The World Is Going To Be Looking To Canada On Cannabis Legalization

Jacob Redmond

The federal health minister says "the world is going to be looking to Canada to make sure we do the job well" when it comes to legalizing and regulating marijuana.

In an interview with CBC News, Jane Philpott said the government will look abroad for best practices, but said she doesn't see a perfect model anywhere.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau campaigned on the legalization and regulation of marijuana for recreational use, and has mandated Philpott, along with Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould, to create a federal-provincial-territorial process to accomplish that.

Philpott said the government will create a task force to consult with legal authorities, public safety officials and Health Canada scientists, who already have a role in regulating products with health risks such as tobacco.

Scientists in her department have already started to brief her on the topic, she said.

Philpott, a family doctor, has four children, including one who is a teenager. She said she tries to have open conversations with all of them about a range of health issues, including marijuana.

Those conversations have convinced her the current system of prohibition and criminalization is not working.

"I think if any of your viewers, if they ask their teenage children, they can verify for them that [marijuana] is far too accessible. And obviously there's issues around safety and concentrations that are available in certain products are very dangerous," Philpott said.

"Often the products are not pure, and that's something that's a serious health concern for us."

Philpott said it is too early to speculate on what kind of restrictions will be placed around the sale of marijuana, such as an age limit – but she said her government is committed to keeping it away from teenagers.

"It's extremely important to me as a young parent and as a [health-care] provider to make sure we keep marijuana out of the hands of kids and young people, whose brains are developing. And at the moment, unfortunately, it's extremely accessible," she said.

Pot in corner stores?

The Opposition Conservatives did not respond to a request for comment Friday on what they want to see in the government's legislation.

But during the election campaign, the Conservatives were critical of the Liberal plan, telling voters it would lead to marijuana being sold in corner stores, where teenagers could get their hands on it easily.

Trudeau said he didn't think corner stores would be the best place to sell marijuana, suggesting staff weren't always rigorous enough in checking ID.

(The industry association that represents convenience stores noted at the time it hasn't advocated for the right to sell marijuana, though it wasn't happy with Trudeau's characterization of its members' handling of age-restricted products.)

Philpott said most health-care providers are not opposed to the Liberal Party's plan on marijuana.

"I would say they are cautious about this, as I am. We need to be cautious about it," she said. "But I think most thoughtful Canadians recognize that the current system isn't working and they're looking to us to make sure we make a wise decision."

The Canadian Medical Association declined to comment, saying only "we acknowledge the complexity of the issue and the varying perspectives."

31836.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: The World Is Going To Be Looking To Canada On Cannabis Legalization
Author: Susan Lunn
Photo Credit: Tim Hussin

Let's see if I got this straight. They know that cannabis is easily available for teenagers to get but they are worried about legal cannabis leaking out to them. Somehow black market cannabis that may be contaminated with who knows what is safer than cannabis that has been inspected.

This doesn't make sense, I must be stoned. lol

Let's see if I got this straight. They know that cannabis is easily available for teenagers to get but they are worried about legal cannabis leaking out to them. Somehow black market cannabis that may be contaminated with who knows what is safer than cannabis that has been inspected.

On top of it, credible scientists have never identified a health problem with cannabis - for children or adults.

Health benefits, yes. Health problems, no.

Yeah I also noticed when I first read that article that what the woman said makes no sense. Decades of prohibition and effort to eradicate cannabis, and we have a situation where it is 'far too accessible', she says. So, in moving to legalize it, what new opportunity is there now to handle this terrible problem of it being 'too accessible'. More prohibition style laws to jail people who are selling to teenagers? Like- we must legalize but crack down at the same time?
I'm pretty sure what they are saying is- they don't want the liability of the teenagers buying from them, even though the street stuff is 'impure' and bad.

'Bad guys stop selling those bad drugs. Good guy$ will now $ell the good ni¢e drug$.
Teenies, just say no.'

All you guys make awesome points here but another one y'all kinda missed was the whole corner store issue, these are the same corner stores that will sell you all the alcohol you can fit in your car to take home and drink yourself to death with. It's funny that none of these people even recognize alcohol as a much more deadly "Health Risk" than Cannabis will EVER be, let alone tobacco use in which you can buy as many packs as you can afford to buy at any time day or night, but that big bad Cannabis is such a huge concern on how to go about the sale of it, WOW, REALLY?!!!

It's real simple, sell Cannabis in any amount to anyone who is 21 or older in any place that you can buy alcohol and let's be done with it. No one seems to be too concerned if someone buys a keg of beer a gallon of whisky and a carton of cigarettes at any given time? hmm, no red flags there? And how do they know for certain that these proven "Deadly Substances" aren't going to be consumed by a bunch of teens at a party? And chances are they will?? But heaven forbid if you want to buy an ounce of BC Bud from the local corner store..."OMG We can't have that kind of health risk around our kids"!

