Waterfarm 8 Pack - What do folks think?

Proliferation

I am going to start growing hydro in January (definitely not my first grow though) and have been doing a lot of research on different out of the box systems. I am currently leaning toward the waterfarm 8 pack system. I like it due to its simplicity and plan to use a 1000watt HPS cooled light in a space perfect for this system.

This is a picture of the waterfarm 8 pack with controller below:

163344295_tp.jpg

It has 8 drip sites connected to an 8 gallon controller with an additional 13 gallon reservoir on top. It comes ready to go with timers, etc.

At this point I am looking to get some conversation going about the waterfarm 8 pack drip system. Does anyone out there have any pictures of a grow they have done in the waterfarm?

Input both good and bad regarding any experience behind this system is what I am looking for. There also does not seem to be any threads out there dedicated to this system so maybe this would be a great place for people to share their experiences.

Many Thanks in Advance!

Ive heard some bad things about the Waterfarm...Hope it works out for you.

What have you heard SG? I heard that the drip system tends to clog but I feel that could happen with most drip systems.

I don't like how the reservoir is setup. If the float valve malfunctions the top reservoir will flood the bottom one and make a huge mess.

I think I am going to lean towards Stix's advice of going with something like the EBB & Gro. I little bit more pricey up front, but looks to be a better system and fairly inexpensive to add on to. About $75 per six pack and you can go up to 48 sites.

The drip system seems to be everybodies main complaint actually, that and how stupid and complicated the whole system is. Ive never used the system before, nor have I took the proper time to research it thouroughly. But I know enough about it to determine that its suitable for begginers only and if your an experienced hydro grower youll be mad that youve wasted your money when it would be cheaper to set up various other systems.

Thanks for the prompt interest in this issue! I hope to generate as much feedback and interest as possible.

Most of what your comments have stated is very similar to the little feedback I could get regarding this system. I heard people say that they both hated and loved the system for the same reasons so its hard for me to judge. I do think the system has enormous potential but wonder if it's a little too good (and simple) to be true.

A few comments from users of the waterfarm 8 pack:
  • "loved the system due to its simplicity and how easy it was to maintain"
  • "hated the system due to its over and unnecessary complication and that it was not easy to maintain"
  • "lopped irrigation system did not sufficiently supply each individual waterfarm and each site had its own micro environment with varying ph, nutrient, algae, etc levels"
  • "supplied pump was very powerful and had no problem supplying the irrigation ring to all 8 sites equally"
  • "supplied pump failed to equally supply irrigation rings" (this was however due to a bad pump)
  • "upgraded stock reservoir to available 20 gallon texas controller to make using the system easier, works perfect now"
  • "added additional pump to one supplied for irrigation rings so an air stone could be added to each waterfarm site. Made significant improvements on plants overall health and appearance as well as reducing varying nutrient levels between waterfarm sites and algae growth.

My general take away thus far is that the irrigation drip system may be sufficient to supply adult plants (if roots are maintained) but that the lower supply line may not do what its supposed to since all 8 sites are connected in a looped sort of set up. I also wonder if the controller/reservoir is large enough for that system (without making it user intensive by having to add H2O, nutrients, etc quite often) or that air blubbers may be necessary in each site to maintain a healthy system. At this point I think real feedback from someone who has used the system would be awesome. Pictures too!

Ebb and Grow Side Note:

e761_1.JPG

I had a lot of interest in this system in the beginning but decided that it was just too big for what I wanted to do. I figured a 6 site system would be maximum but wondered if then that the rest of the system would be major overkill (both system and investment wise) if it was only supporting 6 sites instead of 12, 36 and even up to 48.

Another issue I had with ebb and flow set-ups like this was how large the 55 gallon drum is and considered if it would be a huge pain to change fluids every 10 days or so. Not to mention a very large reservoir for a 6 site system. These thoughts made me think that potentially a good 6 or 8 site DWC set up (with some kind of reservoir) would be better and then we go back around again to my questions with the waterfarm 8 pack. decisions, decisions, decisions.

It would be great if we could get some discussion going about these systems. Thanks in advance again!

The hydrofarm is not a true ebb and flo set up. It's a recirc drip set up in reality. ebb and flow uses flooding not dripping to feed. A person with reasonable mechanical know how could build one of these types of sysems for about half of what it costs.
I myself would dump the rings and split off the lines to make two drippers per plant. If one clogs the second one still feeds the plant. Been there, done that.lol

Clarifications:
The waterfarm 8 pack system is not an ebb and flow system. I believe the manufacturer considers it a bunch of individual DWC sites connected to one central reservoir. I titled the lower section of my last post side note bc of the comment regarding the ebb and grow kits. However, I was aware that the watefarm is not an ebb and flow system. I apoligize if this has created any confusion for readers.

Additionally, I have not purchased any kits and have just been doing the research for my hydro grow starting in mid January. I can certainly build a system or part of one but do like the convenience of an out of the box solution and don't mind spending an extra 100 for the labor so long as it's a proven system.

Thanks again to all the users leaving feedback and I look forward to more comments!

Starting to look like the waterfarm used by itself, or maybe hooked up to another site, works great but that the 8 pack system is not all that efficient. It's a great idea with potential but doesn't seem to be all there as far as its effectiveness.

I also just made contact with someone through email who has grown in one of these systems who is going to give me even more feedback, maybe pictures too!

I will keep readers posted as soon as I learn more. Starting to think I'm going to build/buy an ebb and flow system for 6 to 8 sites......feedback about that would be awesome too!

