Jamaica: St Kitts Gov't Considering Committee To Examine Use Of Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Basseterre, St Kitts – The St Kitts/Nevis government says it is considering appointing a broad-based to examine the issues involved in the use of marijuana.

Prime Minister Dr Timothy Harris says his administration is ready for open dialogue with the relevant stakeholders on the issue of the decriminalization of marijuana, which he said was a matter of national interest.

"We have a submission going to the Cabinet hopefully next week where we are attempting to set up that broad based committee that would look at all of the issues involved in the use of marijuana and all other matters in relation to it," Harris said on a radio programme in St Kitts.

He told listeners that there will be representation from the Rastafarian community, from health, from law enforcement, the schools "and other relevant parties of course will have input as the commission, if you will, goes about doing its work and hearing from the people".

There have been calls from members of the public, particularly from the Rastafarian community, to legalize marijuana, but Harris said a national discussion is important to the overall educational process on the issue.

"People can look objectively at the pros and the cons in relation to this matter and determine where the country could find a consensus with regard to all the knowledge that we must know.

"Knowledge with respect to its implications on our health; knowledge in relation to impact upon schooling and the delivery of education; knowledge in terms of all the consequences — social, economic and religious — which the Rastafarian brother raised," Harris said, noting that his government will look objectively at the findings of the commission's report following the consultative process.

In the meantime, Harris reaffirmed that the country will uphold the laws that are now on the books and called on citizens and residents to abide by the laws of the land.

The formal regional conversation around marijuana in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) will move to another level when the first national consultation on the issue is held on Wednesday, 15 June in St Vincent and the Grenadines.

Last year, the Guyana-based Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat announced that the Regional Commission on Marijuana had convened a series of consultations with a cross section of stakeholders including youth, faith based organizations and non-governmental organizations and special interests groups.

CARICOM leaders at the annual summit in 2014 had mandated the Secretary General of CARICOM to establish the Marijuana Commission which would, inter alia, "examine the social, economic, health and legal issues surrounding the various aspects of Marijuana use in the Caribbean and its implications, and make recommendations to the Conference".

The Commission, headed by Professor Rose-Marie-Bell Antoine, Dean of the Faculty of Law, University of the West Indies, St Augustine Campus, is composed of practitioners with expert knowledge in a variety of disciplines including medicine and allied health, health research, law enforcement, ethics, education, anthropology, sociology, and culture.

1280px-Cannabis_sativa_plant_6_.JPG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: St Kitts Gov't Considering Committee To Examine Use Of Marijuana
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: None Found

I'd love to see fields of cannabis growing on St. KItts. I've been there 2-3 times and loved the island. It was just starting to be popularized with new development which is taking away from the laid back atmosphere. Plenty of land for fields of green rather than tons of concrete. Out of the islands I visited, if I could, St. Kitts would be my second home.......if it hasn't changed too much since the last time I was there!

Back
Top Bottom