The DEA Has Failed To Eradicate Marijuana, Congress Wants Them To Stop Trying

Jacob Redmond

The Drug Enforcement Administration is not having a great year.

The chief of the agency stepped down in April under a cloud of scandal. The acting administrator since then has courted ridicule for saying pot is "probably not" as dangerous as heroin, and more recently he provoked 100,000 petition-signers and seven members of Congress to call for his head after he called medical marijuana "a joke."

This fall, the administration earned a scathing rebuke from a federal judge over its creative interpretation of a law intended to keep it from harassing medical marijuana providers. Then, the Brookings Institution issued a strongly worded report outlining the administration's role in "stifling medical research" into medical uses of pot.

Unfortunately for the DEA, the year isn't over yet. Last week, a group of 12 House members led by Ted Lieu (D) of California wrote to House leadership to push for a provision in the upcoming spending bill that would strip half of the funds away from the DEA's Cannabis Eradication Program and put that money toward programs that "play a far more useful role in promoting the safety and economic prosperity of the American people": domestic violence prevention and overall spending reduction efforts.

Each year, the DEA spends about $18 million in efforts with state and local authorities to pull up marijuana plants being grown indoors and outdoors. The program has been plagued by scandal and controversy in recent years. In the mid-2000s, it became clear that the overwhelming majority of "marijuana" plants netted by the program were actually "ditchweed," or the wild, non-cultivated, non-psychoactive cousin of the marijuana that people smoke.

More recently, overzealous marijuana eradicators have launched heavily armed raids on okra plants and warned the Utah legislature of the threat posed by rabbits who had "cultivated a taste for the marijuana." Last year, the DEA spent an average of roughly $4.20 (yes, really) for each marijuana plant it successfully uprooted. In some states, the cost to taxpayers approached $60 per uprooted plant.

The program has also proven to be ineffective. The idea behind pulling up pot plants is to reduce the supply of marijuana, thereby reducing its use. In 1977, two years before the program's introduction, less than a quarter of Americans said they'd ever tried pot, according to Gallup. By 2015, after 36 years of federal marijuana eradication efforts, the share of Americans ever trying pot nearly doubled, to 44 percent.

Given that marijuana is legal in some form or another in nearly half of the nation's states, some lawmakers are saying enough is enough. "The seizure of these plants has served neither an economic nor public-safety nor a health-related purpose," Lieu and his colleagues write. "Its sole impact has been to expend limited federal resources that are better spent elsewhere."

The letter-writers note that the provision to strip $9 million in funding from the program passed on voice vote earlier in the year, "without any opposition from either party." They urge leadership to include the provision in a must-pass spending bill later this year.

Lieu doesn't want to stop there: Next year he intends to introduce a measure "to eliminate the program completely," he said earlier this year. Whether that actually happens will probably depend on how this year's measure fares during upcoming spending bill negotiations.

16556.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: The DEA Has Failed To Eradicate Marijuana, Congress Wants Them To Stop Trying
Author: Christopher Ingraham
Photo Credit: Adithya Sambamurthy

I suppose the MJ has those rabbits so fired up they are raping young women and stealing carrots from hapless farmers.

Tom Lieu needs to work on his sound bites
"Its sole impact has been to expend limited federal resources that are better spent elsewhere."

The DEA does a lot more than waste money..

The DEA kills people directly in the USA and in foreign countries.

The DEA indirectly causes thousands of USA and foreign deaths per year, through their intense pressure on marijuana dealers by funneling money onto the hands of drug lords and their drug wars - just like the prohibition enforcement against alcohol created Al Capone and other mobsters and mob wars.

According to HuffPost, they also do "sketchy stuff"

12 Of The Sketchiest Things The DEA Has Done While Waging The War On Drugs

... rabbits who had "cultivated a taste for the marijuana."

I wonder how many rabbits have been arrested? lol

I suppose the MJ has those rabbits so fired up they are raping young women and stealing carrots from hapless farmers.

Thr Stoned Rabits!!! It reminds me of Alice in Reeferland.Lets all go mushroom hunting and get a real life.

ROFLMAO!!! :nomo: :rofl:

Y'all are some funny mofo's!!

More recently, overzealous marijuana eradicators have launched heavily armed raids on okra plants

Damn, I guess I need more okra in my diet? I didn't know okra was such a highly valued commodity? Watch your vegetable gardens guys/gals, that okra is a mince to society and now public enemy #1 and the DEA is out for blood, kicking ass and taking names!!! :thedoubletake: :loopy::hmmmm::rofl:

Great post Jacob, you rock brother!!! :thanks: :goodjob:

Everybody sing...."And the walls come tumbling down, and the walls come tumblin' crumblin' and the walls come tumblin' crumblin' dowwwwwwn, yea yea yea yeayeayea yeaaa"!!! :theband::slide::slide::slide:

This is just what we wanted to see with that petition we all signed, we spoke out and it looks like they finally listened. Talking about cutting DEA funding today with talk of eradicating funding entirely for fighting the war against Cannabis in the future? That's a huge win for us guys! Our job now is to keep the pressure on them and see to it that this happens!!!

