Shasta County Planning Commissioners Approve New Medical Pot Laws

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Ca. - Shasta County planning commissioners Thursday passed a medical marijuana ordinance that could change the way co-ops and collectives do business if it's adopted by county supervisors.

The ordinance includes zoning and permit requirements as well as restrictions on how much and where marijuana can be grown.

The new law was developed by the county Planning Department in conjunction with several other county departments at the supervisors' behest after they turned down a proposed 45-day moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries in November.

Senior Planner Lisa Lozier said the ordinance specifies that dispensaries may be located only in specified - typically retail - zones and cannot operate near schools, libraries or other sensitive locations.

Use permits will be required, which are subject to a term limit and monitoring fees, along with a requirement that dispensaries file detailed operating plans, she said.

The ordinance also mandates a zoning permit for cultivation sites that will require the signature of the land/home owner as well as the verified medical marijuana patient or primary caregiver. Lozier said the patient or primary caregiver must live on the land where the marijuana is being grown.

The public hearing on the matter lasted about 45 minutes, with several people speaking for and against the ordinance. About three dozen people attended the meeting.

Janet Paine, a Happy Valley resident, told the commission her neighbor has a large medical marijuana garden on his 2.5-acre parcel where nine people grow the plants. She said she is concerned about it and wanted to know how the ordinance would address the situation.

"There is a size limitation based on the estimated size needed per plant," said Richard Simon, assistant director of resource management.

The ordinance limits outdoor grows on an acre or less to 60 square feet and grows on larger parcels can be no larger than 240 square, he said.

The limit applies no matter how many people are growing medical marijuana on the property, he said.

Dave Keith of Bella Vista told the board that while he doesn't have a medical marijuana recommendation, he doesn't want the government dictating what he does on his property.

"I don't want to be told what I can and can't grow on my own property," he said.

Sheriff Tom Bosenko also spoke against the ordinance, taking issue with some of the wording and suggesting more specific fencing requirements.

The ordinance requires a minimum 6-foot fence around all outdoor grow areas to block them from public sight. The fence must also include a locking gate, which must remain locked when the patient or caregiver is not in the immediate area.

Bosenko said the plants can grow much taller than 6 feet and his department has received many complaints about plants growing over fencing and encroaching onto neighboring yards or sidewalks.

Simon said any fence taller than 6 feet requires a building permit.

Before voicing his motion to approve the ordinance, Commissioner David Rutledge said he thinks it will have to be re-evaluated in a year as court rulings continue to change laws surrounding medical marijuana.

"Given this is pretty doggone new, I think saying we'll get it right the first time around is unrealistic," he said.

The ordinance also includes a warning that medical marijuana is still illegal under federal law and that the county will not accept any liability surrounding permit approvals or subsequent cultivation of medical marijuana.

The matter will go before the board of supervisors in the following weeks for final consideration. If approved it will be enacted 30 days after its passage.

NewsHawk: User: 420 Magazine
Source: redding.com
Author: Amanda Winters
Copyright: 2010 The E.W. Scripps Co.
Website: Shasta County planning commissioners approve new medical pot laws Redding Record Searchlight

• Thanks Irish for submitting this article.

Geez. These counties and cities can't pass these laws. They can't violate the law already passed. The only thing they can do is to try and contol them through zoning rules, but they can't control how much you grow.

Oh' but they think they are Gods. The time of reckoning is on its way for these neo-politicians. When is the State Attorney going to step in and clarify the law and tell these rogue politicians that you just cannot go around and change laws to satisfied your own personal agenda and arresting people in hopes that you can emotionally and financially destroy a person on their interpenetrations of the law. This is not what the people voted for. For Gods sake we are not a bunch of hicks who have to have dry towns and counties. We are not talking about drugs here, we are talking about Medicines that people on their own grow without using man made medicines. As it stands now I would not vote for Brown for anything until he mans up and sets the record straight and stops the sanity. The people have spoken twice do we need to speak a third time by voting all of the self rights' politicians out of a job...:peace:

Its exactly whats needed. Someone keep track of the politicians who are not following the law. Come november refresh the voters memory on who persecuted legal citizens.

Everyone's waiting for a ruling from an Anaheim lawsuit against the city by a legal marijuana collective that was shutdown when the city voted to ban such dispensaries. Point of fact, most county planning commissioners are not elected, they are appointed by supervisors (at least I was). I am impressed that Shasta County is as progressive as this article seems to read. It appears that county staff, the commission and board of supervisors are addressing this issue with due dilligence and a surprising lack of prejudice considering medical marijuana is such a controversial and polarizing issue.:goodjob:

Ya it looks good, put on paper as a ordinance. But They do not have the right to make up their own limits. Only the Attorney General can do that. Were is the Attorney General, keeping a low profile because he is thinking about the governorship. I don't think that I would want a governor that can't stand up for the small guy even when it is a total new concept and letting the state run amok... along with all the other Municipals Governments, D.A. and City Attorneys carrying on a privvvy torch to no where. How dare they take away rights that California Citizens Voted for by 56% margin. Running up millions of dollars in court cost and losing, because they do not believe that their state citizens are smart enough to understand medical marijuana. This money would be better used for our children not taking a court case to the Supreme Court. San Diego and San Bernardino and the city of Garden Grove and the other municipals spending money on fighting the will of the people. You should be ashamed of the money you wasted. look at your gang and crime problems that is were the money should be spent... not on certain egos...This is our chance to gain back some of those rights that were taken away under lies. We can't keep letting these people get away with it. Just like we, as outstanding citizens are held accountable for our actions so should government and its officers. The way things are now you have law enforcement taking peoples property and holding it hostage. The ransom is paying some lawyer to get it back. or they just take it using seizure laws to take your property without a hearing. When is this insanity going to stop... I would say that lines have been drawn in the sand. I think that you will see a new type of politician who will look at government and ask why... and they will get the votes of the 56% ... and Win ...:surf:

