Medical Marijuana 'Joke' Comment Leads To Thousands Calling For DEA Chief's Firing

Jacob Redmond

More than 36,000 people had signed a petition as of Friday morning asking President Barack Obama to fire Drug Enforcement Administration head Chuck Rosenberg over comments he made on medical marijuana. Rosenberg said Nov. 4 that smoking marijuana for medicinal purposes "is a joke," CBS News reported.

"What really bothers me is the notion that marijuana is also medicine, because it's not," Rosenberg said, according to CBS News. "We can have an intellectually honest debate about whether we should legalize something that is bad and dangerous, but don't call it medicine -- that is a joke."

The Change.org petition, started by the marijuana reform group Marijuana Majority, stated Rosenberg's comments went too far and that medical marijuana isn't a joke for some seriously ill patients who use the drug as prescribed by doctors. "President Obama should fire Chuck Rosenberg and appoint a new DEA administrator who will respect science, medicine, patients and voters," the petition said.

One of the petition's supporters, musician Melissa Etheridge, became a proponent of medical marijuana after she began using it following her 2004 breast cancer diagnosis. But Rosenberg, who was named DEA head in May, said that while extracts and components of marijuana have promise medicinally, smoking marijuana has not been shown to be safe or effective medicinally.

As of Nov. 9, 23 states and Washington, D.C., have passed laws allowing for medical marijuana, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Some scientists have said medical marijuana has potentially therapeutic value for pain relief. Some studies have also indicated marijuana can relieve symptoms of cancer and HIV/AIDS.

A DEA spokesperson tried to clarify Rosenberg's remarks, saying that Rosenberg indicated marijuana should be scrutinized at the same level as other substances intended for medical use, according to the Washington Post. The spokesperson said the DEA supports researching the potential uses of medical marijuana.

16492.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana 'Joke' Comment Leads To Thousands Calling For DEA Chief's Firing
Author: Adam Lidgett
Photo Credit: Reuters

Re: Medical Marijuana 'Joke' Comment Leads To Thousands Calling For DEA Chief's Firin

Thank you Olderthandirt for linking the petition:circle-of-love:
I signed and hope everyone else does too. That guy does not belong in a position of authority, completely irresponsible. Obviously none of his children have medical issues. I find it a tad bit funny that so many people are against something until it effects them directly then suddenly they want to be open minded about it.
So long as they are willing to be open minded I do not care how they got there, just get there please.

Re: Medical Marijuana 'Joke' Comment Leads To Thousands Calling For DEA Chief's Firin

I agree, signed, this guy has to go!

I added it to my sig!!

Let's get together and fight this fight! :tommy:

Change.org did an automatic bump of the signature goal to 150k, good thing as I unnerstan.

Per the We The People page over to the White House a petition gots to have 100k sigs within 30 days to get a response. Right.

I'm honestly not clear as to how petitions hosted by change org pass on to white house though. Entirely too many topics I be clueless about...

Vice News picked up this story the other day, its been signed so many times in such a short span. Without a doubt we will hit our goal;

I'm sick of attorneys opining on matters of health. These narcissistic fools think that either no one is listening or that spouting garbage with conviction counts for something. Meanwhile, as a New York State resident, I can't legally get the medicine I need.

83,000!

And this comes from a new DEA chief at that!!! All these upper level executives must have gone to the most expensive schools that money can buy. They really must have gotten a real"HIGHER" education!!! I would rather have a fast food worker running this post if he is a honest and responsible person,than this conceited asshole!!

RD :hookah::peace::peace:

Meet the new DEA fuck ─ worse even than the old DEA fuck!!!

The DEA is American political stupidity writ large . . .

The real problem here is that these people have no scientific, medical knowledge or training what so ever and are making bold unfounded public statements that have no merit or backing. This is pure propaganda and lies, nothing more! It's the same crap that Anslinger shoved down Americans throats 70 years ago, but the problem for them now is that we're not accepting that shit anymore, we know the truth now and we're done with the lies and deception about our beloved plant. I say it shouldn't stop with this yahoo, I say the entire DEA needs to be restructured and revamped to be totally focused on hard, deadly drugs only, the ones that can actually really kill you. Get them out of the lies and propaganda business and into the saving lives business, that's what we pay them for and that's what they should be doing, period!

The real problem here is that these people have no scientific, medical knowledge or training what so ever and are making bold unfounded public statements that have no merit or backing. This is pure propaganda and lies, nothing more! It's the same crap that Anslinger shoved down Americans throats 70 years ago, but the problem for them now is that we're not accepting that shit anymore, we know the truth now and we're done with the lies and deception about our beloved plant. I say it shouldn't stop with this yahoo, I say the entire DEA needs to be restructured and revamped to be totally focused on hard, deadly drugs only, the ones that can actually really kill you. Get them out of the lies and propaganda business and into the saving lives business, that's what we pay them for and that's what they should be doing, period!

This comment almost immediately made feel like getting up and rioting the entire system, where not stupid, gullible because we fell for their lies for a very long time, but not stupid.

This comment almost immediately made feel like getting up and rioting the entire system, where not stupid, gullible because we fell for their lies for a very long time, but not stupid.
We are not stupid. we are cowards. Stupidity can be fixed, cowardice is soul deep. We are a bunch of sniveling cowards. Like in Hitler's Germany, see how far cowardice gets us. Hitler was not responsible for destroying Germany, the cowards who sat by and out of self preservation let it happen are the real responsible ones. Are you listening, you money grubbing lawyers?

I say it shouldn't stop with this yahoo, I say the entire DEA needs to be restructured and revamped to be totally focused on hard, deadly drugs only, the ones that can actually really kill you. Get them out of the lies and propaganda business and into the saving lives business, that's what we pay them for and that's what they should be doing, period!
The DEA should never have existed in the first place and the sooner it ceases to exist the better for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom