Don't Expect Nationwide Marijuana Legalization Under The Trump Administration

Katelyn Baker

With the inauguration of Donald Trump on January 20, the United States got a new president. And with that new president comes a long list of new appointees across various federal agencies and departments. While President Trump's cabinet selection process has played out publicly, a variety of folks from former president Barack Obama's administration have quietly stayed on.

One of the most prominent people that's staying on is the head of the Drug Enforcement Agency, Chuck Rosenberg, who was appointed by former attorney general Loretta Lynch in May 2015.

And that's particularly notable, as the DEA is responsible for enforcing drug policy in the United States. Most importantly for most Americans, Rosenberg is in charge of enforcing marijuana illegality in the US – an area where, traditionally, the federal government and individual US states have butted heads.

For instance, California legalized medical marijuana use in 1996; despite legality in California, the drug remained illegal on a federal level, and the US government – through the DEA – policed it as such. California medical dispensaries were raided by the federal government repeatedly, regardless of its legality in the eyes of the State of California.

That relationship dramatically changed in 2013 due to a document known as "The Cole Memo" (written by deputy attorney general James Cole). The document re-focused federal resources away from prosecuting individuals who were operating legally within their own states, and instead focused on containment and prevention.

In so many words, it directed federal agencies to stop clashing with state-level marijuana policy.

And DEA head Chuck Rosenberg has upheld that memo.

"He didn't have too much of a problem following the administration's directives on that issue," Marijuana Policy Project senior communications manager Morgan Fox told Business Insider. "And it says a lot for continuity – things will remain relatively the same at the DEA."

Of course, this is all up for change. If Trump's attorney general appointee, Senator Jeff Sessions, is appointed, he could direct the DEA to take a more hardline stance. And if President Trump himself decides to take a more hardline stance, that would also impact how the DEA operates when it comes to federal marijuana policy. To be clear, neither Sessions nor Trump have indicated as much.

As Fox told Business Insider, "The DEA head acts as the direction of the attorney general who acts at the direction of the president." That said, both President Trump and Senator Sessions have indicated intentions to keep the status quo: allowing states to legislate and police their own drug laws.

In 2016, alongside Trump winning the presidency, several states enacted laws either outright legalizing recreational marijuana use, cultivation, and distribution/sales or legalized medical use. For the foreseeable future, it looks like the US government will continue to defer to individual states in terms of marijuana policy.

DCMJ.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Don't Expect Nationwide Marijuana Legalization Under The Trump Administration
Author: Ben Gilbert
Photo Credit: DCMJ

I am not american but i agree each state should be the ones allowed to make the state laws on their own without federal intervention.

Any illegal production and sales should be federally enforced.

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

How about we judge Trump by what he does in the next 4 years instead of being manipulated by the fearmongering media propaganda. I think by 2020 all you haters will be singing a different tune. Trump will do more for ALL the people of this country then the last 4 presidents combined. Stop watching CNN and open your eyes. Give the man a chance. I you want actual fact based news, you can find the truth right here Organizer Calls Berkeley Riot 'Stunningly Successful,' Warns Repeat if MILO Returns - Breitbart

Trump and Pence and Sessions are going to go after the legal states. We are all screwed.:helpsmilie:

WJ
:ciao:
I really do not see the trump people take away leagliaztion of MJ as if they do there will be an uproar like no other in the USA.

Maybe thats what he wants and then calls Martial Law and have troops attack amwricans and also take out all non americans.. ?

I really do not see the trump people take away leagliaztion of MJ as if they do there will be an uproar like no other in the USA.

Maybe thats what he wants and then calls Martial Law and have troops attack amwricans and also take out all non americans.. ?

Do you mean like the Women's March in DC the day after the US was given to T-Rump and his wacko's? Uproar? You're dreaming, more than I am. These guys are Federalists. They believe the government is for those that can buy it. Might want to check their Wikipedia page. It is in their tenets and they still believe in that.

