Using Fox Farm's Ocean Forest Soil

ilikebike

hey guys so i have 4 PPP clones ready to be transplanted from my aero-cloner to new homes in soil. I just went to the store and picked up a 12qt bag of fox farm ocean forest soil. Now i have always used store bought (home depot) potting soil that have time released nutrients in them. now that i got home and did some research i see that this soil doesnt have any nutrients in it.
so my question is can i mix this soil with a bag of store bought potting soil or will that throw the pH of the soil off? Feeding a plant on a regular feeding schedule is brand new to me and is quite confusing, im not sure what type of nutrients i need, how much, or when i should feed them so i like the convenience of time released nutrients, so again can i mix FOX FARM OCEAN FOREST soil with a bag of Loews potting soil?:thanks:

Ocean forest is loaded with nutes, just not time released...... you can do what ever you like, if it does mess with the PH then you just adjust.... You will do just fine.....

FFOF has a lot of organically derived nutrients readily available for plants to use, they just don't add chemicals produced in a manufacturing plant to their soil. I don't know of a way to determine beforehand how "hot" your soil would be if you mixed the two, so if your not trying to grow organically I'd stick to what you know already works.

EDIT: Ooops, Irie beat me to the submit button, lol

cool good to know, i am probly going to mix the FFOF with the HAPPY FROG and add nutes as i go thanks

In my opinion...use the Happy Frog for the initial transplant. The clones will love it. Happy Frog isn't as 'hot' as Ocean Forest, and is great for root development. After a few weeks go ahead and transplant to the Ocean Forest. The root developed plants will love the Ocean Forest. Start with small containers so you can transplant a few different times during the grow. Each transplant will boost you plants some and you won't have to add a lot of nutes during veg.

There a very simple one part nutes you can add as well, rather than mixing some crazy concoction of nutrients. General Hydroponics' FloraNova Grow and Bloom are great one part nutes. I've heard good things about Botanicares one part nute as well.

Good luck to you! :thumb:

I second the floranova if you are just starting out. Also I recommend you empty the bag of FFOF into a plastic bin then add 5 or 6 tablespoons dolomite lime and mix it in. This will help keep your PH in line and also help with Calcium and Mag. Use the pelitised dolimite not hydrated lime (sweet) white powder. Also Ocean forrest has plenty of food for your plants for 3 weeks to a month. I would just water with phed water to 6.3 - 6.8. Also let the water sit for 24 hours at room temp...even better aerate with a airstone.....this will blow off the chlorine from your tap water.

Floranova is strong stuff. Small plants dont need anything. Wait till you transplant them from 1 gallon pots to 5 gallon pots....then wait 3 weeks before feeding them. Then..check your tap water for PPM...if its 150 PPM from the tap then when you add floranova subtract this from your number. My tap water is 150 ppm which is good because it has plenty of calcium and I dont need to add any calmag. When I start feeding my plants floranova I start at 400 PPM then next 2 times just water. Then if they look great adjust it to 600ppm or 800ppm.

This should help get you rollin. I know I ramble on and you did not ask these questions but its good stuff to know if its your first grow.

Here is the most important thing of al ...DONT OVER WATER...again..NEVER EVER OVER WATER... let your plants completly dry the fuk out before watering again. Im talkin soil cracked and pulling away from the rim of the pot almost. Really light feeling...not heavy when lifted pot. I meen dont let the plant droop and die but you want those roots to be searching for water...growing in search of water...hopefully filling the pot with roots. A good root system is paramout to big harvests and you want lots of leaves and bushy plants. Whats above the soil is a good indication of your root system......so dont overwater...grow big thick healthy roots so when you flower they can take in all the food when the plants metabolism speeds up durring the first 5 weeks.

OK...sorry to ramble on....Im pretty high this morning and like to help a new grower get started...hehe

Good luck

Cona

Oh yea....if ya want to skip the floranova grow and just use the bloom that is fine...it has plenty of N. PM me about how and when to use their Kool Bloom when you are in week 2 - 3 of flower and I will help ya not cook your plants.

Hello everyone. I am a new grower and have two clones in ocean forest soil. They have developed yellow leave tips that dry up turn brown and crack away. The only nut I've used on them is techna flora bc grow. Could this problem be from over fertilization? Thanks for the help. One more thing my clones have been in the soil for about 2 weeks. One clone is in a rockwool cube and the other came from a aero clone machine. If that matters.

Ocean forest is loaded with nutes, just not time released...... you can do what ever you like, if it does mess with the PH then you just adjust.... You will do just fine.....

wait so i can put some Fox Farms ocean forest in an 8inch pot, and just ave to add water only?

im new to this. i have 2 plants, growing in miracle gro potting mix. that i had bought, then i was told to grow organically, better yield and better smoke, quite frankly im not a dealer, as a matter in fact the reason why im growing is to give my dealer the finger for charging me for this natural aphrodisiac that i have the given right to want/have, and smoke.

if you or anyone else can point me in the right direction i would be eternally grateful. what i have so far are like 7 separate 60 watt CFL bulbs (800 lumens per each one) and a a double rail T-12 light and thats 40 watts each long bulb (i can only imagine that those lights give about 4-600 lumens each, if im not wrong in my math that is lol) its only 2 plants. i have more seeds, i just dont want to use them until i have established an appropriate system in which the soil is good enough to just add water. any ideas, or clues. i have the FF Ocean Forest, along with blood & bone meal, perlite, i have vermiculite. i have pics if needed

