The gas lantern routine

Sana

Hello guys,

I read in the magazine treating yourself that it's better to have a 12-1 light pattern or better known as the gas lantern routine.
The theory is that it's better for the plant to grow veg at 12 hours light 5.5 hours dark and 1 hour light and then again 5.5hours dark. The extra hour in the night fools the plants they are still in growth stage. And as a result you save energy and your material. It also claims that you have bigger and better yield of it because u stress the plants less light time.

The question is, is it true? And does anyone has experience with it?

I'm using the technique now myself but i'm not seeing any super results they claimed to have with it.
It is true tho that the plants won't go into flower stage like this.

ty

Well, first off, you see the results yourself. It's senseless.

Do a 24/0, 20/4, or 18/6 cycle for veg, whatever cycle you prefer and a 12/12 for flower and quit stressing your plants with this on, off, on BS.

DD

I think so and do a 18/6 cycle, others swear by 24/0.

20/4 is a good compromise.

They all work, pick the one that suits you.

DD

I pretty much agree with everyone else but...............

If you can do just as well using 13 hours of light vs 18 or 20 then it does have an advantage there. And if heat is an issue it could help there also.

However, some might caution you about herm's, you may be more prone to having herm's?

I changed it to 18/6 and i definitely see a difference between the 12-1 schedule and 18/6, the plants grow faster and look healthier. Not sure if the healthier thing has anything to do with the lamp as i just changed nutrients.
In the article they stated that the 12-1 schedule causes less stress to the plant then 18/6 or 24/0. Nowhere in the world a plant gets 18 hours of sun a day.

They also had a thing about the flowering cycle.
You need to act as the sun and start at 12/12 and lower the hours of light every 2 weeks by 1 hour. Have my doubts about this tho.

Why would the plants be prone to go herm?

I changed it to 18/6 and i definitely see a difference between the 12-1 schedule and 18/6, the plants grow faster and look healthier. Not sure if the healthier thing has anything to do with the lamp as i just changed nutrients.
In the article they stated that the 12-1 schedule causes less stress to the plant then 18/6 or 24/0. Nowhere in the world a plant gets 18 hours of sun a day.

They also had a thing about the flowering cycle.
You need to act as the sun and start at 12/12 and lower the hours of light every 2 weeks by 1 hour. Have my doubts about this tho.

Why would the plants be prone to go herm?

Stress. Some say that even the camera flash will cause issues. Odd lighting. Nute deficiencies. All kinds of stuff can contribute. :peacetwo:

ANY light during the dark of 12/12 can have serious bad effects.

DD

24/0 during vegging. 30 hours of darkness with a flush before switching to 12/12. It is just flat out the best way to grow.

"No where in the world a plant will get 18 hours of light". True?...any Alaskan growers out there? We are way beyond what any natural cannabis plant experiences in its life cycle when growing indoors. 24 hours of light produces more growth, it has been proven.

All my humble opinion of course :rollit:

Ah yes its true i forgot about those country's who have even 24/0 light sometimes.

I'll switch it to 24 then.

Both Ed Rosenthal and Jorge Caravantes say that 24/0 is the best way to go. Ed says there isn't any reason in the world not to go 24/0 unless it's just a senseless personal preference.

Seems like a militant approach but if it makes the grow faster...I'm down for that..

;)

True that^^

What I think is wrong tho, is that sometimes it isn't senseless personal choice of reducing the light as it can have many benefits..

Anyone knows if the ed rosenthal marijuana growbook is good and worth buying?

Many benefits?? Could you illuminate us as to those benefits please? :popcorn:

Saving electricity could be one but..it doesn't seem like much of a benefit of only 4 hours or 6 hours depending. Course if you're using many 1000w HID systems...yeah that could add up.

I have seen the merit of going 24/0, 20/4, 18/6 then to 12/12 just from a "recreating nature" standpoint...don't know if it has any benefit really.

I haven't read Ed's new book (s) yet but Jorge's is very informative. So much of this is personal preference though and there isn't only one way to skin this cat I'm finding being relatively new to the indoor grow scene..

Both Ed Rosenthal and Jorge Caravantes say that 24/0 is the best way to go. Ed says there isn't any reason in the world not to go 24/0 unless it's just a senseless personal preference.

Seems like a militant approach but if it makes the grow faster...I'm down for that..

;)

Ooooppss! Make that Jorge Cervantes..I have a client named Caravantes...unfortunately, he's not a grower! Just a prick but that's another story for another time!

haha lol,
i'll defenetly check jorge out

About the benefits:
- Heating issues
- Electricity costs
- saving your material (I just can't see it being good for your lamp to be on all the time for very long)
- and the dark reaction of plants*

thats all i can think of right now :tokin:

*In the dark CO2 is reduced to glucose, so without darkness the fotosynthese reaction won't be complete, right? But if you say that 24/0 proves better results then 18/6 or 20/4, isn't 23/1 the best ? As it has atleast some dark time.

haha lol,
i'll defenetly check jorge out

About the benefits:
- Heating issues
- Electricity costs
- saving your material (I just can't see it being good for your lamp to be on all the time for very long)
- and the dark reaction of plants*

thats all i can think of right now :tokin:

*In the dark CO2 is reduced to glucose, so without darkness the fotosynthese reaction won't be complete, right? But if you say that 24/0 proves better results then 18/6 or 20/4, isn't 23/1 the best ? As it has atleast some dark time.

The benefits you listed are valid but growing is a 'give and take' type of a thing. In my own small little grow world I have found it best, for me, to veg under cfl's and clone under floro's. This saves me money on the electrical bill.

I do 24/0 veg because it has been proven to work the best. The other schedules will work as well, it's all up to the grower. :yummy:

Here is something to think about.....they grow faster in the VEGETATIVE stage of growth. the flowering stage will help process the sugars and buds cause the flowering stage has 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness. in other words the plant grows quickly and robustly on a 24/0 light cycle for the first stage of its life, then when switched to 12/12 has ample supply to convert to supple nugs, resinous and sticky.
ya dig?

Back
Top Bottom