WJ

Wow! It's really sad to see how ignorant the average Democrat voter really is. No wonder we are ranked 27th in the world in education. We have a public school system that is more interested in creating good little Democrat voters then teaching people critical thinking skills and logic. Heres a tip, STOP listening to the mainstream media spin and actually form your own opinions. Trump supporters are NOT racist, or woman hating, or anti-immigration. These are the same old tactics the Left always uses to blind you of the truth.
Watters' World: NYC student walkout edition | On Air Videos | Fox News

Do you mean like the Women's March in DC the day after the US was given to T-Rump and his wacko's? Uproar? You're dreaming, more than I am. These guys are Federalists. They believe the government is for those that can buy it. Might want to check their Wikipedia page. It is in their tenets and they still believe in that.

WJ

You mean the womens march filled with over 60 George Soros funded .orgs.?

Its people like you that allow these polliticians to get away with lie after lie. Every 4 years its the same crap and every 4 years you fall for it. The Trump administraion is the first since Reagan that might actually do something good for the American people. But you and others in the Democrat base are completely obsessed by this fake racism and anti-immigrant BS. Did you hear the media in an uproar when Obama banned visas from refugees in Iraq in 2011? No, but when Trump does the same thing its labeled as banning Muslims even though 90% of Muslims are not effected at all.

Trump believes in medical marijuana and making money. He's going to leave it up to each particular state. That's from his mouth in an interview.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Unbelievable... 420 Magazine taken over by trolls. All Trumpites I know, and I know very many, are all racist, and woman hating, and anti-immigration.

WJ
He hang on there buddy ol pal.

I am not racist nor am i a woman hater.

I am Canadian and i will tell you this, if you not like where ya live... move simple as that... move to Canada make a huge statement if millions moved from USA to Canada becausw of Trump or Clintons lies.

They are all liars its part of politics.

Obama even said that if an asteriod was gonna hit the earth soon he would lie and not tell the public, why cause it would cause panic and everyine running to norad or other places that Government Officials will be hiding and surviving.

They careless about the public and the publics survival.

The divisiveness, especially on a forum where the love of growing marijuana unites us all is just asinine.

Democrat? Republican? Support whom you choose.

The article was about not expecting marijuana to be legalized under the new administration. That in my mind is a reasonable assumption made by the author of the article, but we all need to keeping an open mind and stay focused on our goal of legalization and education.

Pass the bong and keep the rhetoric to yourselves. Right Mr Moderator, Sir?

You mean the womens march filled with over 60 George Soros funded .orgs.?

Its people like you that allow these polliticians to get away with lie after lie. Every 4 years its the same crap and every 4 years you fall for it. The Trump administraion is the first since Reagan that might actually do something good for the American people. But you and others in the Democrat base are completely obsessed by this fake racism and anti-immigrant BS. Did you hear the media in an uproar when Obama banned visas from refugees in Iraq in 2011? No, but when Trump does the same thing its labeled as banning Muslims even though 90% of Muslims are not effected at all.

People like me? Just so you know, I have been a registered republican since 1970. You have labeled me, as if you know me, after reading only a couple sentences I wrote. When I talked about people I knew personally that were Trumpites, I didn't mean all republicans. Most have been physical to their wives and most have lost their second amendment right to own a gun. They are very racist and hate anyone not white. Those are people I know personally.

It is just my opinion that after hearing Trump, Pence and Sessions talk about drugs (including Cannabis in the U.S.) we are going to see the AG go after states that allow Cannabis to be sold and used. As I said, Sessions called for pot dealers to be executed when he was Attorney General of Alabama. Then when asked about it last year, he lied about it. Pence wanted to put pot smokers in prison for life. His state has harsh penalties for possession, he was a congressman and the governor of Indianna. He was extremely anti-pot when he was in Congress. I heard trump say he was going to rid the U.S. of drugs a couple days ago. That is where I got my opinion. :thedoubletake:

One thing for sure, we will see in four years. By the way, George Soros has spent millions trying to legalize Cannabis for years through MPP and other Cannabis oriented organizations. He funds many organizations including republican ones. FOX won't tell you that.

WJ

Back
Top Bottom