Georgia: Two Freshmen Football Players Suspended After Arrests On Marijuana Charges

Jacob Redmond

Georgia freshmen football players Natrez Patrick and Chauncey Rivers were arrested early Wednesday morning on a possession of marijuana charge.

They are suspended for Saturday's game against Kentucky. A first violation of Georgia’s drug policy triggers an automatic one game-suspension.

"They made a very poor decision and I'm extremely disappointed," coach Mark Richt said in a statement released quickly Wednesday morning. "They will be disciplined in an appropriate manner and hopefully have learned a valuable life lesson that will benefit them moving forward."

Patrick is an inside linebacker from Mays High in Atlanta. Rivers is defensive end from Stephenson High in Stone Mountain.

The players were arrested at the top of the East Campus Village Parking Deck early Wenesday morning.

University of Georgia police officers were on patrol at 12:39 a.m. and noticed a parked vehicle with running lights on it while backed into a spot. There was smoke inside the vehicle, which made it hard to see the two people in it, according the police incident report.

There was a pile of loose tobacco lying on the ground near the car. An officer knocked on the passenger side window and when Rivers opened it, a cloud of smoke came out along with a strong odor of burnt marijuana, the report said.

The players were asked to come out of the car and when asked what they were doing admitted to smoking marijuana. Rivers eyes looed “glassy and blood shot.”

A search of the car produced a “a jam jar” between the passenger seat and center console and a PowerAde bottle in the cup holder that appeared to have remains of marijuana roaches and loose leaf tobacco. A stem and some loose leaf marijuana were spotted on top of a book on the driver side back seat. A field test on a small piece of suspected marijuana tested positive by color change.

They were charged with possession of marijuana of less than one ounce, a misdemeanor.

Patrick was booked into the Clarke County Jail at 2:23 a.m. Wednesday and posted a $1,000 bond at 6:19 a.m., according to the Clarke County Jail online booking report. Rivers was booked at 2:44 a.m. and posted the same bail amount at 6:51 a.m.

Patrick, who enrolled at Georgia in January, has 13 tackles, mostly on special teams. He played in every game this season before not making the trip to Florida with an undisclosed injury. Rivers has played in two games with one tackle for loss.

These are the first known arrests of Georgia football players this year. Wide receiver Isaiah McKenzie was accused of threatening a female at an Athens restaurant in September but police said she declined to prosecute so the investigation ended.

16456.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Two Freshmen Football Players Suspended After Arrests On Marijuana Charges
Author: Marc Weiszer
Photo Credit: Online Athens

Re: Georgia: Two Freshmen Football Players Suspended After Arrests On Marijuana Charg

What a waste of tax payers dollars. The only reason that they were harassed was because they were two Black guys parked in a car late at night. Typical Georgia police tactics that both of these guys should know how to handle as both are from the State.

RD :hookah::peace::peace:

Re: Georgia: Two Freshmen Football Players Suspended After Arrests On Marijuana Charg

12:39 am, it was dark so the cop didn't know what color the occupants were. I don't know if the cop z racist or not but they were hot boxing so he would have arrested them anyway, didn't matter what their skin color was.

What a waste of tax payers dollars. The only reason that they were harassed was because they were two Black guys parked in a car late at night. Typical Georgia police tactics that both of these guys should know how to handle as both are from the State.

RD :hookah::peace::peace:

Gotta agree that color played no part in this. Though cops are deadly racist pigs, that is true enough. No really, cops hate everyone who is not a cop.

One Adam-12 ... Bulldogs medicating in the parked car w the tail-lights on ... "Hey, what's up county man?" ... Arresting officer saith ... "Step out of the car, sirs!"

Well, being a life long die hard UGA Dawgs fan myself, I can honestly say that these guys missing one game will not make any difference this year as they are having a shitty season anyway.

I'm honestly shocked that these guys were only suspended for one game though, because my best friend from Columbus, GA was kicked off the UGA team and sent home packing after coming up hot on a piss test back in the early 90's, he was a red shirt freshmen and was never given a second chance like these two guys, he was just told to get his shit and go! Oh and by the way, he's a white guy, in case anyone was wondering? It wasn't a race thing, it was just a player on drugs thing, a "let's make an example out of him" thing, and they just found it in his system and not on him, not a caught red handed toking up thing, not a sitting in a car with smoke pouring out the window thing, just a trace in his piss thing and get the fuck out and don't come back thing! I'm still pissed off about that shit because it ruined what could have potentially been a kick ass career for my best friend and now he's stuck with a mediocre shitty paying job and struggling to get by like most everyone else, instead of living in the lap of luxury like he could be doing now because he was never given a second chance like these two dumb asses got!

I swear, some people are really stupid in their choice of places to toke up, especially when your smoking a blunt that probably has the strongest odor of any other way you can smoke...In a car on a public street? With the windows rolled up? With the parking lights on? In the early morning hours? Really? At that point in a state like this, you are just wanting, no, begging to get caught. That's about the dumbest thing you can possibly do unless your way up in your driveway out of sight or in a garage or back in the woods somewhere on private property, but out on a public street, or in a parking lot where the cops patrol constantly? You have to know your going to eventually get caught at some point and at that point I really have no sympathy for you because you really did ask for it...People, quit being stupid and going public like that in a militarized state like this one, don't give them an excuse to take you down because they will certainly do just that, they're just looking for an excuse! Smarten up!!! This ain't Colorado people, this is Georgia, you can't just advertise to the world that you're toking up and expect that no one will notice!

Back
Top Bottom