California: MMJ Conference Focuses On Use For Cancer Patients, Senior Citizens

Jacob Redmond

Dozens of people attended the Awaken America Cannabis Conference in Sacramento.

The event focused on the use of medical marijuana, specifically for seniors and cancer patients. Many attendees shared their stories.

"I vomited for 15 straight months and lost 53 pounds," user Sioux Colombe said.

"I had a lump on my breast, and they said it was a pre cancerous breast lesion," user, Linda Amelia said.

"I was diagnosed with metastatic cancer," Dr. Marian Fry said.

While these women suffered from different ailments, one thing brought them together. All of them said they have been saved, thanks for medical marijuana.

"It worked overnight. I stopped throwing up, it was amazing," Colombe said.

Dr. Marian Fry, MD. practiced traditional Western medicine for years, but when she was diagnosed with cancer in the '90s, she said she suffered major side effects. So she turned to medical marijuana.

She said it helped her tremendously, and that is why she is now helping others get educated.

"It's been used by human beings for 6,000 years, and up until 80 years ago, it was the standard for all medical practice," Fry said. "I had no interest in cannabis. I had an interest in taking care of my family, raising my children, and helping people where ever I could."

Just because someone is a cannabis user and advocate, many said it does not mean they are totally against the use of traditional medications.

"You can use what the doctor prescribes for chemotherapy, radiation, and they use cannabis right along side of that.," Amelia said.

Amelia was first introduced to medical marijuana after the passage of the Compassionate Use Act in 1996.

"There is a legal map and I think you need to follow that," Amelia said.

At first she used it after finding a breast lump. Now, the 63 year old uses it to help with her hormonal imbalances. Seniors her age and older are prescribed the drug for menopause, dementia, cancer, and much more.

They come in a variety of forms, easy for seniors to consume.

"There is no way I am encouraging seniors to take up a habit of smoking anything," Fry said.

While marijuana may not be the mainstream form of medicine now, they said there is no harm in educating the public about an alternative.

"Like a good glass of wine, find what works for you," Amelia said.

14963.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Conference Focuses On Use For Cancer Patients, Senior Citizens
Author: Rina Nakano
Photo Credit: Michael Del Castillo

Back
Top Bottom