RDWC question

dooxy

Hey

I just needed some help, am planing in the future to setup my 2x 5 gallon DWC buckets in to a RDWC system.
Lock in my country(not US) we only have pool shop that sell overpriced PVC parts.

My question is for the outline in the bottom of the buckets can they be the same as the re-flow?
something like 0.74 inch we just 19mm measurements. That is like standard garden hose i think. Anyways i have access to every kind of fitting know to man in this measurement. So would it work?

Or must i have a thicker return pipe in the bottom?

Thanks

Good question & I don't know the answer. In my mind, 19mm would not provide enough flow. 1 1/2" ABS is commonly available, 2" is a bit rarer. Rather than the pipe, it is the fittings on the buckets that are hardest to get. My 2" Uniseals cost $12 each & I had to order them from the US. Normal bulkhead fittings won't seal on a curved surface so Uniseals are the way to go in many cases. Aquarium shops are a potential source for fittings & pipe as well.

Ian

I run 5 gal DWC buckets. When I go out of town I will hook two buckets together with a hose that is about 19mm.

It works fine for about a week.

But the water is being pulled into the bucket with the plant as it's water drops.

So the roots are not an issue.

But with 19mm for RDWC I think there would be some real root issues.

5 gal DWC buckets work great by themselves.

As long as they can be checked about every 48hrs with a good size plant in flower.

Hook two buckets together when needed and you could go 5 or six days without tending them.

Well i only have a 4x2 tent so i can only fit 2x 5 gallon buckets. But i need to huck up a chiller the buckets. So i think it will be easy to just make a RDWC with 3 buckets total and the chiller.

I built an Undercurrent DWC in a 2x4 with 2 x 12 gal totes inside the tent (covers most of the floor space with a 17 gal tote rez outside the tent.

Ian

My will be 2x 5 gal in the tent 1 x 5 gal out side as a res and the chiller added to that. I also want a under current system. That is why i was asking regarding the pipes, i have shop that sells 19mm fittings, so i can do 19mm on the return and the refill circulation. :)

My will be 2x 5 gal in the tent 1 x 5 gal out side as a res and the chiller added to that. I also want a under current system. That is why i was asking regarding the pipes, i have shop that sells 19mm fittings, so i can do 19mm on the return and the refill circulation. :)

If that is what your wanting to do. You will most likely run into a lot of issues with the roots clogging the line with that small of a return.

Maybe you could put some screen over it or make some kind of screen box to get more flow.

I run DWC buckets without a chiller with rez temps up to 80f

How hot would yours run at without the chiller?

If that is what your wanting to do. You will most likely run into a lot of issues with the roots clogging the line with that small of a return.
Maybe you could put some screen over it or make some kind of screen box to get more flow.
I run DWC buckets without a chiller with rez temps up to 80f
How hot would yours run at without the chiller?

My buckets used to hover between 78 and 80. I used plenty of Hydroguard and all was fine. With the new COB lights the temps are right at 68 consistently.

My buckets used to hover between 78 and 80. I used plenty of Hydroguard and all was fine. With the new COB lights the temps are right at 68 consistently.

Well i have had the issue of running on to plenty of issue. I can't get Hydroguard where am from, And i don't want to import anything true customs that can get flagged. so am just going to figure out a rdwc and attached the chiller i all ready purchased. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom