can't seem to get a good position for it.

any help/ suggestions are hugely appreciated

Thanks guys!

here are some pics of the tent/epicenter

I run a Current Culture Under Current 6XL, a DIY under current 9, 5.6 gal containers, 8 DWC buckets and a whole bunch in coco in a variety of flood/drain, hand feed and drip. I have my hands full... But - I would recommend reading the guides over on Current Culture's site - they know how to RDWC -

Here's my opinion on the answers to your questions:
1 - You want your top of rez to be the strength of what you want your next week's nutes to be. It kind of depends on how much your plants are taking up. Ideally, your rez would be the same size as your system volume and the plants use it up and it gently steers toward the next nute concentration. Some people top off with just RO but if you're watching your PPM's from day to day, you'll know what they need. If your PPM's are dropping, they need more nutes, if it's rising, they need less nutes (RO). When it's just right it will stay rock steady.

2 - I don't drip feed at all - ever. Not in DWC or RDWC. It just adds another potential headache. Current Culture recommends running the system level 2" ABOVE the base of the net pots to allow lateral growth of the roots from the sides as opposed to giant ropes that form UNDER the netpot when there is an air gap. I agree with their recommendation. This way gives probably 20% more roots than with an air gap - which means 20% more growth up top.

I also don't ever use any sort of rooting plug (rock wool, rapid rooter). They are another source of issues in DWC if they stay too wet. I grow out clones and seedlings with roots only in a cloning bubble bucket. When roots are long enough, I transplant into the netpot, feeding the roots down through the bottom and then back feed with hydroton. Then there's no need to top feed until roots show through. Also, no headaches with rooting plugs...

I use wall mounted fans and a few stand up type.

Do you have a reservoir ? How did you hook it up to your eight buckets I have four buckets and would like to add a reservoir

I would suggest u get yourself a ppm and ph meter if you don't already have one as checking them both is a must have with rdwc...If your running sterile which I believe all rdwc should be pick up some h202 and pool shock stage 2 they absolutely do wonders and will keep your system silky smooth w pearly white roots..Well that depends on your nutes u run...For liquid nutes for rdwc I like cultured solutions best ...However I run dry nutes it's much much cheaper and easier I think too...A lot easier to dial things in....
I also highly recommend you get some silica I like agsil 16h potassium silicate it's like $11 for 1lb I believe...
I personally hate hydroton in which I use growstones gs-1 which they no longer exist however lucky for you someone has a pallet they are selling on Amazon $34 per 1.5cuft bag which is cheap so I would recommend it...
They also don't warp and destroy your net pots like bs hydroton does much easier to clean and sterilize too and a fuck ton lighter too and more sterile too so get em while u can....
Also please get that airpump off the ground and put it higher than your water level or if the pump goes out for any reason your entire system will flood thru the pump and you will have a waiting pool in that room and it will destroy your pump ...I suggest you build a PVC stand for it so you can put it at any height u want and still have access below it but it also gives u airflow to the bottom which keeps it cooler which keeps ur system cooler as well....

I also would keep a eye on your temps in your rdwc too I can give u some cooling tips if u need it anything about 71 gna give u a problem water wise 68 is best for oxygen wise...
I kept my water level 1in below the netpot air layer is very important as it makes it so ur plant can breathe ....I also used 8in current culture netpots which they have a 3in netpot upside down on the bottom of their pots is the best way to explain it and they are super nice too..
Your going to have to keep a eye on your drain lines tho for root clogs tho just FYI so keep a eye on ea of your bucket levels as if one of them is down it will cause problems and can even flood...Or can kill the plant if it drinks it all like in full flower...
A top off reservoir is a must have as well as the plants like having a constant water level u can start to lower it in late flower so they think of it as a drought and can be nice for a lil str3ss...But for veg no keep it as level as possible...U just get a container like a trash can a new one and get one that will be big enough to last u a week ..And just put it a week ahead I also usually run my ph lower in my top off at like 5.2 even and the reg system 5.8-6.3....U will need a float valve to put in ur epicenter aka control bucket so that's how u control the level of the system...I would suggest the 1/2 float valve as the 3/8 tiny ones clog very very easily and they are a bitch to clean....A spin filter is a nice add on to have as well ....
Now u can run a waterfall setup if u don't want to run air stones u would just use the return pump make a manifold to go to ea bucket evenly and there u go...
If you plan on upgrading in the future I would suggest rectangle or square buckets and please buy bulkheads don't waste your time or money on uniseals unless they are above the water line but I do not trust them....Here's my veg setup that I built I'm happy to help too answer questions ......
IMG_20200510_100617.jpg
IMG_20200510_100621.jpg
IMG_20200201_070349.jpg
IMG_20200106_102001.jpg
IMG_20191228_153324.jpg

I run a Current Culture Under Current 6XL, a DIY under current 9, 5.6 gal containers, 8 DWC buckets and a whole bunch in coco in a variety of flood/drain, hand feed and drip. I have my hands full... But - I would recommend reading the guides over on Current Culture's site - they know how to RDWC -

Here's my opinion on the answers to your questions:
1 - You want your top of rez to be the strength of what you want your next week's nutes to be. It kind of depends on how much your plants are taking up. Ideally, your rez would be the same size as your system volume and the plants use it up and it gently steers toward the next nute concentration. Some people top off with just RO but if you're watching your PPM's from day to day, you'll know what they need. If your PPM's are dropping, they need more nutes, if it's rising, they need less nutes (RO). When it's just right it will stay rock steady.

2 - I don't drip feed at all - ever. Not in DWC or RDWC. It just adds another potential headache. Current Culture recommends running the system level 2" ABOVE the base of the net pots to allow lateral growth of the roots from the sides as opposed to giant ropes that form UNDER the netpot when there is an air gap. I agree with their recommendation. This way gives probably 20% more roots than with an air gap - which means 20% more growth up top.

I also don't ever use any sort of rooting plug (rock wool, rapid rooter). They are another source of issues in DWC if they stay too wet. I grow out clones and seedlings with roots only in a cloning bubble bucket. When roots are long enough, I transplant into the netpot, feeding the roots down through the bottom and then back feed with hydroton. Then there's no need to top feed until roots show through. Also, no headaches with rooting plugs...

I use wall mounted fans and a few stand up type.
Thank you so much for all your information and help

Back
Top Bottom