Michigan Marijuana Amendment Advocates Launch Legalization Campaign

420 Warrior

Michigan activists are kicking off a campaign Friday to amend the state constitution to legalize marijuana.

If passed, the proposed amendment would end the prohibition of the cultivation, use, sale and distribution of the cannabis plant for adults over the age of 21. It would not permit the use of marijuana while driving a motor vehicle.

Committee for a Safer Michigan, the Detroit-based group sponsoring the effort, believes the law would allow law enforcement officers to focus their resources on violent criminals and other public safety threats.

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Act, passed by voters in 2008, allows patients who register with the state to use the plant for medicinal purposes. But activists say Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette's adversarial interpretation of the law helped spur the effort for full marijuana legalization.

Since taking office in 2011, Schuette has worked to shut down marijuana clinics, and to prosecute patients enrolled in the state marijuana registry.

A recall effort against Schuette is also underway. That measure would need 807,000 signatures by March to be placed on the November ballot.

The official announcement of the marijuana legalization campaign coincides with a major drug bust by Detroit Police on Thursday. Following a lead, police raided a warehouse on the city's east side and seized 800 marijuana plants. A 37-year-old man is currently in police custody as a result of the bust, according to the department.

m_5_.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Huffington Post
Author: David Sands
Copyright: Copyright © 2012 TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc.

Have advocates formulated a viable plan for how to determine if someone is driving under the influence? If not, this proposal will meet the same resistance from LEO as the presently ill-defined MM law.

we have studies showing that alcahol and driving do not mix. where are the studies showing driving while high is dangerous?
personally, i am a much safer driver while high. without weed i am a very agressive driver, only time i have had tickets is when i was not high! well over a million miles driven 90% while smoking weed! i smoked weed before class when taking drivers training, and before taking road and written test at secretary of state, which i passed 100% weed is not alcahol, it has totally different effect and helps some of us focus better making us safer drivers, not to mention easier to get along with! so i challenge anyone to prove driving while high, (for a seasoned smoker) is dangerous. i would never suggest a new user try any potentially dangerous activities while high until they know the affects.
Ron Paul Revolution!

People can drive under the influence of prescription pain medications, which in my experience dull your senses and impair you; somewhat comparable to alcohol. Oldred said it right. If I'm ever doing anything under the influence of cannabis, I tend to put more focus and care into what I'm doing, and it always results in a better outcome as I'm not rushed and thinking clearly.

I would think a better approach would be to legalize, and then see if you have a problem with people being dangerous while under the influence of cannabis. I'm sure nothing will change. After all, isn't Cannabis non-toxic? How can you be intoxicated by something that isn't toxic? You don't see people getting tested for taking oxy's while they're driving

we have studies showing that alcahol and driving do not mix. where are the studies showing driving while high is dangerous?
personally, i am a much safer driver while high. without weed i am a very agressive driver, only time i have had tickets is when i was not high! well over a million miles driven 90% while smoking weed! i smoked weed before class when taking drivers training, and before taking road and written test at secretary of state, which i passed 100% weed is not alcahol, it has totally different effect and helps some of us focus better making us safer drivers, not to mention easier to get along with! so i challenge anyone to prove driving while high, (for a seasoned smoker) is dangerous. i would never suggest a new user try any potentially dangerous activities while high until they know the affects.
Ron Paul Revolution!

Yep...I was a "Long Haul, truck driver" for years and smoked the whole way, all over this whole country, without one single incident...ever!

Back
Top Bottom