Pots or bags?

ReactiveLlama

Greetings!

I have a grow space of about 27x30" and was planning on using 3 gal pots. However so far no matter how I measure it I can only get 5 pots in there using standard 3 gal buckets which are about 10 inches across and 10 high. However bags would allow me to have 9 plants in there and since I'd like to try a 12/12 from seed and most seeds come in packs of 10.. Well 9 would be perfect!

So what are the pro's and con's of bags vs. buckets?

And if bags do suck, can someone point out a place that sells 3 gal containers that are 8 inches in diameter? 8 would be perfect..

Thanks!! :bongrip:

If I can get 8 or 9 pots that will fit I will. I will scour the local stores, even thought about going to the local walmart and looking at small garbage pales, like the ones for bathrooms and the like. I can only imagine what the neighbors would think watching me measure out water from a 3 gal pale into a nice selection of bathroom garbage cans.

I want to do some experimenting with 12/12 growing and have already come to one conclusion. I don't want to use one large container. Bags allow for stuffing more plants in the cab but don't allow for tieing or training other than a scrog and while I may yet scrog I'm going to 12/12 until I find the strain I really want to grow on a regular basis.

After all, part of the reason I'm doing this is to experiment with different strains! :yummy:

I'm also thinking of raising a crop of seeds right away.. since I don't have access to bagseed I think experimenting to much on seeds costing $10 each is crazy. :smokin:

But my questions on a seed crop will have to wait for another thread.

Thanks!

I use a 2 gallon pot called the Perfect Pot. They are 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches.I get 12 of them in my 36x26 inch flower area.

Is a 2 gal enough? Stupid question if you're using them they obviously are. And here I felt guilty at 3 gals instead of 5. :scratchinghead:

Well 2 gal pots leaves all kinds of possibilities!

Thanks!

Here is the main root ball of a 12/12 for seed about 2 weeks before it should have been pulled. About perfect for a 2 gallon pot, at just over 2 feet.

DSCN5788a.jpg

i got some 3 gallon bags and i can fit 9 of them inside a 4' x 3' but i only got 6 in there and the plants are about 4 to 5 feet tall now and lookin very healthy. the bags are nice to slide around to get underneath the plants and there extremly flexable for repotting and take up zero space unlike a pot thats frozen in that shape. i got a couple in pots to tho and there not doin as good as the ones in bags but there still awesome plants.

Don't forget to check around your home supply stores when shopping as they make plastic trash cans in almost any size and shape you want. If pure grow space volume is the issue, square is generally better than round allowing more efficient side by side stacking. I have a number of work cubicle trash cans in the 9x9x14 variety. Pop drain holes and go.
I also make these assemblies from my empty 2.5gal water jugs as I own them already and are emptied on the hydro unit. Just cut the valve end out of jug, pop drain holes and paint to block light. If you look close you will see two bailing wire wraps around the side grooves as these can be mis-shaped under load when filled. With that extra support I have never had an issue yet. I then use the window planter style under tray as it will hold two of these units nicely. Although rectangular rather than square, I can line these assemblies right up in closet for good total count and still get to each for individual care or plucking males etc. I'll try to drop a photo instead of all these words, see if I can get it right.
h2Oplanter.jpg

Back
Top Bottom