Jerry Brown Selects California's First Medical Marijuana Chief

Robert Celt

California has found its czar for medical marijuana.

On Thursday, Gov. Jerry Brown announced the appointment of Lori Ajax, currently the chief deputy director of the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, to the newly-created post overseeing the Bureau of Medical Marijuana Regulation in the Department of Consumer Affairs.

The bureau was created through legislation last year, nearly two decades after California voters legalized medical marijuana, to develop comprehensive rules for the industry, from licensing pot growers to crafting environmental protections.

Ajax, 50 of Fair Oaks, has worked in various positions at the ABC since 1995. After studying criminal justice at Sacramento State and working in private industry for 10 years, Ajax began her career at the agency as an investigator in the Santa Rosa district office and later managed licensing and enforcement operations for 20 counties in Northern California. She is a Republican.

The position, which commands a $150,636 salary, requires state Senate confirmation.

There is irony in Brown's appointment.

Medical marijuana advocates last year successfully pushed for the new bureau rather than placing regulatory authority in the hands of the ABC, which enforces liquor laws and oversees the licensing process. But on Thursday, pot advocates shied away from criticizing the appointment of a top ABC official to oversee pot rules.

"Our members want to see a functioning bureau as soon as possible," Hezekiah Allen, executive director of the California Growers Association, said in a statement. "We are encouraged by Lori's experience with state bureaucracy and familiarity with rural counties."

Lori-Ajax.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Jerry Brown Selects California's First Medical Marijuana Chief
Author: Alexei Koseff
Photo Credit: None found

As far as consumer-ability goes, this is definitely a huge step in the right direction. If this were to put stricter regulations on those growing for personal use, I can see why many would be upset about that.. But as far as those who will be producing and distributing cannabis products commercially, I think mandatory testing has been lacking for a while. Consumers should be able to trust that what they're putting into their bodies is safe.

I also like the idea of licenses and certifications existing. It gives people the chance to say that they have some 'formal' learning and a baseline level of education, for the most part.

I'm trying to look at the positive sides of this.

Anyone have reasons they don't like it?

California Pot Czar ... gets paid a $150,000 salary by the State of California, budgeted by the State of California House of Representatives, approved by California's Gov. Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown. But, can she deposit her check in a Federally chartered financial institution or bank with access to the Federal Reserve's discount window? Or, does the State of California have to pay her in cash? What if Bank of America or Wells Fargo Bank, for example, choose NOT to close HER account, but still refuse to open up or maintain checking and savings accounts for other #MedMj and/or #RecMj tainted personas and companies? Is not that discrimination of the highest order, and therefore, eligible for petition and redress at our nation's highest court?

California Pot Czar ... gets paid a $150,000 salary by the State of California, budgeted by the State of California House of Representatives, approved by California's Gov. Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown. But, can she deposit her check in a Federally chartered financial institution or bank with access to the Federal Reserve's discount window? Or, does the State of California have to pay her in cash? What if Bank of America or Wells Fargo Bank, for example, choose NOT to close HER account, but still refuse to open up or maintain checking and savings accounts for other #MedMj and/or #RecMj tainted personas and companies? Is not that discrimination of the highest order, and therefore, eligible for petition and redress at our nation's highest court?

I understand your point, but I dont think it works. From the Feds point of view the Pot Czar is probably the top Marijuana enforcement officer. DEA agents have full banking privileges, even though they buy and consume illegal drugs.

Maybe if Cory Booker, a Yale Law School grad (and, current US Senator from NJ) takes over for the now gone conservative whacko Scalia (RIP) the court will tilt 5 - 4 in our direction.

Maybe if Cory Booker, a Yale Law School grad (and, current US Senator from NJ) takes over for the now gone conservative whacko Scalia (RIP) the court will tilt 5 - 4 in our direction.

I was thinking of replacing former Monsanto lawyer Antonin Scalia with former Monsanto lawyer Hillary Clinton to give former Monsanto lawyer Clarence Thomas someone to follow.

Back
Top Bottom