George Gascon On Medical Marijuana: 'I Do Support It, I Have Said That Many Times'

420 Warrior

When San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon issued a memo earlier this month declaring the sale of medical marijuana illegal, activists were livid.

But the cannabis community can breathe a sigh of relief: On Wednesday, Gascon reassured reporters that he remains a supporter of the plant.

"I support medical marijuana and I have said that very many times," the district attorney told the San Francisco Examiner. "This particular brief was crafted three years ago and has been used from time to time by our attorneys. I have already taken steps to take that memo out of circulation."

Gascon's office originally issued the memo in response to the arrest of a medical marijuana delivery woman selling wares on behalf of Mr. Nice Guy, a Haight Ashbury dispensary that shuttered its storefront late last year. According to CBS News, police officers seized more than 100 bags of marijuana and hashish, 48 edibles and more than $600 from the woman.

Mr. Nice Guy closed down as a result of the Obama administration's renewed fight against medical marijuana in California last fall. Since the justice department began aggressively targeting cannabis clubs throughout the state, a number of shops in San Francisco have shut down, and many more have received threatening letters from U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag. Haag cites the dispensaries' proximity to schools as her primary justification for the crackdown.

Medical marijuana activists believe their community is being targeted by the federal government unjustly. "Its a total waste of federal resources," Stephanie Tucker, spokesperson for the San Francisco medical cannabis task force, told The Huffington Post. "Theyre attacking a peaceful, regulated community, and it's wasting money. Shame on them."

But if the movement has enemies in Washington, they can at least successfully claim one more ally on the homefront. Gascon told CBS all charges against the delivery woman in question would be dropped if the patient she was visiting has legitimate medical marijuana credentials and she was working on behalf of a licensed club.

"Dealing with marijuana is not a priority for this office," he said.

s-GEORGE-GASCON-MEDICAL-MARIJUANA-large.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Huffington Post
Author: Carly Schwartz
Copyright: © 2012 TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc.

Back
Top Bottom