Regards

I use 2 waterfarm 8 packs, veg and flowering, IMO, there aint a pro or novice system! This thing has it's advantages. For example: If you were to do SOG, or just wanted to perpetuate your grow, you'd have clones rooted, go into the veg farm, then after a month you transfer JUST the red bucket to the flowering farm, easy nuf, the speculation of the rings clogging is hypothetical, but if your the type that only makes it to the grow room once in a week then you MAY have a problem, I ALWAYS make it a point to chek the rings when i am adding nutes to the res. IF it is clogged which is very rare, i take it off and wash it with dish soap ,andhot water. Thats it. I have produced incredible results with it:

bbwf7_3_.JPG

bbwaterfarm5_2_.JPG

bbcloneswf.JPG

Hi, I just recently join and I'm currently running the waterfarm 8 pack and this is my 1st time going hydro been a soil grower forever. The problem with the waterfarm is each bucket will have different PH and ppm reading so you have to lift and check each bucket, but they do make a circulating kit which I recommend if you decide to get it.
WaterFarm 8-Pack Circulating Upgrade Kit from Growco Indoor Garden Supply
I'm not running the circulating kit as mine been highly modified for a true recirculating system with a 1/15hp chiller, remember the res water temp is very important if you get root rot it's all for nothing.

I say go for it, you won't be dissappointed it will grow some trees! Waterfarm rocks!

These are exactly 2 months old from seed biggest around 2 ft all still in veg mode, and they all been topped and some fan leaves clipped for more yield, maybe another week! you can barely see the buckets.

DSCF02801.JPG

DSCF0282.JPG

Hi, I just recently join and I'm currently running the waterfarm 8 pack and this is my 1st time going hydro been a soil grower forever. The problem with the waterfarm is each bucket will have different PH and ppm reading so you have to lift and check each bucket, but they do make a circulating kit which I recommend if you decide to get it.
WaterFarm 8-Pack Circulating Upgrade Kit from Growco Indoor Garden Supply
I'm not running the circulating kit as mine been highly modified for a true recirculating system with a 1/15hp chiller, remember the res water temp is very important if you get root rot it's all for nothing.

I say go for it, you won't be dissappointed it will grow some trees! Waterfarm rocks!

These are exactly 2 months old from seed biggest around 2 ft all still in veg mode, and they all been topped and some fan leaves clipped for more yield, maybe another week! you can barely see the buckets.

DSCF02801.JPG

DSCF0282.JPG

The buckets should not have differing ph since they are all run off the same reservoir. I have never had a differing ph in each bucket, not sure how your getting those discrepencies, but i have never heard or seen this problem.

Hello and yes they do run off the same reservoir but each plant uses different amount of nukes and you will get different reading, when I had them in the original setup each buckets read different, that's why they came out with the circulating upgrade kit if you read the link it explains everything. The solution doesn't recirculate back to the reservoir that's why you end up with different readings.

If I understand your post...the waterfarm mixes from one plant to another without a central reservoir?Just mixing nutes from one bucket to another without a separate central reservoir? That will just lead to issues like a extremely fast nutrient deficiency or toxicity build up. I admit I've never used the waterfarm set up but I have built tons of dwc's with and without drips and most used a central reservoir for solution. If I didn't run a central reservoir all plants were isolated with there own internal reservoir (5 gal buckets work great for this) and all solution was kept separate from the other plants solution.

It doesn't really mix from one bucket to another, each bucket will draw solution from the reservior, but every plant is not the same each will consume different amount so you will end up with different reading, as the water level drop in the plant buckets the controller will release more solution to make sure they are top off to the correct level.

It doesn't really mix from one bucket to another, each bucket will draw solution from the reservior, but every plant is not the same each will consume different amount so you will end up with different reading, as the water level drop in the plant buckets the controller will release more solution to make sure they are top off to the correct level.
Oh...it's not a true recirc set up. The controller only "FEEDS" the buckets. The solution is never recirculated back into the controller bucket with the reservoir. So yes each bucket is it's own little bio experiement then and each needs to be tested and treated seperately. There must be a float valve of some sort in each bucket then that tells the controller when to feed more nutrient to it. Not the best but will work. Makes change outs a bitch I bet.lol Most of us use a main reservoir and recirc the solution in and out of the reservoir. change outs require changing out the solution in the controller/reservoir only and all adjustments are done at the main reservoir only too. With a waterfarm each plant would have to be tested and adjusted individually making it a pain IMO.

Oh...it's not a true recirc set up. The controller only "FEEDS" the buckets. The solution is never recirculated back into the controller bucket with the reservoir. So yes each bucket is it's own little bio experiement then and each needs to be tested and treated seperately. There must be a float valve of some sort in each bucket then that tells the controller when to feed more nutrient to it. Not the best but will work. Makes change outs a bitch I bet.lol Most of us use a main reservoir and recirc the solution in and out of the reservoir. change outs require changing out the solution in the controller/reservoir only and all adjustments are done at the main reservoir only too. With a waterfarm each plant would have to be tested and adjusted individually making it a pain IMO.

what RACEFAN said.

There must be a float valve of some sort in each bucket then that tells the controller when to feed more nutrient to it. Not the best but will work. Makes change outs a bitch I bet.lol Most of us use a main reservoir and recirc the solution in and out of the reservoir. change outs require changing out the solution in the controller/reservoir only and all adjustments are done at the main reservoir only too. With a waterfarm each plant would have to be tested and adjusted individually making it a pain IMO.

Actually the float is in the controller since the water in the controller and all the buckets are all the same level, so if any of the water level drops in any of the buckets water level also drops in the controller and that drops the float and releasing more nutes once it reaches your preset level that you set by bending the float arm which should about a 1/2 to 1 inch drop below the top buckets.

Here's my controller been modified usually has only one float.
DSCF0318.JPG

Yes it is a PIA to check each buckets that why I recommend getting the circulating kit at least.

Back
Top Bottom