In 1.5 days my babies went from good to Uh-Oh! Need help!

Race

420 Member
So I have been watering these a little each day being careful not to allow the rockwool to dry out.- I woke up today to check on my babies and they look like they're dying.- They're about 10 days old, I germinated them w/o any issues, then stuck them into rockwool which I presoaked with 0-50 ppm distilled water and 5.8 ph.- I have been watering them with that presoak everyday now for 10 days.- They're under 2 Full Spectrum F17T8, 17 watt, 5500K, 24 inch lights, and I have a very small fan circulating the air above them.- I read that I should be giving them nutrients around 100-200 ppm, ph 5.8; so I mixed up a gallon of distilled water and added technaflora root 66, and sugar daddy (2 tsp each) which ended up being 167 ppm.- I haven't sprayed them yet, instead I put them inside the plastic propagation chamber and opened the vents on top.- Still under the lights, and still has the fan circulating air.- Lights are 18 on 6 off and temp is around 78'.

My goal is to eventually transplant these rockwool starter plugs into 4x4", keep them in the veg stage, then clone them, with the intention of putting the clones into-my ebb and flow/bubbler/hydro-garden under some kind 1k led lights w/ some more kind supplemental led strips.

Can someone help identify if these babies are loved to death (over watered), or under watered?- In about a day and a half they went from doing good, to ut oh!!!- See pics...- I'm heart broken and need some feedback.-

I anxiously await any replies.- Thanks in advance guys!

IMG_20170805_165549.png
IMG_20170805_165545.png
IMG_20170803_073334.png

The first thing to do here is to not panic and just relax. It's all part of learning. They are young and if it requires restarting, yes it's defeating but you carry on moving forward.

If I had to guess I would say these are potentially your issues.

1. You're scorching them with nutes. 200ppm is low, but those feeder leaves are there by design, they don't need nutes yet. In a few weeks after popping out of the soil you can start considering very light nutes. I would be watering with just water for a little while and monitor the new growth. Don't look for damaged growth to get fixed.

2. Ph issue. I am wondering if maybe your gauge is off or you're running the PH slightly low. Hard to say.

And that's exactly what I thought about the nutes... I actually haven't used any at this point; I may not have actually made that clear. I held off even though I mixed the solution. (eventually I'm going to use it) I have been using literally 0-20 ppm distilled water; just tested it and it's at 6 ppm. Zero nutes, and my PH is at a 5.5 - 6 right now. I take a sample, and then I add my drops to it, and then match the color to the chart... (for PH testing)

I'm so sad... :c

So I have been watering these a little each day being careful not to allow the rockwool to dry out.

Based on my experience, I'm 99% sure your're drowning them. Rock wool can hold so much water that if you water every day, you will prevent oxygen from reaching the roots and the leaves will sag, and even if the plant doesn't die, it's growth will practically stop.

Yours look pretty far gone, but you might be able to save them. Have a look at the link to my last grow below.

Scientific's Hydro Dwarf Low Flyer 24/7 Illumination Fireplace Grow Journal - 2017

Another takeaway, BTW, is not to use rock wool. Breathing the dust is much like breathing asbestos--fibers can get in your lungs and don't come out. And there are way better products these days. Check out "Rapid Rooters," everyone's fave, as far as I can see.

Back
Top Bottom