Medical Marijuana Eases Staten Island Patient's Pain

Katelyn Baker

Staten Island, New York - Alana Muller, 27, who has suffered from Lyme disease and epilepsy for the last 12 years, was tired of taking so many medications to manage both conditions.

Two months ago, the New Springville resident tried a last resort: medical marijuana.

"I was always in pain. I couldn't focus. I was always tired. I also get migraines," she said. "Since starting medical marijuana I've been able to cut down my seizure medication. Instead of taking six pills a day, I only take three. It (medical marijuana) helps me focus, and alleviates my pain from neuropathy."

While Lyme disease is not one of the state-approved conditions for a medical marijuana prescription, epilepsy is on the list.

In addition to epilepsy, the state allows medical marijuana to be prescribed for cancer, Lou Gehrig's Disease, Parkinson's disease, seizure disorders, multiple sclerosis, cancer, HIV/AIDS, damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathies and Huntington's disease.

Muller is one of many New Yorkers who has benefited from the Compassionate Care Act, signed into law in July 2014, and put into effect Jan. 1, 2016. The new law allows New York doctors to join physicians from about two dozen other states in prescribing medical marijuana to patients.

While the state Health Department couldn't provide the number of Staten Island doctors certified to prescribe medical marijuana, there are already 600 physicians statewide who are registered in the program.

In just five months since the state's medical marijuana program was implemented, 5,066 patients have been certified for treatment, according to the Health Department.

BENEFITS OF MEDICAL MARIJUANA

"The beneficial aspect that has been shown in literature is that it stimulates appetite so it's for people with HIV or who are undergoing chemotherapy for cancer," said Dr. Azher Siddiqi, of the Dongan Hills-based Staten Island Medical Practice Associate, P.C, who is among the first Staten Island physicians to be state certified to dispense medical marijuana prescriptions.

"It also helps people with recurrent seizures by reducing the amount of seizures. It helps people with multiple sclerosis to reduce spasticity and relieve pain," he added.

After being certified by the state in March, Dr. Siddiqi has 25 patients to whom he's prescribed medical marijuana.

While you can obtain a prescription for medical marijuana from a Staten Island doctor, there are no pharmacies in the borough or in Brooklyn where you can obtain your medication, which ranges in price from $50 to $70 for a month's supply, he said. In addition, the medication isn't covered by insurance, said Dr. Siddiqi. He sends his patients to a dispensary in the Union Square section of Manhattan to fill their prescriptions.

Dr. Siddiqi notes that medical marijuana is not meant to replace traditional medications. It's just a supplement, he said.

The drug is available as a liquid and administered through a dropper. It will soon be made avaibale as a vapor in a canister and will be used in a similar way to an inhaler, said Dr. Siddiqi.

There will be no smokeable form of the drug.

Staten Island medical pot company won't grow, sell here

While it has a Staten Island address, it's the only connection medical marijuana company Bloomfield Industries has to the Island, as the plant will be grown in Queens and distributed throughout the state - the drug won't be grown or sold here.

Only doctors who take an online class, pass an exam about the treatment and register with the state Department of Health can prescribe the drug. And it can only be prescribed to patients who suffer from one of the approved ailments. Patients must be approved by the state and obtain an ID card.

HOW IT WORKS

It's not yet known how medical marijuana helps ease pain or symptoms associated with certain conditions, said Dr. Siddiqi.

The two main cannanoids extracted from the marijuana plant that have medical benefits are THC or tetrahydrocannabinol, and CBD or cannabidiol, said Dr. Siddiqi.

What is known is that THC, which is FDA-approved, increases appetite and reduces nausea; this can greatly help chemotherapy patients, he said.

THC has been known to decrease pain, inflammation, and muscle control problems. CBD may be helpful in reducing pain and inflammation, controlling epileptic seizures, and possibly can help treat mental illness and addictions, said Dr. Siddiqi.

Medical marijuana can be prescribed in different doses, with different levels of CBD and THC, that is often regulated based on the conditions being treated.

DO YOU GET HIGH?

Dr. Siddiqi is often asked by his patents if taking prescribed marijuana will make them high.

"If someone takes a lot of it, I'm sure they would have that feeling. It's the same thing if you take a lot of pain medicine," he said. "If you take the prescribed dosage, it shouldn't have that effect."

medmari.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Eases Staten Island Patient's Pain
Author: Tracey Porpora
Photo Credit: Tracey Porpora

Back
Top Bottom