First off, where's the proof of Cannabis being a "health risk" anyway? This has never been proven no matter how hard they've tried to prove otherwise and that's 75+ years of trying to prove it to be, so at this point "HEALTH RISK" is just more scare tactic language designed to spread more propaganda to uneducated people to make them fearful and want to fight against something they know nothing about, same old tired bullshit they have been doing all these years! "Health Risk"="Reefer Madness", plain and simple!

As a Canadian I'm excited that we have a government that has committed to legalize marijuana for recreational use. The New Democrate Party (NDP) and the Green Party also promised the same during our recent election. This is very encouraging but also a large undertaking. They want to get it right and also want the appearance of getting it right. Appearance in politics is all important. Politicians want to get re-elected so they need to convince the public that they are doing what's good for Canadians. Politicians say there are studies that show marijuana is harmful for young people's developing brain. So this seems to be the main concern about legalizing marijuana. And it is this issue that the politicians will have to convince the public they are in control of. That's what I get out of this news article. Convincing the general population that our young people will not be able to access legal marijuana. I see this as their first step. It's all about appearance.

Yes, to be fair, they do have to get their asses covered first or they'll be undermined by the other parties and won't be able to get anything done at all. Let hope they find that balance between ass protection and assertiveness. Decisive action reaps it's own rewards from the voters.

IMHO I do not think that model will work up here in Canada. We have a strong history government control over cash rich industries. As far as leading the way, here is something i wrote yesterday...

After the replacement of our Conservative government with a new Liberal government which campaigned on legalization for recreational use one would think that the RCMP would have a wait and see attitude about illegal dispensaries until legislation is unveiled. Or at the very least make their intentions know in a clear and concise manner.

However, recents actions by the RCMP show that this is not the case. Dispensaries in Naniamo, Mission and Vernon have been threatened to cease operations or face enforcement action. Arrests have already been made in Nanaimo and Schelt.

I ask myself: why invest valuable police resources and clog an already congested court system to arrest and prosecute people who are doing something that the government itself has plans to become in involved in the not so distant future and why now?

Staff Sgt. Rob Vermeulen of the RCMP E- Division says that " Each detachment sets their own priorities based on local circumstances in their communities and public safety needs."

Cpl Jon Start of the Nanimo RCMP detachment highlighted the fact that...

" There is no legal mechanism in Canada which allows for medicinal marijuana dispensaries or compassion clubs to sell or gift to the public."

This comment by the RCMP regarding recent enforcement action against medical marijauna dispensaries is revelling because it runs counter to the official narrative a enforcement due to a "commitment to public safety and community safety initiatives" as outline by Staff Sgt. Rob Vermeulen.

By framing the argument as a safety issue, the RCMP are allowing policy makers to save face from the RCMP's actions. It seems rather ridiculous that the police and courts will brand people criminal when they themselves are conspiring to do the very same thing.

The simple fact is that the government is planning to implement a medical and recreational marijauna regime that is corporate in nature while the RCMP simultaneously remove obstacles that would impede this goal.

Medicinal marijauna dispensaries, which don't fit in too Health Canada's regime, make it impossible for the policy makers to implement the heavily regulated corporate regime envisioned for this country. Consequently, the removal of self regulated dispensaries by law enforcement and municipal governments (under the guise of bylaw enforcement) is all but inevitable.

For small communities with limited number of dispensaries the RCMP will be used. These dispensaries are small in numbers and the public backlash will be minimal because of the commitment to public safety argument.

For large cities municipal governments will first enact bylaws which weaken the group as a whole. We see this in Vancouver already. Out of the 176 dispensaries in Vancouver only 11 met the zoning requirements. Rather then collectively boycott the process together the group was fragmented with the end result being a few winners and a lot of losers.

The elimination dispensaries in small towns and communities will force medical marijauna patients to subscribe to the regime which is currently in place by ordering weed online from Health Canada designated companies.
The RCMP is an always has been an agent of the Federal government. They are a hierarchical organization that strictly follows the chain of command. Policy decisions flow from the top down despite what Canada's new justice minister says. The excuse of "community safety initiatives" is a blatant lie or disingenuous at the least.

Make no mistake about it: recreational marijauna companies will be heavily regulated in Canada via a corporate regime with a few players as envisioned by the previous conservative government. The crackdown on illegal medical marijauna dispensaries is the first shot across the bow. If they can break Vancouver anything is possible.

I am disappointed that the new Liberal government has not offered a viable alternative during this transition period and is indifferent to the wants and needs of those who currently use or operate the dispensaries in their community.

