Boosting MiracleGro

gato

Budget requires me to use the best soil for cost. Miracle-Gro pro is pretty cheap here and was figuring to use it, but wanted to ask if there are some low cost (and I mean like no or little money) things I can add to Miracle_gro to make it better for pot?

Was going to look at worm castings. Think I saw a small bag for $12. How much worm castings to use? What else can I add to Miracle-Gro?

All Miracle Grow products have the time released nutrients far as I know and those can be a nightmare due to no control of when they release . If you add buying stuff to add to something cheaper I would think you would be better off just buying the better stuff to begin with IMHO.

Worm castings may be off the table anyway. The BigR local store had some, but all gone. They did have bags of "Ocean" potting soil for $8 per bag. About the same size as the Miracle-Gro ones, but double the price. Is there much differences in that and the MG?

Thanks for the replies

Also...is the ones like "Ocean" have the complete needs full grow or are they merely better and may need things like Big Bloom later? I did not read the label for it. Assuming it has no time-released nutes?

Also...is the ones like "Ocean" have the complete needs full grow or are they merely better and may need things like Big Bloom later? I did not read the label for it. Assuming it has no time-released nutes?

Yeah just make sure it doesn't have the time release stuff. Varies on the soil and the specific strain and personal preference and the gravitational pull of the moon (oh ok not the last one ;) :rofl:) as to when it will need added nutrients, most will get you 3-4 weeks, after awhile you will be able to read what the plant is telling you as to what it wants. Just like everything else in life sometimes you pay more for a "Brand" and it is no different than the off brand and other times the "no label" stuff isn't even in the same ballpark as the Name Brand stuff. You can wander thru all the grow journals and there may be a few folks that had success with Miracle Grow, but I have seen 5-8 times more of ones where it was causing them lots of grief in their grow. Growing in soil your medium is the most important part IMHO (hydro and hydro like mediums your nutrients are because there is little to none in the medium), so put the money there as you may not get max results but you could technically just use water and come away with something halfway decent to smoke. But like everything in life there are conflicting opinions (I'm usually in the middle except in this case maybe), and they cover all ends of the spectrum, so on of those ;) .

Varies on the soil and the specific strain and personal preference and the gravitational pull of the moon (oh ok not the last one ;)

Will check the bag for the Ocean soil. And thinking the moon does have some effect...remember The Farmer's Almanac? Like in when to plant?
Just a humor things.

Thanks for the info. Will check the bag info. Was figuring Big Bloom during flowering....which I already have.

Just pick up some good top soil without nutes from Home Depot. Less than 2.00 usd per bag. You'll need to add nutes to your water. get that right and generic top soil will do just fine.

found this at a colorado hd, looks perfect -
dba2c20b-de32-4e3a-aa1c-2425267c8ab7_1000.jpg

Just pick up some good top soil without nutes from Home Depot. Less than 2.00 usd per bag. You'll need to add nutes to your water. get that right and generic top soil will do just fine.

Sounds ok MS, but haven't the funds for proper nute purchases and learning them does not appeal. I may do that later...but what has more appeal is researching making an organic mix and eliminating the additives completely. I have knowledge of fruit trees, but that only translates a little for growing pot and even with the Pomology knowledge... I really do not have a green thumb. My balcony tomato plants will testify to that.
lol

I just over did the urine on them. Was using the same soil from previously and needed to boost the nitrogen some and urine is cheap.
:eek:)

They're not anything really damagied, but some of the tips got limp.

Appreciate the recommendations*

Thanks MS, but something happen that I'll likely not be growing indoors...at least for some time. I might plant a few Autos outdoors. Will have to do some forum searches for a good homemade organic mix I can do relatively inexpensively if I do the indoors.

Appreciate the response...guess I'll sort of suspend the thread.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom