Newbie - First Grow Looking For Advice

miked76

Hi All! This is my first grow and I am really enjoying the process! It's a very therapeutic labor of love.

I decided to grow one plant just to learn as much as possible before getting more ambitious with multiple plants.

I would like some feedback based on my attached pics. Does it look good for where it's at? How much longer before switching to flowering? Should I try topping for better growth?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if additional information is needed.

Thanks!
420-magazine-mobile562414429.jpg
420-magazine-mobile279502638.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1178886290.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1923488207.jpg
420-magazine-mobile901698191.jpg

Strain: Harlequin (feminized)

Room: 8' x 8' well-sealed with 4' x 4' x 4' insulated grow box (no top).

Medium: 70% organic soil 30% perlite

Nutrients: Fox Farms Trio

PH: 6.5 - 7 (currently 6.5)

Light: 300W LED 16" from top of plant

Avg Room Temp 75 deg F

Room Humidity: 35% - 54% ( currently 54%)

Training: LST only so far (90 deg bend on main trunk and spread some secondary branches out)

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Also, my light cycle has been 20/4 since a week after germination.

It is looking good. If it is from seed, it has to be mature. That will take 6 to maybe 8 weeks before you can flip it. Since it is your first grow, i wouldnt top it or try anything fancy yet. Something i noticed in the pics, you see how a couple of the leaves are not growing strait, kind of twisted? That is a sign of a ph issue. Is that ph reading at water in or run off? With soild you want that number to be 6.5 to 7 at run off and make sure you are getting 25% run off. If you water a gallon, you want a quart of runoff.

Thanks for the reply thebudking! I was wondering what was causing that. My ph levels are at the water. I have yet to see any runoff which concerns me.

I have been watering half a gallon twice a week. That must not be enough. It just seems so damp. I hope I have enough drainage with the soil/perlite mix.

I finally went and spent the money to get a digital ph pen. When you say 6-8 weeks to turn is that from today or from seed?

Thanks again.

Hello and welcome the :420:

Plant looks good for its age.....people usually flip from 6-8 weeks from seed as that is usually when the plant matures and show its sex.....with fem seeds you dont have to wait till then but I wouldn't switch until at least 6 weeks from seed. They need some time to build strong branches to hold all that bud weight. Flipping usually depends on how big your grow room is and how big you want the plant. Example....if you want a plant that is 3 feet tall at harvest you will want to switch when the plant is around 1 foot tall as they tend to double or triple in size during flowering. Want a 18 inch plant at harvest flip when they are around 6-8 inches. There are some on here vegging plants for 6-8 months....it all depends on you.

As far as topping and lst.....do some research...if you keep it simple and don't go overboard it will only increase output..

I have my first journal in the link below if you would like to take a peek...I'm 45 days in...could be some useful stuff in there. :thumb:

A shot of my cab

20170105_230009.jpg

+1 on ph issue.....water less often but with more water so that you get a decent amount of runoff to check the ph coming out.

:bong: :peace:

Thanks so much for the feedback bckush! This community is so great! I will checkout your journal.

Ok, I just did a slurry test as recommended by another member. I used 1/4 cup of compacted soil and 1/4 cup of 7ph water. Let it sit for 20 min then tested. It came out to 6.51.

Does that seem like a reliable method? I will check runoff on Sunday when it's time to feed again.

Also on yhe ph method you mentioned. That would work ok as a baseline for fresh soil but you want the run off because that is flushing out the roots where the ph matters and needs to be correct. Also, if you can add a product like Recharge from realgrowers or Mycos, the microbs will make yout life alot easier.

Here is the feeding schedule that I've been going by. The question that I have is... should I use the sledgehammer as stated on the schedule? I will perform the week 4 feeding tomorrow. That means I would use sledgehammer next week and not feed correct?

Ok, so I fed her one gallon with prescribed nutes. PH at water was 6.6. I had a good 20% run off that measured 6.01, so it's a bit low.

I am going to perform a flush next feeding. I have never done it and the instructions are not very clear. Do I add flush with nutes and feed as normal? What's the best way to get the PH up at run off? Should I up PH at water for a couple of feedings?

Couple of week 5 pics added.

Sorry for all of the questions and thanks in advance for your help.
420-magazine-mobile2147405891.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1917352466.jpg

Thanks budking! Any advice on LED distance? Is closer better if not hot to the back of my hand?

Here's the latest pic. This is week six. Should I wait two more weeks to flip to flower?

It is oozing clear liquid with a very strong odor. Smells like good weed. Normal?
420-magazine-mobile1164695221.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1525686457.jpg

Here's the latest pic. This is week six. Should I wait two more weeks to flip to flower?

It is oozing clear liquid with a very strong odor. Smells like good weed. Normal?
420-magazine-mobile1164695221.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1525686457.jpg

lookin good :thumb:

As for when to flip....all up to you...usually more veg equals bigger harvest. How tall do you want the plant to be when its done?

Back
Top Bottom