I say we run with this news and start yet another petition to help hammer this home, maybe we could even get some of the staff here on board to help us with it? IDK? Just a thought and certainly not an expectation as I know full well how full their hands are with the site as is?

I want to taste those rabbits, pre-marinated, nice!

Rabbits? Hell man, I want some of that high potency okra they're yanking up to go along with that rabbit fricassee...I heard edibles are the way to go? now we have meat and vegetables added to the list, then add some of those brownies and cookies for desert??? YUM!!! Thanksgiving Dinner will never be the same again, lol :morenutes::yummy::drool:

Interesting article. As weird as it sounds, the US is one of the most liberal countries when it comes to weed and I have great hope when it comes to America as a pioneering country in legalization. I don't know of any other country where cannabis is literally legalized (even if it is on a state basis), I know it's still illegal according to the federal government but still... Even in Amsterdam and Spain, it's decriminalized but technically it's just tolerated, not actually legal. I live in a European country with pretty lax laws concerning weed, I can have a small amount and only get fined a 100$ in the worst case scenario but I still wish I could live somewhere with laws like in Colorado or Washington.

Interesting article. As weird as it sounds, the US is one of the most liberal countries when it comes to weed and I have great hope when it comes to America as a pioneering country in legalization. I don't know of any other country where cannabis is literally legalized (even if it is on a state basis), I know it's still illegal according to the federal government but still... Even in Amsterdam and Spain, it's decriminalized but technically it's just tolerated, not actually legal. I live in a European country with pretty lax laws concerning weed, I can have a small amount and only get fined a 100$ in the worst case scenario but I still wish I could live somewhere with laws like in Colorado or Washington.

Yea, I believe Mexico just passed full legalization and Canada is poised to legalize as well. We have 4 states, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska as well as our nations capital Washington DC legalized for recreational use by adults. California is well on it's way to legalize as well with a few other states in the works too. It's just a matter of time now before the whole house of cards to comes crashing down. Most every country has been fallowing the United States lead with this war on Cannabis for all these years so if that trend continues, I feel that most every country will fallow suit as well, especially in Europe.

You guys really should be getting active and pushing your governments for this. Strike right now while the iron is hot my friend(s), there is no better time in the history of Cannabis prohibition for people to be proactive and fighting against this awful war on our beloved Cannabis plant and for the people who's very lives depend on ending it.

Yea, I believe Mexico just passed full legalization

The Mexican Supreme Court allowed medical use for a small group of people. Their government is still debating full medical and/or full recreational.

The Mexican Supreme Court allowed medical use for a small group of people. Their government is still debating full medical and/or full recreational.

:thanks: Thanks for the correction brother Jacob, I knew they were getting the ball rolling in the right direction somehow, I guess I took it as they had legalized when I read they were just talking about legalizing? My bad, I let my human side show a little, lol :loopy:

Anyway we slice it though, we are poised to have both of our bordering countries legalized soon and that's super huge because we as Americans, by nature are competitive and aren't prone to be out done by anyone like that. That's just how Americans roll.

I can see it now with all the nay-sayers saying..."WHAT? Canada and Mexico legalized Marijuana? Oh hell no they didn't out do us on something, not on my watch! It's high time America legalized it too" The ole "Can't be out done by the Jones's" syndrome will come out in this country, watch what I say guys, it's human nature here in this country.

The United States seem to be the most liberal when it comes to Cannabis.

YOU MUST REMEMBER that the US was and still is the driving force behind the World's DRACONIAN Cannabis Laws. Just look at Asia and Africa not to mention Europe. Where Cannabis was condoned we have made sure that it isn't anymore!!!!

RD :hookah::peace::peace:

YOU MUST REMEMBER that the US was and still is the driving force behind the World's DRACONIAN Cannabis Laws. Just look at Asia and Africa not to mention Europe. Where Cannabis was condoned we have made sure that it isn't anymore!!!!

Very true RD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was Nixon that systematically got almost every nation in the world outlawing Cannabis in the first place...Right?

Damn this country just can't seem to mind it's own business and stay out of other's affairs, we're like the nosy old lady across the street that just has to butt in and put in her two cents worth, even if doesn't pertain to her, she just gets involved anyway...I never understood that one? Why can't we just tend to our own problems and let everyone else tend to theirs? :hmmmm:

Israel, Canada and at least one other country in one south american have government sanctioned grows and have commited to government sales.

