what hydro setups can u use with coco

Ok, I have a mate who has been growing in coco coir for a while now, and have some tips:

Don't mix organic nutrients (guano, etc) with your coco grow, causes serious salt problems.

Use coco specific nutrients (canna coco, etc), they have very specific formulas with increased magnesium and lowered amounts of calcium (because coco leeches magnesium from your nutrient solution, but holds calcium). They also have a lower salt content, and nutrients are chelated meaning they don't have to sit in your medium waiting to break down naturally.

Feed like a hydro grow. IE. water with 15% runoff, every other day, despite weight or water content of container.

Do not mix with anything other than inert mediums (perilite, vermicullite, hydroton) and nutrients.

If you need any help with a problem in coco, ask Racefan. Same for dwc, nft and vertical aeroponics.

Coco works best for dwc, ebb and flow and especially great for a run to waste set up. NFT isn't the best as it has a stream of running water but can work if one is inclined. In recirc set ups like dwc or ebb and flow you need a sock or net pump cover to keep particles from going through it as coco releases particles. It also naturally releases potassium as it gets older.
I disagree with the feed schedule above although I have done it that way with okay results. I use pure blend pro for coco or soil nutes. There is one part for grow (veg cycle) and 1 part bloom (flower cycle). The best feeding cycle I used was with a run to waste set up and fed 4 times a day with a total run off of 10%. Coir is almost impossible to over water with. It only holds so much moisture and the rest runs off. Now this doesn't apply with set ups like ebb and flow. If you leave it in a flooded table it will float and anything growing in it will die.lol Just use common sense.

Coco works best for dwc, ebb and flow and especially great for a run to waste set up. NFT isn't the best as it has a stream of running water but can work if one is inclined. In recirc set ups like dwc or ebb and flow you need a sock or net pump cover to keep particles from going through it as coco releases particles. It also naturally releases potassium as it gets older.
I disagree with the feed schedule above although I have done it that way with okay results. I use pure blend pro for coco or soil nutes. There is one part for grow (veg cycle) and 1 part bloom (flower cycle). The best feeding cycle I used was with a run to waste set up and fed 4 times a day with a total run off of 10%. Coir is almost impossible to over water with. It only holds so much moisture and the rest runs off. Now this doesn't apply with set ups like ebb and flow. If you leave it in a flooded table it will float and anything growing in it will die.lol Just use common sense.

Okay thanx 4 the input, i'll take yr advice and do more research on the subject.

Currently running my ebb&flow with coco for the first time and I'm really liking it.. I am using 1 gal Smart Pots and flood just over 1/2 of the height of the bags. Using these pots I haven't "yet" had a problem with sediment or tipping.. but now that it's been mentioned I'll keep an eye on it.. Thanks

(I'm using FloraNova Bloom, it was left over from my hydroton grows and seems to be working even better than it ever did in clay)

Grazz

^^ Hey all! New member here had a quick question on this discussion. I have 6 plants in coco that I want to use in a DWC system that I built. I am using 5 gallon buckets w bubblers and will be setting up a recirculating system soon, can i just stick the coco plants into my 6" net bucket lids and proceed as normal? Should I wash off some of the coco and put grorocks on the edges? Can I use Botanicare Pro line as usual or will I need the added CaMg like standard coco? :peace:

As i am also new to coco hydro Drain to waste setup i can confirm that it is the best medium but thing which one has to consider
1) wash the hell out of them (with 5.5 ph) if the run off are high ph (usually) when first using. Usually happen if coco is from not a good brand.
2) Always add CAL MAG plus to the nutrient solution.
3) Water atleast 2 times a day or 3-4 times a day if you can. Water frequently defines hydroponics and less defines normal grow.
4) (optional) Coco hold water so i add perlite to it because i want it to drain quicker 50% coco + 50 % perlite. But that depends totally on you and 100% coco is very good too.
5) Always add a layer of Hydroton on top this will avoid algae formation + avoid some pest. Also have a layer below so to avoid lots of coco particle runoff and also some pest go and lay egg from below the pot (my observation). a 1/2 - 1inch layer will do.
6) Always check the runoff ph and PPM if they are higher than flush with low nute than add proper nute. (this way you will save your nutes)
7) When adding nute always have a run of of atleast 10-15% this will leech any salt build up in the medium.
8) when you first use it you will notice a little dark water with particles of cooc/perlite in it. That is why when the coco is new atleast water it 2 days 3x times a day this will leech out all the particles and give you smooth output. But there is no harm in the dark or particluted water going into nute.

I hope this will resolve all you problems. I have yet to face any deficiency or any pest (after applying the hydroton layer below and above) problem. I forgot to mention i use GH nutes, botanicare calmag plus & florablend. Do not forget hydroguard (use half the qty when referring to aquashield dosage).

Back
Top Bottom