Marijuana Industry Reacts To Trump Attorney General Appointment

Katelyn Baker

President-elect Donald Trump's decision to appoint U.S, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL) as attorney general has kicked up a storm in the cannabis industry.

Many fear Sessions, a vocal opponent of marijuana, will come down hard on the business, even if they complied with their state laws.

Jeff Sessions and the Marijuana Industry

Businesses Concerned Over Sessions' Appointment

While Sessions' appointment has brought a lot of worry for cannabis businesses, many are pinning their hopes on Trump.

"Despite Session's comments about enforcing federal laws, we expect the Trump Administration will make good on its commitment to states' rights," Nate Bradley, Executive Director of the California Cannabis Industry Association (CCIA) said in a release from Evan Nison Consulting, a pro-industry PR firm.

Bradley's belief in the Trump administration gains credence from the President-elect's earlier support for medical marijuana.

Many businesses are also expecting Trump to see the amount of money that's coming into the states through taxes.

"If Senator Sessions goes after the regulated cannabis industry, he will destroy tens of thousands of jobs, shut down hundreds of small businesses and take away millions of dollars from our schools. Hopefully the Trump Administration supports states' rights on cannabis legalization, despite Senator Sessions' personal views," commented Isaac Dietrich.

Sessions' Stand on Marijuana So Far

Sessions has been very open in his opposition to marijuana legalization.

He has spoken out against marijuana on several occasions. Last year at a Senate hearing, he said, "Good people don't smoke marijuana."

An earlier comment made in the 80s drew considerable criticism. Back then, Sessions was being considered for a federal district judge position. At that time, he had remarked he thought the Ku Klux Klan "were OK until I found out they smoked pot."

He apologized later.

Where do States Stand on Marijuana at the Moment

Medical marijuana use is legalized in 28 states at present. Recreational laws have been passed in eight states and 21 percent of the U.S. population now resides in a state where smoking weed is legal.

National prohibitions against interstate cannabis commerce and federal banking and drug laws have kept big companies at bay so far. This, in turn, has created opportunities for small businesses and startups. Many smaller firms have, in fact, established cultivators, processing, manufacturing and testing facilities.

shutterstock_544448989.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Industry Reacts To Trump Attorney General Appointment
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: Shutterstock

This is my fear, that all the work that has been done on behalf of legalizing this beautiful plant for medical as well as recreational use will rolled back and I don't think we would of done any better with HRC. SAD.:helpsmilie:

Cannabis activists and anyone who values civil rights should be up in arms over this nominee. Not only has Jeff Sessions actively worked to keep cannabis illegal, he has been at the forefront of actions against civil rights workers and minorities. The fact that he is a fan of the KKK (until he learned some of them use marijuana) should disallow him from any administration. He was such an abject racist throughout his life, that he was not allowed to serve as a district judge. This nominee is one of the worst from an administration which seems to be trying to keep the country divided.

This is his "reward" for being one of the VERY few initial politicians to back trump. Probably figured take a gamble, it paid off for him.. not working so well for Governor Christie.... hahahaha Christie was "holding out" for the attorney general job and declined several other cabinet jobs in hopes to get the AG job.

NJ has recently voted in Medical MJ and there are a few (very few) dispensaries, due likely to the fact that Christie also does not support cannabis as anything but recreation.

So back to Sessions. Yeah he's a racist.... has anyone actually LISTENED to any of his speeches. Wow talk about going back in time... sheesh I thought it was the 1960s before voters rights the last one I listened to.... incredible.

I think this is just one step Trump is making to show the world he just bit off way more than he can chew.

Peter principal... promote yourself above your level of competency and keep that job.

On Jeff Sessions quoted from Wiki:

"Sessions had referred to the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) as "un-American" and "Communist-inspired" (Sessions said he was referring to their support of the Sandinistas[22]) and that they did more harm than good by trying to force civil rights "down the throats of people."

He later backtracked that statement about NAACP and ACLU as being communist, by later retracting those statements and his excuse was "talking before thinking" .... really?? It was excepted..... that excuse only works for ..... wait; I thought it didn't work.

