How to oxygenate and aerate plant roots

ledtester

The importance of aeration of plants roots, a description of how to aerate your plants roots using soil, and the positive effects aeration of plants roots can have on your gardens plants.

Most everyone knows the importance of carbon dioxide to a plant's health, but very few realize the significance of oxygen to a plant's nutrient uptake and overall health. Now, of course, the foliage of a plant recieves oxygen, however, the real need for oxygen is below the soil line. The oxygen helps the roots absorb nutrients at a faster rate, and can increase a plant's growth rate by up to 30%.

SOIL AERATION

The key to insuring complete aeration of your household or garden plant's roots lies in the soil itself. Perfect soil should be very porous, more than just "good dirt". It should contain large, water holding objects such as bark, porous rocks, small twigs, or a commercial soil additive such as perlite or vermiculite. These help the soil retain water, which is rich in oxygen (I will explain, later, a simple method to super enrich your water with oxygen). Other ingredients that hold vast amounts of water are manure, peat moss, dried grass clippings, and leaves. These ingredients can be combined with sand to make an all around, partially self-fertilizing soil, or not, for a fertilizer friendly soil-less mix. They can be mixed and combined in a myriad of different ways to meet your ph and nutrient needs, as well as aerate and add a sufficient supply of oxygen. An example of a nicely aerated soil would be mixed as follows:

1/3 tree bark

1/3 vermiculite

1/3 sand

SUPER-ENRICH YOUR WATER WITH OXYGEN

Super-enriching your water with oxygen is a very simple process. All it requires is adding one(1) pint hydrogen peroxide to one(1) gallon water, shake well(vigorously for about five(5) seconds), and allow it to sit over night. The reason this enriches the water with oxygen is simple. Water is two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, H2O. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2, or water with an extra atom of oxygen. When H2O2 is added to H2O, the extra atom in the hydrogen peroxide attaches itself to bacteria and impurities in the water, thereby disinfecting it. After most impurities have been eliminated, you are left with a water-hydrogen peroxide mix. When added to your plants the extra oxygen in the hydrogen peroxide attaches to the roots, helps increase nutrient uptake, and increases plant growth by 30%.

TIPS TO HELP

The following are a few simple tips to remember that will help increase the amount of oxygen in your soil:

1. Aerate the soil with bulky and water holding material such as peat moss, bark, vermiculite, rocks, and perlite.

2. Always wait until your plants absolutely need water, then thoroughly saturate with water. This will allow water to drain completely through, and pulls oxygen down through the top of the soil.

3. Super-enrich your water with oxygen by adding one(1) pint hydrogen peroxide to one(1) gallon water, shake vigorously for five(5) seconds, and allow to sit over night.

4. Apply the usage of aeration, and as long as you keep the plants other needs met you can increase growth by up to 20%-30%.

Nice post. I've been wondering about oxygenating my roots. One question though. What is the concentration of hydrogen peroxide? Normal Walmart stuff is 3%. Or do you use a higher concentration?

Thanks.
A rookie grower.
My G-13 clones have gone from 4" to 14" in 14 days. First attempt!

I have to put this out there since its on the soil section. It will rid your res of bacteria, but also your soil.

In Soil, specifically organics, Aren't we going for the most abundent life? Effective Micro-organisms will be obliverated by hydro peroxide?

If so then you would only want to apply it before soil change or if you have mold or bad fungi?

I have to put this out there since its on the soil section. It will rid your res of bacteria, but also your soil.

In Soil, specifically organics, Aren't we going for the most abundent life? Effective Micro-organisms will be obliverated by hydro peroxide?

If so then you would only want to apply it before soil change or if you have mold or bad fungi?

EXACTLY !!!!!

If you are doing organics with a living soil, H2O2 is about the worst thing you can add to it.

DD

A healthy growing garden has no use of H202 imo, it's the devil.

I agree 100%! Never used it, never needed it, and will never consider using it.
I try to get my garden enviroment as natural as possible. I have never heard of any kind of plant or tree using, needing, or having a natural source of H2O2 in the wild so it has no place in my garden.