Have had good luck with fox farm oceans soil by itself. Transplanted small plant in 3 gal pot. And watered. Originally had in organic miracle grow, grew about 4 inches tall in about a month. Got so pissed actually pulled it with my fingers and put it in my pot of fox farms soil. After 2 weeks this thing is a foot and half tall (no bs). It's under a 180 led light, better than my 4-cfl 150,s. I also use distiller water. Plant. Looks like a picture. This is what has worked for me. Looking back on my miracle grow, I'm sure that my ph was way off.

wait so i can put some Fox Farms ocean forest in an 8inch pot, and just ave to add water only?

im new to this. i have 2 plants, growing in miracle gro potting mix. that i had bought, then i was told to grow organically, better yield and better smoke, quite frankly im not a dealer, as a matter in fact the reason why im growing is to give my dealer the finger for charging me for this natural aphrodisiac that i have the given right to want/have, and smoke.

if you or anyone else can point me in the right direction i would be eternally grateful. what i have so far are like 7 separate 60 watt CFL bulbs (800 lumens per each one) and a a double rail T-12 light and thats 40 watts each long bulb (i can only imagine that those lights give about 4-600 lumens each, if im not wrong in my math that is lol) its only 2 plants. i have more seeds, i just dont want to use them until i have established an appropriate system in which the soil is good enough to just add water. any ideas, or clues. i have the FF Ocean Forest, along with blood & bone meal, perlite, i have vermiculite. i have pics if needed

im no pro, been told miracle gro potting mix will burn your plants and never use it.

I second the floranova if you are just starting out. Also I recommend you empty the bag of FFOF into a plastic bin then add 5 or 6 tablespoons dolomite lime and mix it in. This will help keep your PH in line and also help with Calcium and Mag. Use the pelitised dolimite not hydrated lime (sweet) white powder. Also Ocean forrest has plenty of food for your plants for 3 weeks to a month. I would just water with phed water to 6.3 - 6.8. Also let the water sit for 24 hours at room temp...even better aerate with a airstone.....this will blow off the chlorine from your tap water.

Floranova is strong stuff. Small plants dont need anything. Wait till you transplant them from 1 gallon pots to 5 gallon pots....then wait 3 weeks before feeding them. Then..check your tap water for PPM...if its 150 PPM from the tap then when you add floranova subtract this from your number. My tap water is 150 ppm which is good because it has plenty of calcium and I dont need to add any calmag. When I start feeding my plants floranova I start at 400 PPM then next 2 times just water. Then if they look great adjust it to 600ppm or 800ppm.

This should help get you rollin. I know I ramble on and you did not ask these questions but its good stuff to know if its your first grow.

Here is the most important thing of al ...DONT OVER WATER...again..NEVER EVER OVER WATER... let your plants completly dry the fuk out before watering again. Im talkin soil cracked and pulling away from the rim of the pot almost. Really light feeling...not heavy when lifted pot. I meen dont let the plant droop and die but you want those roots to be searching for water...growing in search of water...hopefully filling the pot with roots. A good root system is paramout to big harvests and you want lots of leaves and bushy plants. Whats above the soil is a good indication of your root system......so dont overwater...grow big thick healthy roots so when you flower they can take in all the food when the plants metabolism speeds up durring the first 5 weeks.

OK...sorry to ramble on....Im pretty high this morning and like to help a new grower get started...hehe

Good luck

Cona
Would you suggest using ph down while growing in fox farm ocean mixed with nature’s super soil with no bottled nutrients? Some ppl are telling me not to ph and others say to adjust ph? Thanks in advance

Would you suggest using ph down while growing in fox farm ocean mixed with nature’s super soil with no bottled nutrients? Some ppl are telling me not to ph and others say to adjust ph? Thanks in advance
Why don't you just contact Nature's customer service department and ask them? I'm leaning towards no ph adjustment but, I have no personal experience using SS (plenty of FFOF usage using their Rasta Gringo nutes w/o ph adjustment) and if I were you I would not take advice from someone with no experience using the combination.

Why don't you just contact Nature's customer service department and ask them? I'm leaning towards no ph adjustment but, I have no personal experience using SS (plenty of FFOF usage using their Rasta Gringo nutes w/o ph adjustment) and if I were you I would not take advice from someone with no experience using the combination.
I agree thanks for your opinion. The super soil is mixed into the bottom 1/3 of the soil. Once my ph meter gets here I’ll just test the runoff, also going to invest in a quality soil meter.

I agree thanks for your opinion. The super soil is mixed into the bottom 1/3 of the soil. Once my ph meter gets here I’ll just test the runoff, also going to invest in a quality soil meter.
I was just going to edit that (ph-ing the run-off) into my post. I leaning towards the soil buffering the nutes but could be wrong. The ultimate test is the appearance of the plants of course. I know FF customer service department responds in hours, not days and I'm sure SS's CCD does as well. A simple "Does SS change the ph of my soil (Fox Farm Ocean Forest) to the point where adjustment is needed?" would be a good starting point.

Go to Amazon's comments on this stuff. Someone is growing in FFOF and is loving the stuff. Another comment doesn't mention the soil brand but says they are maintaining a ph of 6.2-6.5 using rainwater.
It appears you are going to be OK.

Back
Top Bottom