Hmmmm....that's a dark view of things for sure, weedcafe. I'm naturally a bit cynical. Still, at this time in Canada I prefer to feel optimistic. How many chances do we get to feel optimistic about positive political change? I'll stay optimistic until given reason not to be. Without knowing a damn thing about any behind the scenes Liberal party motivations, I would like to believe that Justin Trudeau actually has his heart in the right place. I'm pretty sure he's smoked, and pretty sure he inhaled when he did. I'd like to think that common sense is at the root of his attitude, not greed. If so then maybe the future hinges on how much power he really has as prime minister.

IMHO I do not think that model will work up here in Canada. We have a strong history government control over cash rich industries. As far as leading the way, here is something i wrote yesterday...

After the replacement of our Conservative government with a new Liberal government which campaigned on legalization for recreational use one would think that the RCMP would have a wait and see attitude about illegal dispensaries until legislation is unveiled. Or at the very least make their intentions know in a clear and concise manner.

However, recents actions by the RCMP show that this is not the case. Dispensaries in Naniamo, Mission and Vernon have been threatened to cease operations or face enforcement action. Arrests have already been made in Nanaimo and Schelt.

I ask myself: why invest valuable police resources and clog an already congested court system to arrest and prosecute people who are doing something that the government itself has plans to become in involved in the not so distant future and why now?

Staff Sgt. Rob Vermeulen of the RCMP E- Division says that " Each detachment sets their own priorities based on local circumstances in their communities and public safety needs."

Cpl Jon Start of the Nanimo RCMP detachment highlighted the fact that...

" There is no legal mechanism in Canada which allows for medicinal marijuana dispensaries or compassion clubs to sell or gift to the public."

This comment by the RCMP regarding recent enforcement action against medical marijauna dispensaries is revelling because it runs counter to the official narrative a enforcement due to a "commitment to public safety and community safety initiatives" as outline by Staff Sgt. Rob Vermeulen.

By framing the argument as a safety issue, the RCMP are allowing policy makers to save face from the RCMP's actions. It seems rather ridiculous that the police and courts will brand people criminal when they themselves are conspiring to do the very same thing.

The simple fact is that the government is planning to implement a medical and recreational marijauna regime that is corporate in nature while the RCMP simultaneously remove obstacles that would impede this goal.

Medicinal marijauna dispensaries, which don't fit in too Health Canada's regime, make it impossible for the policy makers to implement the heavily regulated corporate regime envisioned for this country. Consequently, the removal of self regulated dispensaries by law enforcement and municipal governments (under the guise of bylaw enforcement) is all but inevitable.

For small communities with limited number of dispensaries the RCMP will be used. These dispensaries are small in numbers and the public backlash will be minimal because of the commitment to public safety argument.

For large cities municipal governments will first enact bylaws which weaken the group as a whole. We see this in Vancouver already. Out of the 176 dispensaries in Vancouver only 11 met the zoning requirements. Rather then collectively boycott the process together the group was fragmented with the end result being a few winners and a lot of losers.

The elimination dispensaries in small towns and communities will force medical marijauna patients to subscribe to the regime which is currently in place by ordering weed online from Health Canada designated companies.
The RCMP is an always has been an agent of the Federal government. They are a hierarchical organization that strictly follows the chain of command. Policy decisions flow from the top down despite what Canada's new justice minister says. The excuse of "community safety initiatives" is a blatant lie or disingenuous at the least.

Make no mistake about it: recreational marijauna companies will be heavily regulated in Canada via a corporate regime with a few players as envisioned by the previous conservative government. The crackdown on illegal medical marijauna dispensaries is the first shot across the bow. If they can break Vancouver anything is possible.

I am disappointed that the new Liberal government has not offered a viable alternative during this transition period and is indifferent to the wants and needs of those who currently use or operate the dispensaries in their community.

weedcafe, I can't disagree with your assessment. I wish I could but you may be spot on. I had read a news article re Nanaimo dispensary crackdown and what I understood was the municipal officials requested the RCMP to intervene. The municipality was concerned about a grandfather clause in future legislation legalizing marijuana. In yesterday's Speech From The Throne legalization, regulation and restriction were mentioned. One can read what they want in those words. I, like Weaselcracker am optimistic. And in fairness the Liberal Government have said they are studying the issue and they haven't seen a perfect model yet. Predicting their legislation at this point is conjecture.

However, for me there are two certainties: 1) restricting recreational cannabis from youth and 2) collecting tax revenues.

Interestingly, NDP leader Tom Mulcaire said in response to yesterday's Throne Speech that legalization could take place immediately and the details could be worked out later. He said that way nobody else would receive a criminal record. Trudeau has demonstrated this parliament will be different and all MPs will have a voice. So we just may be surprised with the outcome. Sunny Ways.:peace::Namaste:

I live in the great white north and im just not getting it. Why don't they just look to the states and how they are dealing with the issue and not try to reinvent something that really isn't broken. Or will this be a great reason to use up who knows how many millions of dollars on how to make money lol. Either way guys , you said you would do it and the world is watching to see if you will keep your promise.:goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom