New lights - New strain - Nasty memories

onewarmguy

I'm hoping you young guys can help an older fart like me avoid the disappointment I had with last years girls. Over the winter I was lucky enough to acquire a couple of 1000 W HPS bulbs, mechanical ballast and 4 ft dia. reflector, which will be a big improvement over last years pathetic attempt with some CFL's in a ceiling fixture. I only grow 1 or 2 plants at once in dirt. How big an area can I light with one of these babies? Is a 4X4 grow area too small? Can I adjust the light level by raising and lowering the reflector? I'm planning on a 16 on 8 off cycle so I can avoid the worst of the horrifying rates we pay for power here in Ontario. Anything else I should keep in mind? I'd really like to it right in the year I officially become a senior citizen. Thanks Gents. Onewarmguy

A 1000w covers about a 5x5 area but should be fine for 4x4. Puts out quite a lot of heat so you'll need a decent vent fan.
Raising and lowering the reflector by itself won't change the intensity so much- unless the bulb moves with it (I'm not sure if it's mounted in the reflector or separate).

Back
Top Bottom