Ohio Medical Marijuana Debate Has Lawmakers Wanting To Know More

Robert Celt

The first meeting of the Medical Marijuana Task Force was held at the Ohio Statehouse Thursday.

The task force made up of medical professionals, law enforcement and others held a public hearing to learn more about where Ohioans stand on the issue of legalizing pot for medicinal use.

Ohioans overwhelmingly rejected legalizing pot in November, but the vote prompted lawmakers to take a closer look at the medical side of pot.

10TV spoke to a Newark woman who says she smokes pot every day to help ease her pain.

The 58-year-old Newark woman, who 10TV is not identifying, says she has a multitude of conditions and pain is a part of her life.

"I was run over by a pick- up truck; my head went through the windshield of the car. I've had surgeries on my ankles both my knees my wrists," she said.

When pain strikes, she says she doesn't turn to bottles of pain medication like she used to. Instead, she turns to marijuana.

Her jar of pot could get her arrested, but she has no plans on throwing it out because she says pot helps.

"All I need to do is use a little bit of cannabis and I'm good to go, no it doesn't relieve pain 100 percent; as if you were taking an injection of a Dilaudid in an IV like I did two days ago when I was in agony," she said.

She says before she turned to weed, she was on 40 different medications. Now she relies on only a few.

"If it wasn't for pot I would have to take all these instead I'd feel sick I'd be sleeping on the couch I wouldn't get any work done," she said.

Of course not everyone in the medical community is convinced marijuana is all it's cracked up to be.

Others are opposed out of concern for workplace safety, its effects on the brain, and creating younger addicts.

Meanwhile this pot smoker hopes someday Ohio will legalize weed, so that others like her won't have to smoke in the shadows out of fear of arrest.

"I've been dying for that day for 16 years old so I wouldn't feel like I'm going to hell for it," she said.

Twenty-three states have made medicinal marijuana legal.

The Oho Task Force is scheduled to meet at five more times:

February 18 at 7 p.m.
February 25 at 7 p.m.
March 10 at 7 p.m.
March 17 at 3 p.m.
March 31 at 3 p.m.

In conjunction with the Senate Town Hall meeting held across the state, the goal is to one day share comments from the meetings and decide to either legalize marijuana through the legislative process or put it to the vote of the people.

Flowers22.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Ohio Medical Marijuana Debate Has Lawmakers Wanting To Know More
Author: Kevin Landers
Photo Credit: Wikimedia

I hear this person loud and clear. I am a victim of the draconian laws on the books and had my freedom stripped from me for a medical cannabis possession issue. I will NEVER forgive my corrupt government for taking my freedom away. Just leave me TFA and let me live my life.

Back
Top Bottom