• Every 2 weeks?

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • After 3 weeks ore more?

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Lucas (never)

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

HeadMed

There are some who never change out and use a nutrient replacement schedual that is referred to as the Lucas Formula

I want to know what everyone thinks and why.

I've a friend who does this... calls it a Lucas method. We have an ongoing argument.

I change my solution out every week. On the smaller reservoirs I aim for twice a week.

He swears I'm making it too hard, and only switches his when he turns to flower.

I'm smoking his weed right now XXXOG Kush, it tastes great, clean, hit's real nice, gets you way medicated and keeps you that way for a good long time.

I'm growing some of the same genetics... actually clones from his plants taken 1 week into flower. Mine are bigger, fuller, and have more trich's than his ever did.

To be fair, my temps are cooler, rezies are bigger and I;m using nutes with a lower starting PH than his... I use Grow More's version of what he's got .. the general hydro 1,2,3, (grow, micro, bloom). Neither one of us used grow..

He's actually got more light than me. I'm running 2 400w HS in an area of 10ft square. He is running a 400w HPS and a 400w MH in an area 4ft square.

I personally don't like the GH 3 part nute. It's what I started with and is super easy to screw up, like double dose a certain part, if one gets stoned before res change out. Did it more than once. Personally I think the res changes are a better practice over the lucas formula. It's also a matter of choice IMO. Yes it's harder but the payout speaks for itself. All I can say is try it for a grow and see what you think. Have him do the same with your method. Who knows...maybe you'll both learn something.lol

If anything else might be added to racefan's comments it might be that small amounts of algae or something might be in his resevoir using up some of the nutes whereas you are eliminating this with frequent changes and so hence a more balanced and thorough range of nutes might be making it to the plants.

I change once every two weeks and am happy with the results...that's all you need IMO but each to their own

What about the fact the plants sucking up what it wants. While letting lvls of other things get a bit high. Greedy ass plant. Each your veggies.

I was under the impression that is why res changes were needed, to keep the lvl's from reaching toxic?

I was just wondering on this today, if you could push it a bit further, how long it would take to get toxic. Guess to many variables to ever be truely sure.

I'm growing some of the same genetics... actually clones from his plants taken 1 week into flower. Mine are bigger, fuller, and have more trich's than his ever did.

To be fair, my temps are cooler, rezies are bigger and I;m using nutes with a lower starting PH than his... I use Grow More's version of what he's got .. the general hydro 1,2,3, (grow, micro, bloom). Neither one of us used grow..

Yours may be fatter and FULLER due to the fact that you took FLOWERING CLONES. When you take clones from a plant that has begun the flowering process you will get a much fuller / tighter noded plant. I use to do this when I didn't have the space for Pre-flowering and always got thicker plants as a result.

You really can't compare your grow to your friends because even minute environmental differences can cause big differences in results. (lights, Tap water quality, nutrients used, Air Temps, Rez Temps, ETC.)

Flowering Clones. Just one idea that suggest you have different looking plants.

Pirate
P.S. I change my Rez every week. (but am considering a Lucas Formula Run for Kicks and Giggles)

well i do a full water change with fresh nuets every 2 weeks
i add 5 gallons fresh water and nuets every week to keep it fresh
and i have had good results thats what i learned on none other than
YOUTUBE go figure
:yummy:

the nutrients will eventually begin to bond into chains too big for your plants to absorb if left in the reservoir too long. It causes lockout. sure you could slow this way down by adding a small circulatory pump in your reservoir, but still.

With this in mind, I would be willing to bet on it that your yield and potency was better because of this fact. also the pH up and down (down especially) settles first. Check out the nutrient lockout chart and think about whats happening with the nutes in the bottom of the res. some nutrients will become available again when the pH is remixed during a cycle, but also, some will not.

:bongrip::bongrip:
I usually change out once every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks during veg and every week during flower. I also use GH 3 part and yeah racefan is right. I have doubled up in the past while stoned and had to trash my whole resevoir. I have since learned to change my nutes before I hit the bong. :grinjoint:

LOL, I second that!!:ganjamon::ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom