Cancer Survivor Says He Supports WI Lawmakers Push For Medical Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Green Bay, Wis.

Two Wisconsin lawmakers are working on a new proposal that would legalize medical marijuana in the state, and one cancer survivor told Local 5 how it helped him when he was going through treatment.

Mark Kelderman of Brownsville survived stage three throat and neck cancer after undergoing radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery in 2011.

Kelderman says he was given steroids while going through treatment, but he couldn't stomach much food.

His doctor prescribed him Marinol, the only drug that has THC that is FDA-approved, and Kelderman said he gained his appetite back.

"When the steroids weren't successful and I lost 100 pounds, out of desperation I demanded medical marijuana, I was given a prescription and I subsequently gained weight and was successful in my fight with cancer," he said.

Now cancer-free, Kelderman says he still needs marijuana for the pain in his hands and feet from chemotherapy.

"I'm still not allowed to get medical marijuana here in the state, so I either have to do it illegally or go to a state that has some provision for medical marijuana," he said.

State Senator Jon Erpenbach and State Representative Chris Taylor will introduce their proposal later this month.

Senator Erpenbach said the potential ailments medical marijuana could help go beyond just cancer.

"Post-traumatic stress syndrome is one. glaucoma is another, cancer is one that we've talked about, chronic pain, anxiety, it helps," Erpenbach said.

Other lawmakers are on the fence on how far it should go.

"You know if it's taking the derivative of the plant that doesn't have the THC, the intoxicating portion, I'm all for it," State Representative Jim Steinke explained. "However, I have some concerns about legalizing the smokeable portion of a plant."

Last year, Governor Scott Walker signed a bill into law that allows patients access to CBD hemp oil with a doctor's prescription.

However, no patients have been able to benefit from the law because it is illegal for CBD oil to cross state lines, so it cannot enter Wisconsin.

Steinke said he believes the current legislative session will be able to fix the barrier that prevents patients from accessing the oil.

Capture333.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Cancer Survivor Says He Supports WI Lawmakers Push For Medical Marijuana
Author: Alexandra Burnley
Photo Credit: WFRV-TV Local 5

Back
Top Bottom