Need a good UK soil source

Blacechan

Hey 420,
i have been looking all over this site and have found some fantastic info and i want to thank everyone on this site its truly amazing.
Im on my way to starting my grow, but i'm having trouble with the soil.
This is my first grow so i am a newbie, but my main problem is i dont really know any of the brands of soil and nutes that people are talking about because i'm in the UK and you cant get most of them over here.
if anyone from the UK is here and knows what is good and can explain what exactly i need that would help me great deal.

Thanks

Blace

cheers,
well seeing as this is my first time grow im not 100% on what i need, i know i need soil which contains nutrients but there are loads of people talking about all these different kind of mixes and soils i'm just not sure if i can go to a shop like Homebase and just buy some stuff there that has all i need inside,
or do i have to make my own mix?
i have everything else ready to go but i cant get my head around the grow medium.
Thanks

:welcome:
Hey dude, if you have any trouble procuring the big-name soils that Dean recommended, I've always done well with standard multi-purpose garden compost from the local garden centre, usually about a fiver for 60ltr bags (3 for £10 if you're lucky). I avoid anything that says 'added feed/fertiliser' as compost has enough nutrients for a good month or so anyway.
To help with water drainage you can stick an inch or two of small stones in the bottom of your pots (again from the garden centre, they might be 'dusty' so give them a good hosing down first!), and if you find a bag of Perlite you can mix that directly into the soil. If not then mixing a small handful of your stones into the soil will help a little, but use them sparingly as they'll take up root space.
Hope this helps!

P.S. I like to throw a small earthworm in each pot, they help aerate the soil and keep it healthy, plus they sometimes act as an emergency alarm. If you over-water a pot there's a good chance that worm is going to come scurrying to the surface to breathe, or get flushed out the bottom!

ok cool that sounds good.
Thanks for the help guys a really appreciate it.
Ill go a see what i can find if i have any more problems i will be back.

Also Dean what do you mean by local Hydro store?
sorry for the lack of knowledge im still a newbie at this stuff, im trying to learn as quick as possible.

Thanks

If you live in the uk you'll find loads of Hydro shops in almost all the major cities just type hydro shops in whatever area your near into google or the yellow pages and you'll get a list of whats close to you. There you'll find all the equipment you'll need to setup your grow.

ok good good thanks very much, i'm just about to head out now and have a look.
thanks for all the help i really really needed it, and i love this website, the amount of help and understanding is great here,
Thanks to all of you :)

Blace :)

hey guys sorry to bother you again but i went down to my local garden centre and they had soil and nutrients the soil was fine it contains the right amount of nutrients for what i need.
The only other nutrients (pant food) they had was there own brand stuff,
which i'm not too sure i want, but they also had miracle grow, but i have heard mixed reviews on MG (mostly negative) so i thought i would double check with you.
the soil says it contains enough nutrients to last 3 moths, i dont know if thats depending on what kind of plant im growing or not.
any ideas?

i got westland multi purpose compost as recommended by Dangerzone, (love the username and pick by the way, favourite show ever)
it has no added nutrients as far as i know, its just compost.

what i was thinking, due to mirical grow soil already containing 4 moths worth of nutes could i not just use that and not give the plants any other nutes until the time release of the soil is over or unless the plants show a lack of nutes?
Also the MG ferts had a good nitrogen % so would that not be good for veg stage?
I know its a bit late, but i just want to know, gain knowledge and such :)

Biobizz - all mix can found at most hydroponic shops in the UK.

Westlands multi purpose is pretty alright another good brand name is john Innes line of composts & used all 3 at some point or the other.

Mainly use biobizz all mix for vegging/flowering and have used westlands/john innes seedling compost for rooted cuttings/clones.

ok cool yeah a saw some john innes stuff but they didnt have all purpose compost by john innes.
and i dont was to buy any soil with time release nutes, because then i have more control in how much nutes the plant needs, so it wont burn or die of starvation.
but yeah cheers for the response.

Hi guys, Just purchased my self BioBizz Light-Mix Soil - 20 Litres
for anyone who uses BioBizz will I need nutrients aswell? or will this stuff be ok for a beginner?

I know this is a bit of an old forum but why would you use compost that isn't designed for cannabis, there are loads out there, Plagron bat mix is great, Plant magic is great as is all-mix. as for fertilizers if you don't have hydro stores near you look online, Ebay has everything you could possibly want or need. best results I've had is using Plant magic soil with some added bat poo (that I add myself, then let it sit in a bin for a few days after giving it a moisten, this helps get micro's going). when I pot up I use plant magic granules that help the root system form quickly. first water is just plain ph adjusted water nothing else. For grow I use Plant magic old timer grow, Potsil silicon, cannazyme, and ph down to adjust. when it flips to 12/12 its the same apart from I swap the plant magic grow to bloom old timer, still adding all the silicon etc. 3 weeks before harvest I stop using everything and let it finish by its self. never any problems with over or under feeding just loveliness! hope that helps if you haven't already sorted yourself out

I use canna terra pro plus and their series of neuts. Works good once you understand the PH is not normal soil. It's between 5.8-6.2. This is my second grow. I had problems with fungus gnats and thrips this time. I've read journals where people swear up and down that it was in the soil when they bought it. I don't know, but it was annoying. I suspect I may have let them in. In any case like most things once you understand what it is and what to do it's not a big deal. I will know to check it out before I plop my seedling in next time.

In the US of A there is something called kind soil that I am very interested in. Basically, you fill the bottom of your pot and then layer Coco on top. You need very little if any nutrients. Just water PHd at 6.5.

Water Only Entire Grow Organic Soil 800W LED

Anybody know of a UK equivalent?

Back
Top Bottom