California: Will 'Big Marijuana' Obliterate The Small Family Farms?

Jacob Redmond

Its not every day you get invited to a Mendocino County pot farm. For so long, the folks who grow medical marijuana have lived in the legal shadows, caught in a squeeze between local officials who say they can grow and sell the stuff, and the feds, who say they are drug dealers if they do.

But the four 20-somethings who run PolyKulture Farms want out of the cannabis closet. Like any organic farmers, they are proud of what they grow, proud of their methods and proud of their respect for the land.

“It’s been in everyone’s best interest to be quiet about what we do,” said Micah Flause, 27, who owns the farm with his 25-year-old brother Zach; his girlfriend, Johanna Mortz, 28; and her 26-year-old brother Andrew. “But now we feel that we should introduce California to where this high-quality medicine is actually coming from. It comes from small farmers, not these big warehouses in the city.”

Micah, Zach and Johanna had been growing marijuana near Chico, where Micah was studying soil science. They moved to Mendocino because the county is friendly to small growers, and is known for the highest quality cannabis. Andrew, a former commercial fisherman, joined them six months ago.

They have not come to this terraced hillside to get rich. They speak reverently about the medicine they produce, and about the patients whom they are helping. Right now, per county law, they are allowed to grow only 25 plants (or “trees,” in the local parlance). A plant’s yield can vary widely. Last year, Micah told me, one of his plants produced nine pounds of manicured flowers, though most of his plants yielded four to six pounds. Lately, the per-pound price has ranged from $1,200 to $1,500.

A few years ago, Mendocino County allowed growers to have 99 plants per lot, but the federal government threatened to sue the county, and the program was scaled back. However, with the prospect of legalized recreational marijuana on the horizon, Mendocino supervisors are reconsidering the 25-plant limit.

The PolyKulture farmers worry constantly about financial viability. A mortgage for their five-acre parcel was out of the question, so their families spotted them the $405,000 purchase price. They moved in last May, which means they got a late start on this season’s crop. They planted clones, or cuttings, instead of seeds, and had to yank out their entire grow after it became infested with mites.

They work 12 hours a day, six days a week. On Sunday, they attend “Hash Church,” an online broadcast about the business.

If they can grow the kind of high-quality, organic cannabis they envision — pesticide-free, outdoors, in soil (not containers), with homebrewed compost tea (not fertilizer) — they will be able to make a living.

“Marijuana has allowed this county to exist,” said Julia Carrera, who picked me up in Ukiah and drove me to PolyKulture Farms. “It would be like Appalachia without marijuana. Economically, it would be dead.”

Carrera is founder of the Small Farmers Assn., a group of about 650 marijuana growers in Northern California who are committed to sustainable, bio-dynamic farming. The SFA certifies its growers, educates them about the ever-changing legal landscape, and works to ensure that the voice of the small farmer is heard in Sacramento, where lawmakers have just begun to create a regulatory framework for the medical marijuana industry, nearly two decades after California voters legalized it.

Carrera, 52, believes that many thousands of farmers are growing pot in North Coast counties, some legally licensed, many more not, but that most families use the proceeds as “patch income” to help them buy clothes for children and put food on the table.

It seems increasingly likely that recreational marijuana will be legalized in California. Small growers are worried, as well they should be, that moneyed interests are poised to wrest the business away from them.

“There are going to be battles,” said Hilary Bricken, a Seattle-based attorney who specializes in marijuana law and has been advising California farmers and dispensaries about the new state laws, set to take effect in 2016. “People are not used to the typical political machine that accompanies rule making. I have had numerous conversations with people, and when I ask them if they know a good lobbyist that can gain access in Sacramento, they go, ‘Why?’”

Plenty of reasons. Already, the state has created a preposterously complex system of 17 licenses related to the pot industry, as well as a scheme that would make it virtually impossible for growers like PolyKulture to retain control over the processing and distribution of the cannabis they have sweated to grow into those perfect, resiny buds with names like Lemon Chunk, Clementine and Blue Lime Pie.

Bricken said legislators are taking a page from the “tied-house rules” that govern the alcohol industry, where producers sell to distributors who sell to wholesalers and retailers.

“There’s got to be a middle man somewhere in the chain,” Bricken said, “and a lot of time that is done to create taxable events at the state level for revenue capture.”

The New Marijuana Age has led, inevitably, to some unintended consequences.

Mendocino growers must surround their property with 6-foot-tall fences, and plants may not be visible from any roadway. Yet as Carrera and I drove away from PolyKulture Farms, hundreds of linear feet of undulating wood fences on dozens of properties virtually screamed, “We’re growing pot here!”

I rolled down my window and the skunky smell of ripe marijuana blasted me in the face, a pervasive odor that, to some sensitive noses, is as noxious as pesticide.

To others, it's the smell of success.

“Even if the first wave of corporate takeover is devastating,” Micah told me, “the small farmer will be back, and the finest cannabis will always come from small farms. I do have faith.”

That's good, because I think he’s going to need it.

16458.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Will 'Big Marijuana' Obliterate The Small Farms Of Mendocino County?
Author: Robin Abcarian
Photo Credit: Robin Abcarian/LA Times

These folks have a uphill battle but I hope they prosper. This is a chance for them to live the American dream while at the same time run a clean toxic free farm. They need to be protected against big business running them out of business when legalization passes in 2016.