I call that simply, stupidity and racism.

Just what the USA needs for a top cop, uneducated racist.... wow! That's not going to go well... we may have more to worry about than just cannabis industry. Cannabis has been and will continue to be around and remain the top cash crop. Some racist ass hat isn't going to change that.

What I worry about is that guy blaming the inter city violence on cannabis and starting a civil war.

Remember the 80s.. it was WAY easier to get a bag of crack cocaine than a bag of weed, thanks to the DEA and the CIA (and Nixon). Crack down on Cannabis imports and offer crack as the replacement.. thank you CIA. Oh and lets not forget Cocaine is a schedule II drug, so not as bad for us, right? Oppps....

DEA budget for 2015 $2.98 BILLION tax dollars...

Compared to $1.7 BILLION tax dollars from 2003 When Bush was president.

Jeff Sessions is the boss of the DEA.... so not only does he have the budget they also have the staff STILL in place from the "war on drugs".

Great ideas already implemented and proven track record:

1) Create black market with laws, hire more police to enforce those laws, in turn need more lawyers and judges to put the people in jail... need more jails.

2) Remove prohibition laws, need less police, need less lawyers, need less judges, need less government agencies (DEA), need less jails and resulting in a lot less violence.

Both of the above have been implemented. We know which of the 2 works best. It's been proven that both work. One clearly stands out as the better choice.

Which option do we think will be moved forward in the next 4 years??

Problem is many many middle class elderly people in our society (and voting majority) have been brain washed to think cannabis is bad. Many of which were peace loving non-violent pot smoking people that apposed the war in Vietnam and now somehow have "grown up" and their views have changed 180 degrees.

Around and around it goes.... when's the madness going to stop?

Not with Sessions...

Meanwhile the murder rate in Chicago (city) was 762 murders in 2015

Compare that to the maximum US soldiers & civilians killed in Afghanistan (country at war) 560 total killed in 2011.

My question is: Where is the REAL war??

Is Jeff Sessions the right guy for the job of top cop in the USA?

Show me one person of color that thinks it was a good choice.

Create distrust.. to start your new presidency.... hmmm. Not a great choice, just sayin.. :yikes:

I'm not worried, I've survived this long so I don't think anything is going to change how I do things. Wide open or back to the trenches? PS not all of us old people have changed our stance on the cannabis issue, (pushin 70)

I'm not worried, I've survived this long so I don't think anything is going to change how I do things. Wide open or back to the trenches? PS not all of us old people have changed our stance on the cannabis issue, (pushin 70)

Hopefully my post was not interpreted as "all" elderly middle class... I simply stated that "many" middle class older folks have changed the stance on cannabis. Maybe it's just me, but my elder siblings whom both told me to "grow up" RE:cannabis, just happened to be the first 2 people I smoked pot with in 1968. I was 10 years old... which left a very strong imprint on my psyche. Thanks to God.

It's all about fear, thats how we got the war on drugs...stop pot imports, CIA replaces with Crack - now public "fears" drugs. The government has been at this game a very very long time. I and many others think it's time to end prohibition.

Embrace love and kindness, spread it from side to side... it all comes back. Something that oftentimes sadly gets lost in the politic.

People are freaking out that a insane idiot is making insane and idiotic appointments? Hmm, I'd say they should have voted but oh wait, the electoral college proved that's a joke... as I've been saying, start stocking up on seeds boys and girls, we're in for a ride for the next four years... (not that Clinton would have been better but I get the feeling THAT line will be worn out in minty days).

People are freaking out that a insane idiot is making insane and idiotic appointments? Hmm, I'd say they should have voted but oh wait, the electoral college proved that's a joke... as I've been saying, start stocking up on seeds boys and girls, we're in for a ride for the next four years... (not that Clinton would have been better but I get the feeling THAT line will be worn out in minty days).
I already have a decent stash and I'm getting more to add to my stash

The only thing to fear is bad weed

Back
Top Bottom