Studies Are Showing Weed Could Treat ADHD Better And Safer Than Adderall

Jacob Redmond

It's no secret that an increasing number of states and cities are decriminalizing, and even legalizing, recreational marijuana use. And new medical studies on the effects of the drug are quickly following suit–some positive, and some not so positive.

The latest one comes from Germany, where scientists studied the effects of cannabis on 30 patients with ADHD who had limited success with conventional treatments for the disorder (Adderall and Ritalin). All 30 reported "improved concentration and sleep" and "reduced impulsivity" after using medicinal cannabis, according to the case report. Moreover, 22 out of the 30 patients decided to forgo their previously prescribed medications once the study was over and continue using medicinal marijuana to manage their symptoms.

Albeit with a very small sample group, this study provides some of the first clinical data on the potential of marijuana in treating ADHD, which, as we know, is characterized by difficulty concentrating, hyperactivity, impulsivity, and forgetfulness. Dr. David Bearman, a so-called figurehead of cannabis research, a.k.a. a "cannabinoidologist," explains the effects of marijuana in treating ADHD symptoms as having to do with the brain's dopamine levels.

"Cannabis appears to treat ADD and ADHD by increasing the availability of dopamine," Bearman explains*. "This then has the same effect but is a different mechanism of action than stimulants like Ritalin and dexedrine amphetamine, which act by binding to the dopamine and interfering with the metabolic breakdown of dopamine."

Translation: Weed (more specifically, the cannabinoids in weed) possibly corrects dopamine shortages in the brains of people with ADHD. As of now, two states in the United States–California and Colorado–allow the prescription of medical marijuana to treat ADHD, but if more studies prove out the results in this one, don't be surprised if more states follow suit.

15381.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Studies Are Showing Weed Could Treat ADHD Better And Safer Than Adderall
Author: Web Staff
Photo Credit: Anthony Bolante/Reuters

By chance did they mention which strain they were using in the tests in Germany? My son grew up on Ritalin and later on Adderall. He always hated being on them but we felt at the time we had no other option, he was uncontrollable when he was not medicated. At one point we had to drive to the next town over for day care because he had been kicked out of every single one in the town we live in plus 1/2 of the ones in the next town over.

Err, how old were the patients? I had ADD when I was a kid and I was one the first kids ever put on Ritalin. Teachers Loved the drug, but parents said I became a zombie and took away my creativity, so I can see why we need would be more attractive alternative, thousand the focus but it allows the user to remain creative. The thing I'd, hoe many people over the age of 18 could use it? I know for epilepsy, there are examples of children using cannabis oil, but I can't see a doctor ethically prescribing weed to a child, specially when doctors typically diagnosed children with ADD or ADHD at a pretty young age (seven for me) by comparison, ADD and ADHD are nothing compared to epilepsy.

Err, how old were the patients? I had ADD when I was a kid and I was one the first kids ever put on Ritalin. Teachers Loved the drug, but parents said I became a zombie and took away my creativity, so I can see why we need would be more attractive alternative, thousand the focus but it allows the user to remain creative. The thing I'd, hoe many people over the age of 18 could use it? I know for epilepsy, there are examples of children using cannabis oil, but I can't see a doctor ethically prescribing weed to a child, specially when doctors typically diagnosed children with ADD or ADHD at a pretty young age (seven for me) by comparison, ADD and ADHD are nothing compared to epilepsy.

It might be unethical to prescribe marijuana to a child if the risk of damage outweighed the prospect for improvement.

Since there is no defined risk of damage, to children as well as adults, there is no ethical dilemma.

'What about the kids?' arguments are based on opinions, not facts.

It might be unethical to prescribe marijuana to a child if the risk of damage outweighed the prospect for improvement.

Since there is no defined risk of damage, to children as well as adults, there is no ethical dilemma.

'What about the kids?' arguments are based on opinions, not facts.

You're right, Forget what I said, I still knee jerk at children and weed, damn propaganda.

You're right, Forget what I said, I still knee jerk at children and weed, damn propaganda.

Thanks for being gracious - this whole thing about kids and cannabis is a pet peeve of mine.

I would guess 1/4 of the WW2 generation in North America had cannabis salves, oils or pills when they were children, for everything from chicken pox to cuts and bruises and excess body fat, they were just too young to remember.

Damn propaganda is so insidious - I have repeated it too !

Back
Top Bottom