RD :hookah::peace::peace:

Well, my view of growing weed in extreme NorCal (Mendocino and Humboldt Counties; AKA 'the lost coast') has been much less than the ideal presented in many MJ related blogs and magazines. The industry has completely ruined many a town in northern California, and even in Oregon and Washington to some degree, for several reasons: 1) rents and real estate prices have gone through the roof as growers have forced prices up to rent and buy 'grow houses' and grow properties. 2) many houses have been completely destroyed by the high humidity of growing weed in them. 3) the results of the industry has forced many people to leave these areas due to the high cost of living there now. 4a) the industry has attracted many less than desirable types, including crack heads that have gone out into the remote areas and harvested redwood burl from old growth trees for a quick buck, killing the trees and destroying habitat. 4b) on the same note, problems have increased in these areas as people have gone into wilderness areas to grow weed. Several huge grow operations have been established by the Mexican cartels in many remote places in California, including some National parks, dropping illegals into areas to grow weed. 4c) many locations along the Lost Coast have become unsuitable for hikers and visitors as growers have set up extreme measures for protecting their crops. The net effect of these impacts in my experience have all been very negative.

So in my view the result of legalizing weed in California will overall have a good impact, especially in the more remote areas, as well as the Lost Coast. If they can manage to keep small growers going, fine, but I do not see how that will happen in the longer run. Here in Oregon and up in Washington, everyone wants to get rich quick on the MJ business. However, I am seeing supply rapidly ramp up to meet the demand, and as a result early small growers are doing well, but over time I believe that they will be bought out and/or be consolidated out over time. That always happens, regardless of the intention of the laws. In Oregon there is a 4 year residency requirement to be licensed for growing, distribution, producing, or selling weed. So outside interests are already 'buying up' Oregon residents to be partners with big out-of-state funding. Similarly, in Southern Oregon they are already setting up the leasing of land for growing on. The ramp up to high volume is going to be huge. This is on top of a MMJ indoor grow industry that has already expanded rapidly to meet the near term demands of recreational legalization (they legalized weed sales earlier than originally planned in Oregon on October 1, 2015). In WA state, once the eastern WA summer crop came in after legalization and licensing, the market was basically swamped with product.

At any rate, if CA can agree on one or several proposition, they have a better chance of at least one passing. If more than one proposition passes, the one with the most votes will 'win' and any other passing props that do not conflict with it will be merged into it. Any conflicting winning props will be dismissed along with losing props. Big business, in this case big alcohol and big tobacco, are specifically addressed in at least half of the 10 propositions filed in CA for legalizing weed. OR, CO and WA have addressed these issues in variable ways. Taxes and grow amounts vary in all the CA legal weed propositions, and legal amounts allowed vary. Over time though? I think we will wind up with Brand X and Brand Z products supported by lobby money, and the MJ taxes will go into the corrupt state coffers to pay for pork in the barrel. That always happens. Prohibition is being lifted, and it will happen state by state. At some point the FEDs will have to decriminalize it. The bigger the industry gets, the more apt it is to become under large corporate control.

My 2 cents anyway...

I think there'll always be people who reject "big canna" just on principle if not on quality. I suspect the small farmers will not only be okay, they'll actually be able to charge more for "artisanal product". :)

It looks to me like the prohibition on cannabis, the government sponsored "get big or get out" (at the behest of the OECD) and violations of anti-trust anti-monopoly laws - resulting in mega-corps which then actually control the regulatory bodies and the legislators, all began about the same time. So, if the change of the general public view on cannabis actually manifests, the thing to do is to go against the controlled, consolidated, centralized model and support small farms all around. Small farms, sales directly to consumers, and keeping government out of our right to consume what we want from whom we want to purchase it is what canna-culture must embrace. It's free market economics, and on these small farms, staying away from mono-culture will help produce better plants all around. In other words, don't be a cannabis only operation. Find good companion plants, and grow those as well. Otherwise growers will end up in the same position as mega farms, using pesticides and herbicides because the monoculture breeds problems...I once saw a bumper sticker that summed this up: Mono-Culture=Death.

Don't follow the jacked up, corporately controlled, commodity market based, model that got us here.

Oregon is trying to do that, but... I already see centralization for weed supply focusing in Eugene. I tried to sell garlic (I used to grow 75 strains of heirloom garlic) at the Eugene Farmer's Market once, but that is a guild. You have to go through hurdles and hoops to sell there, and it is set up for larger farmers that control the market. Not all bad, my neighbor was one of them. His name was Rich. He joked that he was the only rich farmer that I would ever meet. But just the same, guilds, mega-farms and monopolies form over time, regardless of intention. My response to the Eugene Farmer's Market guild was to sell on Craigslist. I developed a rather large following and sold out every year. But that first year and being essentially locked out of the market was a ball breaker.

Even if "Big Grass" plays nice with the small growers, the wholesale price of dweeb per gram is set to free fall. Already at $10 per gram retail in OR and at $4 per gram wholesale, with 90 cents as the proposed "Big Grass" bottom limit required to turn a massive indoor greenhouse profit over a massive volume of flowers, enter the Benefit Corporation "For people, For planet, For profit" to stem the tide of price descent. Just as moonshine blankets Appalachia, soon smokeable flowers will be bifurcated between those labeled connoisseur with the pedigree of terroir appellation and those labeled "For CO2 Distillation".

Well, the deadline for getting enough signatures for propositions to be on the election ballot in CA in 2016 is next month. We shall see what happens. There seems to be a separate effort to get it on the ballot as an initiative as well.

I was too young to vote on the issue in CA in 1972, when it was proposed that MJ be decriminalized there. Just imagine! I thought that everyone smoked weed in CA in 1972! I voted for legalizing MMJ there in '96.

Looks like California, Arizona and Nevada will have MJ legalization on the ballot in 2016. At the same time many Oregon counties and cities will have measures on the ballot to opt out. It will be nice if more of the western US states fill in the legalization process! There is an outside chance that Maine and Massachusetts will have some sort of a run at legalization, but I think it will be a while yet before any eastern or midwest states legalize it.

Back
Top Bottom