Israel will be selling in pharmacies alongside manufactured drugs.

The Italian army is growing medical marijuana.

The USA, as the largest international marijuana prohibition agency, is obviously very important, but they/we are not leading the change.

Surprisingly one of the most repressive governments in the world is also the most laissez - faire about growing and using cannabis. There are no criminal sanctions against growing or using cannabis. North Korea is effectively the most cannabis permissive country in the world.

When It Comes To Marijuana, North Korea Appears To Have Liberal Policy Of Tolerance

The program has also proven to be ineffective. The idea behind pulling up pot plants is to reduce the supply of marijuana, thereby reducing its use. In 1977, two years before the program's introduction, less than a quarter of Americans said they'd ever tried pot, according to Gallup. By 2015, after 36 years of federal marijuana eradication efforts, the share of Americans ever trying pot nearly doubled, to 44 percent.

Lieu doesn't want to stop there: Next year he intends to introduce a measure "to eliminate the program completely," he said earlier this year. Whether that actually happens will probably depend on how this year's measure fares during upcoming spending bill negotiations.

16556.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: The DEA Has Failed To Eradicate Marijuana, Congress Wants Them To Stop Trying
Author: Christopher Ingraham
Photo Credit: Adithya Sambamurthy
It appears I was one of the 25% of Americans to try MJ before 1977 in fact I can remember the 1st time I ever tried it in 1973. I caught all kinds of crap from my friends for doing it. They said things like "Only a dope would use dope" Funny how just a few years later they were all trying it too. I honestly believe that the fastest way to get someone to try something is to tell them "Do not try this". It is in our human nature.

I love that they want to cut the program by 50% and then wait a year to see how this measure fares during upcoming spending bill negotiations. Yes lets use this as a negotiation tool. We will only destroy 1/2 as many peoples live this coming year.

Enough is enough, this needs to end now, not next year, not because it is a negotiation chip for political reasons, it needs to stop because it is the "Moral" thing to do!

It appears I was one of the 25% of Americans to try MJ before 1977 in fact I can remember the 1st time I ever tried it in 1973. I caught all kinds of crap from my friends for doing it. They said things like "Only a dope would use dope" Funny how just a few years later they were all trying it too. I honestly believe that the fastest way to get someone to try something is to tell them "Do not try this". It is in our human nature.

I love that they want to cut the program by 50% and then wait a year to see how this measure fares during upcoming spending bill negotiations. Yes lets use this as a negotiation tool. We will only destroy 1/2 as many peoples live this coming year.

Enough is enough, this needs to end now, not next year, not because it is a negotiation chip for political reasons, it needs to stop because it is the "Moral" thing to do!

Yea, it was kind of a similar story for me too back in the "Just Say No" era of the early 80's, when I was a dumb kid just being nosy and found my dad's MJ stash and I would sneak out in the woods and smoke a bowl or two and soon after realized just how much I loved the feeling of getting high and just how much I loved the flavor of Cannabis itself, then I told my friends about it, who had been sneaking around and drinking their parents booze and they were all chastising me for smoking pot, calling me a "pot head" but it was only a short time later that they wanted to try smoking pot with me and now to this day we are all still smoking it. It's kind of ironic that I was the first to try it among my friends and it turned out that I am the most active one of us to be fighting for it's legalization so that we can all be free to smoke it as we please. I can't get any of them to get involved with me though and I give them all kinds of hell about that.

As far as cutting federal funding for DEA Cannabis eradication efforts in half, your exactly right OG, it needs to be cut out entirely, it's such a huge waste of resources that they could be using towards eradicating hard deadly drugs in this country, which I totally support. Believe it or not guys, I'm not totally opposed to the DEA itself, I just believe they need to quit going after Cannabis all together. Honestly I'd love to see every gram of coc*ine, her*in and m*th taken off the streets of this country because these things actually DO ruin peoples lives and actually DO contribute to crime and violence, plus it's really sad to see someone who was once a good and decent person slip further and further away from reality and loose everything including their relationships with the family and friends that love them because they can't break their addiction to these deadly substances, I've seen it with my own eyes and it's really sad. So yea, I totally support the DEA in it's efforts to eradicate these life killing substances.

I tend to believe that this could be a good angle for us to use towards getting the DEA to quit even caring about Cannabis and persuade them to put all their time, money and effort into eradicating deadly drugs, up to and including pharmaceutical drug abuse. I do however believe that the only people that should be sent to prison for these deadly drugs are the people who are selling them on the black market though, because I think users only really need addiction therapy and support to get them back to a normal productive life. I know first hand that Cannabis is awesome for deadly drug addiction therapy too, so with Cannabis we would even have the tools to help these people better than we currently do.

Back
Top Bottom