One more tank temp question

I'm pretty sure everyone is tired of hearing my temp related issues... but I'm a pretty persistent bugger.

I'm trying to grow in an outdoor shed and I live in a VERY warm climate.
I'm not willing to put the pennies out for a tank chiller, but I totally realize that's the best answer to my issue.

Recently, I've acquired a home water cooler. It has a ~1 gal. stainless steel res that I'm going to use as a grow tank for a DWC bubbler. I tried setting up a heat exchange system using it, but it didn't keep the water cool enough.

My issue here, is that the tank actually cools the water to around 50f (10c). Most of the material I've read suggests a lower limit of 60f (15c).

Does anyone have any real world experience grow in a low temp res? What kind of issues will I face?

Cheers!

You want to keep the nute temp below 70F if possible. I've notice a big difference in my DWC tubs if the temp goes below 60. Plant growth slows down a lot. Mine stay at a fairly steady 64-68 all year as I have a concrete cold room in the basement that I have to heat all year round if the lights are out. The rest of the basement never goes above 65 but can get down to freezing when it's -40. Have more air bubbling in the nutes at higher temps as warmer water doesn't hold O2 very well.

If CO2 is used make sure that the air pump has a fresh air source as extra CO2 bubbling in the nutes will form carbolic acid that will constantly be pushing your pH down.

Back
Top Bottom