Rocks? They will make a container too heavy and take up valuable space in the container
Perlite repels water, not retain it and it great for adding drainage which promotes aeration
Twigs, bark, peat, etc should be decomposed prior to being used in the soil mix to add natural fertilizer

Aeration is done simply by letting the plant get on the dry side and rewatering it. As the water passes thru the root zone it will push oxygen over the roots zone. The pores in the perlite will hold pockets of oxygen while the root zone is saturated. As the soil drys, it will become oxygenated from the lightweight mix it's composed of and the perlite. Tilling around the top soil in the container so it's nice and loose will also promote aeration of the root zone while the plant is drying out from the previous watering.

if you want to aerate your roots just use a pencil and stick it into the soil the entire length of it about 10 times at different lengths from trunk. (sharpen pencil first or you will have a fun time stabbing with a dull object)

I agree 100%! Never used it, never needed it, and will never consider using it.
I try to get my garden enviroment as natural as possible. I have never heard of any kind of plant or tree using, needing, or having a natural source of H2O2 in the wild so it has no place in my garden.

Rocks? They will make a container too heavy and take up valuable space in the container
Perlite repels water, not retain it and it great for adding drainage which promotes aeration
Twigs, bark, peat, etc should be decomposed prior to being used in the soil mix to add natural fertilizer

Aeration is done simply by letting the plant get on the dry side and rewatering it. As the water passes thru the root zone it will push oxygen over the roots zone. The pores in the perlite will hold pockets of oxygen while the root zone is saturated. As the soil drys, it will become oxygenated from the lightweight mix it's composed of and the perlite. Tilling around the top soil in the container so it's nice and loose will also promote aeration of the root zone while the plant is drying out from the previous watering.

Well said :bravo:

Follow that advice and your plants will grow fast and healthy.

+rep for that, orangeblood

if you want to aerate your roots just use a pencil and stick it into the soil the entire length of it about 10 times at different lengths from trunk. (sharpen pencil first or you will have a fun time stabbing with a dull object)

ouch...easy on the roots bro

I try to get my garden enviroment as natural as possible..

I've heard this statement many times before, and I think in most cases (outdoor excluded) it is bullshit. Do you maniulate lighting, nutrients, soil, pest control, etc to achieve the healthiest and happiest plants you can? It's not natural for your plants to grow in a room, under artificial light with someone tending to their every need. We may try to replicate what happens naturally, but our involvement is not natural. Therefore, statements like this, are founded in dishonesty.

Not a personal attack on you, Orangeblood. I've just heard this said many times before and decided to express my feelings on the matter...:smokin:

By saying as natural as possible I'm indeed refering to trying to duplicate what our plants need to grow in it's natural enviroment with lights, designer nutes, co2 etc. When I reread my post I think it probably was not the best word choice.
What I'm meaning is by using artificial means we can duplicate nearly every aspect of nature inside of a room and in some cases enhance cannabis' natural growth charactoristics by targeting certains things it really likes to maximize the potential of the plant whether it be chemical or organic.
My grow room like many others is trying nothing more than to achieve conditions of 78 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. A rich well draining soil not too wet and not too dry and fresh clean air. As I try to duplicate nature to those conditions I dont see where the need for extreme chemicals like h2o2, algecides or other harsh chemicals are needed. Those thing are not in the wild so I avoid them.
Now I realize that I do have some hypocrisy for this because my garden is far from being organic and natural. I use products like Clonex to bypass the natural life cycle of cannabis and Liquid Light + Penetrator to enhance the natural qualities of my herb. Not to metion LEDs. We're all screwed if the Sun starts shining pinkish /purple! I guess I feel ok about using those products because that's what they were intended to be used for.
Food grade h202 has vast array of uses mostly being a cleaning agent. When applied to plants it's mostly used to kill bacterias and fungi in the water and soil. If you are trying to enhance the microbial activity in the soil then h202 can have a negative effect. Those microbes are one of the things that we want to flourish in our duplication of nature. I guess that's the context in what I was meaning by trying to keep a garden as natural as possible :peace: ;)

