Hydroton cleaning

Winkster1

whats the best way way to clean hydroton before reusing?
has to be pain in ass no matter how you look at it.
just flushing with water or would you use a cleaner of some sorts
Thanks Wink

yeah this is a good question....i've seen on a few grow journals where people soak their hydroton in pH 5.5-6.0 water in between grows....

im honestly not really sure why this done....

The easiest way to clean hydroton is to throw it out and buy new each grow. :smokin: unless your using very small amounts. Then it's not quite so daulting to clean it out. When I did try cleaning it in the beginning I got a 5 gallon bucket and drilled lots of holes into it. Filled it with hydroton and let the water run through it. This did clean up all the dirty crap but the roots are another story. That's why I just buy new each grow. The time I was spending cleaning was not worth it to me.

Using the 5 gallon bucket method is a very good way to clean the new hydroton of all that dust before using it in your garden. Just make sure your holes are smaller then the hydroton. I drilled the entire bottom and sides of the bucket.

wish i could but to fill a 2 X 4 tray every 2 mnths might get a little expensive. i figure 50L bag + some. As i promised the better half i wouldnt peddle any smoke to pay for anything and living on SS disabilty makes things tight.
Wink

I have been using simple gree, full strength with no problems , now I have discovered that SIMPLE GREEN has made an anitbacterial cleaning solution that smells great too, i now use this as it should disinfect the pellets. I DO make sure it's rinsed thouroughly tho.

I also use a 5 gal bucket with holes drilled in the bottom up to about 4 or 5 inches from the bottom, allows for quick drainage.

wish i could but to fill a 2 X 4 tray every 2 mnths might get a little expensive. i figure 50L bag + some. As i promised the better half i wouldnt peddle any smoke to pay for anything and living on SS disabilty makes things tight.
Wink

What are you doing with your hydroton that requires so much? Larger scale grow? That seems like a lot to go through every 2 months. Is it possible to cut back on what you do use to stretch it out a little longer? I'm on my 5th grow with my current big bag and still have more than half left. Think green and reduce if possible.;)

At the very least I would recomend washing off you hydroton in the very begining no matter what. I failed to do this step and now my plants are full of red mold and im pretty sure I have to scrap the whole thing and start again.
not rinsing won't cause mold. It will allow the red powder to stain things but it's not mold.

You can clean clay rock growing medium by removeing all organic matter and washing with a solution of 1 part bleach and 1 part water. Then make sure it is rinsed very well like....

Or like mentioned before, clearx, or floraclean. I would expect these products to be a whole lot safer than the bleach.

Im no expert (hope to be one someday;) )but i went out and got a big ass strainer that props up right over my sink and just sprayed those bitches off with a hose. I just use straight water and this has worked for me.

interesting PitViper in another thread said
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

150 ltrs fills 20 2 gallon pots

32.95 per 50ltr bag....do not clean and reuse.ph becomes erratic on the 2nd grow, ive been using hydroton nonstop for a year and know its limitations...

I wonder if pitviper uses hygrozyme or the like. I need to read more of pits threads....

i soak mine in bleach water, then peroxide water, rinse and reuse. bleach disinfects then the peroxide dissolves any root matter you may have left over. im on my 2nd year using the same hydroton with no ph or ppm problems at all...

Do you think that "cooking"the pellets in boiling water and bleach will do the trick?
I was thinking about doing that, then soak in peroxide and wash with tap water.
About to start my own operation and brainstorming some ideas to start with all the info and steps required.
I have found that having things planned ahead of time usually saves me a lot of pain.
Any input guys?

WARNING : don't boil water with bleach as you will emit CL gas which will stink your place and give you a really bad sore throat or worse!!

Back
Top Bottom