Best RaspberyPi Grow Room Software

Niwashi

Hi All,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. I was split between this sub form and the DIY one.

New to the forums. Decided to sprout some seeds on a whim and just finished ordering up a 4x4 tent and some lights :)

I travel a fair amount for work and want to set up an automated hydroponics system using a RaspberryPi. After googling arounf for a while I found a few different projects:

YeildBuddy looks the most promising, however the project looks like it has not had any activity in over a year. RaspiViV is active but seems more geared towards keeping a vivarium and not a grow, it does support multiple relays, so I'm sure it could be modified to fit a grow, and several people on their forms have added support for water/air pumps, etc.

Looking for some feedback on the various platforms and which one is preferred in the growing community!

-Niwashi

Hi All,

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place. I was split between this sub form and the DIY one.

New to the forums. Decided to sprout some seeds on a whim and just finished ordering up a 4x4 tent and some lights :)

I travel a fair amount for work and want to set up an automated hydroponics system using a RaspberryPi. After googling arounf for a while I found a few different projects:

YeildBuddy looks the most promising, however the project looks like it has not had any activity in over a year. RaspiViV is active but seems more geared towards keeping a vivarium and not a grow, it does support multiple relays, so I'm sure it could be modified to fit a grow, and several people on their forms have added support for water/air pumps, etc.

Looking for some feedback on the various platforms and which one is preferred in the growing community!

-Niwashi
If you haven't yet, check out the open source "home assistant" which is a home automation software for the raspberrypi and others. I plan to implement this into my grow room sometime in the future! Alot of features including fan, temp, lights, and alot others. Worth a closer look for sure!

I didn't know there was any pre-written stuff for the RPi. I am going to check out that 'Home Assistant' you mentioned. Any links to that?

I wrote my own code or patched together what I could find from others to put this little monitor together. I'm still working on it.

Across the top is the moisture levels of each pot. To the right is a cam into both my rooms (veg and flower) clicking either cam shot takes you to that room.

I want to make drop downs so I can chart from a few hours to about 70 to 80 days.

RPi_interface.jpg

I didn't know there was any pre-written stuff for the RPi. I am going to check out that 'Home Assistant' you mentioned. Any links to that?

I wrote my own code or patched together what I could find from others to put this little monitor together. I'm still working on it.

Across the top is the moisture levels of each pot. To the right is a cam into both my rooms (veg and flower) clicking either cam shot takes you to that room.

I want to make drop downs so I can chart from a few hours to about 70 to 80 days.

RPi_interface.jpg

Yes the link is Home Assistant I hope it's okay to post external links on here?

They also have monitoring listed under the "components" category so I think it will do alot of what your looking for :). If you decide to give it a shot you should definitely keep this post updated on your setup!

I'm waiting until I move to try any of the home automation stuff but that should be in about a week or so hopefully!

Hi All,

-Niwashi

Hi Niwashi -- Welcome! Man, I am behind on my tech. I didn't realize this stuff was out there though of course it makes sense. Thanks for pointing it out. :thumb:

@missgreenbud: Thank you for the link, I really like the front end that they put together with python.

@Ringodog: Yea there are a few pre-rolled varieties. In my further searching I have found Reef-Pi. It even controls dosing nutrients! When you think about it, a tank controller should do everything we need for hydro. Pumps, lights, dosing, chiller, fans etc

I like the all the measurements you are taking. Are you just monitoring CO2 or do you have a relay controlling a high pressure solenoid?

@Scientific: Thanks for the welcome! Hopefully we can put together a pretty turnkey software suite that the community can use!

Link for Reef-Pi: reef-pi - An opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi

:allgood: Niwashi

@Scientific: I would be open to that, in the meantime we can just use this thread to track it.

The more reading I do on Reef-Pi the more I like it. It is built for maintaining reef tanks, but I think it could be used for a hydro setup very easily. I just flashed my RasPi3 back to stock and loaded Reef-Pi, very simple to configure. It allows you to set up outlets, and then define under what conditions the outlets run under. Input from sensors to control outles seems only to be there for temp and water top off, but I think the same logic could be used for PH. Everything else would need to be scheduled on an on/off daily basis.

Has anyone on here pleayed around with Reef-Pi at all?

Also, is linking to other forms allowed? If so I will link to the development discussion for reef-pi

You know, if there's enough interest, maybe we could get the moderators to create a dedicate forum--something like "Automated Growing."
That would be awesome! With devices like the raspberry pi and arduinos I'd think someone could come up with a pretty badass fully automated grow room! I'm excited to see if anyone just goes for it and starts an automation project! (I so wish I had money to throw at stuff like this, I feel like I'd have multiple projects going back to back lol.)

@Ringodog I'm still debating which way I want to go for my first grow. Soil seems so much more forgiving.

I have gotten together a few people to help me dev this. I hope to start making some real progress soon. Most likely we are going to fork reef-pi and go from there. On missgreenbud's suggestion I am going to be mindful of how home assistant reads data because I think having integration with an automation suite is important. I would love to hit one page and manage my growroom, nest, Alexa, smart plugs etc

Back
Top Bottom