Help me understand the limitation concern. Prop 215 says patients can grow 12 juvenile or 6 mature plants. Some counties increase the amount a patient can grow...a lot more (Alameda I think). Is the concern that Shasta is not complying with Prop 215? As for the rant about the AG, he's the only serious contender for the democratic party bid for governorship. I totally understand that his campaign focus might be on other more important issues like the state deficit, the economy, jobs, etc. There will be an opportunity for voters to decriminalize/reguate cannabis in California this year with ballot box propositions. That seems like real progress to me. I'm cool with the AG and his focus. Vote for real cannabis reform law this year!

Read the actual document written up by Shasta County--it is unusable and entirely too restrictive:

Shasta County Government - County Departments

Small example: 240 square feet (12'x12') allowed for any garden cultivated on over an acre of land...period. Doesn't matter how many patients are growing on the same parcel, that's all that is allowed for cultivation on a parcel over 1 acre--which is exactly the area ONE of my Island Skunk shrubs grow in. And the rules go downhill from there.....

It seems that an unspecified and unquantified increase in various crimes and statute violations have been attributed to cannabis cultivation in Shasta County. If I were on that commission, I would ask staff to study the matter further and provide more documentation, facts and figures. (Which may or may not have accompanied this report). But it looks like it's too late for that. I would have to say law enforcement had a heavy hand in crafting this modification. The supervisors asked for this and now they'll likely vote for its approval. Now it will be up to MMJ patients, caregivers and advocates to lobby the board of supervisors. Unfortuneately, the burden falls on the terminally and chronically ill to represent themselves against this draconian measure. Thanks for providing the official text.

So its ok for your government to waste your money. Its cool that AG cannot do is job because of his image. The sick are suffering due to Government intervention. What the HELL is this world coming to.... When people are more concern with their image. No our government needs to do its job even if it means going against the status quos that was built upon lies... for the little guy is being run over with high court cost, overzealous politicians and law enforcement... And some people worry about image. This is all about FREEDOM my friend not image... and for the crime, its from gangs selling drugs to your children not medical Marijuana co-op selling to kids and going out and killing people... In my town the cops are more concern with giving out tickets than they are about doing their jobs.... Just like prohibition the gangs become stronger due to stupid laws that were put in place due to corruption of of the mind... If I really thought that the politicians were really concern about me than why are they not doing their jobs and protecting me from big money.... I would support them. But not when they hiding behind lies... and not acting like gangs in turf war...:surf:

There seem to be a number of fallacies in your logic apparently driven by anger and discontent. Chill, Bro.
No, it is not acceptable that government wastes taxpayer money.
For better or worse, Gerry Brown is a political animal. I would expect that he chooses his battles wisely. Cannabis is still a highly controversial and polarizing issue. You and I are on one side of that issue, but millions of voters may be on the fence. President Obama supports medical marijuana, the AMA is reviewing its policy on marijuana and I personally have the freedom to grow and consume marijuana as a medicine in California. The battle for the freedom you seek will be won with measured diplomacy and activism, not anger and hyperbole.

Speaking as a resident of Shasta Co, this SUCKS!! First the BS ordinances from City of Redding, and now the County makes it even more difficult to grow or obtain MMJ, due to the ridiculously high fees imposed on dispensaries and unrealistic restrictions on growing areas.

Enough is enough....I was SO optimistic this past fall, and now it seems as if we are quickly slipping backwards toward MMJ being viewed as a criminal activity again.

No, I am just a real person who is tired of seeing sick people hassled. Do you really know the history and reason behind the laws against Marijuana. If it was not for marijuana I would be dead. and what fallacies do you speak of. I just speak from the heart. Sorry if you feel that I personally attacked you. I do not have the time or need to attack you. You just need to read your post and see your flaws in your thought process... I am just sticking up for FREEDOM !!!! :peace:

If we did all agree... life would be very boring. Thank you Hydronebie for your input into the debate you are a tough opponent to debate. You do have a different outlook than I do. Looking foreword to debating you more on the issues and working with you to make this a real world. Thank 420 Mag for the boards and great staff.
Take Care,
Trekie :peace:

Geez. These counties and cities can't pass these laws. They can't violate the law already passed. The only thing they can do is to try and contol them through zoning rules, but they can't control how much you grow.

They can limit how much you grow by how much space they allow for a garden, and how many watts can be used in an indoor grow op. The parameters in this instance is so restrictive that adequate quantities of medicine per harvest per patient can hardly be attained, if at all.

...and thank you Trekie. I debate with anti-marijuana, status quo, pro-law enforcement knuckleheads almost every day in the local press forums. A new medical marijuana dispensary opened in my hometown without the consent of the city. It has caused quite a stir as you can imagine. The owner is preparing himself for a legal challenge as the city is threatening the landlord with $1,000 per day fines. I realize the challenge to our freedoms everyday; especially close to home. I also struggle with keeping a cool head on what I consider hot-button issues. Hopefully, soon, this year, the nonsense of local/jurisdictional hegemony against marijuana will end. Then government will have to re-focus on issues of greater importance; like the economy instead of boogie man issues like marijuana. While I am no expert, I have done some research on Anslinger, the marijuana tax, the 1970 controlled substance act, etc. Yes, it is all a house of cards based on lies and IMO zero science. The AMA was originally against the marijuana tax act and has since come full circle regarding its policy position. Cheers, mate.

hmmm, Drama...:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom