Ambrosia Under CFL & Two LED 450's

RedHector

Hi people,
First post and first attempt to grow. I'm growing under 10, 23 watt bulbs in soft white and daylight. The sprout started to surface on March 30th, and I finished my grow box on April second. This they had 2 days of subpar/short daylight. They look like they are reaching to me.
This morning(April 4th) I checked on them and found that one had toppled.
I watered them this morning as the soil was starting to get dry on the surface. No nutrients given yet. I don't have a fan in the box yet.
The strain is Ambrosia by Jordon of the Island.
I would appreciate any guidance you can supply.
Red Hector.
420-magazine-mobile1389358635.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1596191645.jpg

Re: First attempt at a CFL grow from non fem seeds

Hi I recently setup my first grow much like yours but only with 6 of those bulbs. I have noticed stretching in my plants as well, I think they need a stronger light. But Im curious about your fixture, what re those lights attached to? I have 3 individual lamps plugged in with the double socket adapter but I cant find triples. Id like to put more light on the girls without filling a power bar with lamps xD

I have 8 sockets, with 2 two way socket splitters installed. I am going to get 6 more splitters which will allow me to use 16 lights total. I also have some mylar which will be going up tonight. I will post a photo of my setup later today.
I have ordered a Meizhi led for later to run a bloom closet. I plan on keeping 3 plants in the house, and putting the rest out doors in a few locations which I have located.
RedHector

420-magazine-mobile856571654.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1663602308.jpg
here are a few shots of my box. I have all 16 lights and the Mylar up. The boys and girls are looking happy, but seem to be drying much more quickly with the fan running 24hours a day.
I also bought a digital temperature/ humidity monitor, ph test for water and a litre of medi-one 4-3-3 plant food from green planet nutrients.
I'm going to check the ph of the food I mixed up, and probably feed the little ones tomorrow. Stop me if I'm making a big mistake, but they seem to be doing ok, and with the extra light, I'm feeling confident.

420-magazine-mobile1121176078.jpg
420-magazine-mobile659078151.jpg
420-magazine-mobile648624997.jpg
420-magazine-mobile209848187.jpg
More photos of the boys and girls. As you can see I'm having trouble with keeping the humidity up. I fed them last night 1/2 strength nutrients. 2.5ml into 2ltrs water. This is after they were looking very dry and another one had toppled.
The roots are starting to show through the drainage.. tips and guidance is welcome.
RedHector

Make sure not to overwater or overfeed nutes. Two big newbie mistakes I see on the forum. I'm new so this is just from reading journals.
Otherwise, they look great! It's exciting, isn't it? Happy greens!

I just noticed your ph... If you're going to fry them with that much acidity.

I'm new too but as I understand 18 on 6 off is a good schedule. All I know is that schedule has worked for me. Personally I would go ahead & put them on 18 because you have so many... they're sharing the light energy so they may need more. I have a 400w mh/hps and when I added 3 cfls they just took off. I only have 5 plants in my closet. I had needed more 6500k spectrum... But again, yours look great! Don't over worry. You'll do fine!

IMHO...they are far and away too young for nutes...Transplanting should come 1st..WHEN they are ready!

Heyaaa...

Welcome!

I feel like I say this too often but take a look at Savingson's journals... all done under only cfl with amazing results. I recommend them to all new cfl growers.

My favorite youtube grower uses MediOne (John Berfelo) sp?? but my understanding was that it was a ph perfect product... guess not? That is the only line of 'traditional' nutrients I was interested in... just because I like the dude... otherwise I stick organic.

I coax seedlings with cfls and when they are that small they don't need a ton of it... If they are getting too hot to get the bulbs close... i would personally sacrifice wattage to get them closer... that stretch is not great...especially if these are going outside. The closer you get the cfls ... the less they will stretch. But they are not too bad or anything...

Also... maybe its just not in the photos but do you have a bit of wind hitting them? They need a fan on them from the moment they grow legs... maybe I just missed it... or it isn't pictured. Fan = stronger seedlings for sure :)

I also didn't see what kind of soil/mix you are in. That is what is going to dictate how soon you need nutrients. Most high quality soils have enough of the the plants eats/needs to last 2-3-4 weeks... depending on the soil and how often you transplant.

In that small an area just placing an open container of water will raise your humidity. You can spray seedlings as well... but don't get in the habit... I wouldn't continue spraying them past the 2nd or 3rd node of growth. (when they are out of seedling stage)

They look healthy and you have quite a few of them!!! Its a very exciting time when they first pop. They grow by the hour. I could literally sit down with a nice fat joint and watch my seedlings grow any day!

Good luck! My name is Kitty btw. May mother Mary Jane bless your little babies!
xxKitty

Hi Kitty,
Am starting to play around with nutrients and ph. When I add the Medi-One to water the ph is at or below 4. It takes a crazy amount of ph up to bring it up to around 6-6.5 it took 25 drops of ph up to balance 2 ltrs of neutral water mixed with 6mls of the nutrient. I have not added this to the plants, just wanted to mix it up to see how to balance it. Definitely not ph perfect.
I just used potting starter mix from the local nursery. For sure It contains peat and perlite. It makes no mention of any nutrients or any contents for that matter.
I will try moving the lights closer to prevent stretch. I will try the bowl of water to increase the humidity.
I have two fans running, a 4 inch and an 8 inch.
RedHector

Back
Top Bottom