By saying as natural as possible I'm indeed refering to trying to duplicate what our plants need to grow in it's natural enviroment with lights, designer nutes, co2 etc. When I reread my post I think it probably was not the best word choice.
What I'm meaning is by using artificial means we can duplicate nearly every aspect of nature inside of a room and in some cases enhance cannabis' natural growth charactoristics by targeting certains things it really likes to maximize the potential of the plant whether it be chemical or organic.
My grow room like many others is trying nothing more than to achieve conditions of 78 degrees and sunny with a light breeze. A rich well draining soil not too wet and not too dry and fresh clean air. As I try to duplicate nature to those conditions I dont see where the need for extreme chemicals like h2o2, algecides or other harsh chemicals are needed. Those thing are not in the wild so I avoid them.
Now I realize that I do have some hypocrisy for this because my garden is far from being organic and natural. I use products like Clonex to bypass the natural life cycle of cannabis and Liquid Light + Penetrator to enhance the natural qualities of my herb. Not to metion LEDs. We're all screwed if the Sun starts shining pinkish /purple! I guess I feel ok about using those products because that's what they were intended to be used for.
Food grade h202 has vast array of uses mostly being a cleaning agent. When applied to plants it's mostly used to kill bacterias and fungi in the water and soil. If you are trying to enhance the microbial activity in the soil then h202 can have a negative effect. Those microbes are one of the things that we want to flourish in our duplication of nature. I guess that's the context in what I was meaning by trying to keep a garden as natural as possible :peace: ;)

Your peaceful demeanor in response to my post is appreciated and respected. I really wasn't defending or promoting the use of H2O2. As I mentioned, I was taking exception to the concept "if it isn't in nature, it isn't in my garden". I know those weren't your specific words. Others have made similar statements and I started to realize how untrue that really is. Kudos to you for your honesty! :smokin:

Your peaceful demeanor in response to my post is appreciated and respected. I really wasn't defending or promoting the use of H2O2. As I mentioned, I was taking exception to the concept "if it isn't in nature, it isn't in my garden". I know those weren't your specific words. Others have made similar statements and I started to realize how untrue that really is. Kudos to you for your honesty! :smokin:

I understand precisely where you're coming from. There is really no way somebody can have an indoor garden and claim to be natural or organic. Even if they're using pure organic nutes which come in plastic bottles and organic soil that comes in plastic bags. As soon as the HID is hung using electricity from coal, hydroelectric, nuclear power plants and the rootball is put into a plastic container made from petroleum byproducts the whole natural thing is out with warm air exaust.
I too have grown tired of claims by the hippycrits as I like to call them. I guess when I grow I try to be conscious of the enviroment and choose a healthy option but I also know that when it comes to something like cloning for example, I can take a slow and mild approach and hopefully get some nice clones in two weeks or I can jack it up with hormones and chemicals and get those clones out to veg in six days. Guess what my choice will always be? :grinjoint:

I think for somebody having a potential root rot problem this might be very helpful. :thumb:

I think for somebody having a potential root rot problem this might be very helpful. :thumb:

At the very beggining of a problem with root rot yes H2O2 can be beneficial but it is actually better to give your plants lots of B vitamins and silicate to boost its immune system as well as strengthen its cell walls. But if root rot starts then a shot of H2o2 and then followed up by a shot of root shield is most effective to seal the damaged roots and begin the process of rebuilding the structure and the b vitamins to ease the stress.

As far as aerateing the roots goes however your soil can only hold a certain percentage of oxygen and ironically if you have created the perfect texture soil for cannabis it will already be there without us having to supplement it. If you find you need to aerate your soil it is generally a sign you havent yet managed to create the perfect texture soil for your plants.

As far as aerateing the roots goes however your soil can only hold a certain percentage of oxygen and ironically if you have created the perfect texture soil for cannabis it will already be there without us having to supplement it. If you find you need to aerate your soil it is generally a sign you havent yet managed to create the perfect texture soil for your plants.

Well said. Compaction of soil is the enemy. + rep for that one :bravo:

There is always these too: Air-Pot Garden

I had never seen those air pots before but now that I have I want 15-20 3gal ones cause if I get those It will probably increase my yield by 20% min just because of how they prune the roots to make more feeder roots grow.

I just had to add after looking at those air pots I think it would work to just put some extra holes in nursery pots with a large dish at the bottom would probably achieve the same effect.

It is interesting how they work. I have not seen any used personally. I think my local hydro shop has something similar, it comes flat then you roll it to desired diameter...I need to check next time I go there. I have seen some other hydro shops in the area advertising 'air pots' on craigslist too. One thing I know, it can't hurt the plant that's for sure. Nothing wrong with a 20% yield increase either, and that is probably a spot on estimate too.

Back
Top Bottom