Marijuana V. Opioid Addiction - An Easy Choice

Katelyn Baker

Columbia, SC - Many patients who would benefit from medical marijuana have no viable treatment for their pain and suffering other than highly addictive, cost-prohibitive pharmaceuticals such as opioids. Treating chronic pain and illness with opioids often results in a devastating, family-wrecking, life-ending addiction.

This is a tragedy playing out daily across our state, and it is one that can be, and should be, avoided.

For six and a half years I served as the chief federal law enforcement officer for South Carolina. I have seen firsthand the devastating effect the opioid epidemic has had on our citizens, and I can report that we will never incarcerate our way out of this public health crisis.

The efficacy and cost-effectiveness of medical marijuana for the treatment of a wide array of illnesses has been recognized and endorsed by the National Academy of Sciences. And The American Journal of Public Health has found that opioid use and deaths associated with opioid abuse dropped dramatically in states that legalized access to medical marijuana. Because of the opioid epidemic facing our country, it is important to note that medical marijuana has a history of zero fatalities due to overdose.

Until Feb. 23, the only legitimate issue of concern to S.C. legislators in deciding whether to pass a medical marijuana bill was the lingering uncertainty regarding the Trump administration's position on medical marijuana. That's when President Donald Trump's press secretary Sean Spicer said the president sees "a big difference between use of marijuana for medical purposes and for recreational purposes." The administration indicated that, while it plans to increase enforcement of laws prohibiting recreational use of marijuana, it will allow states to legalize medical marijuana without federal government interference.

The bills pending in the Legislature would make medical marijuana available to patients facing specific diagnoses, and access to this medication would be limited by law to patients who have a prescription from a licensed physician.

The Academy of Sciences has documented something that patients have known for a long time: Medical marijuana helps ease the suffering and pain of those with illnesses, and it does so without the highly addictive pitfalls of opioids. Now we have learned that the last rational objection to legalizing medical marijuana has been cleared.

Soldiers who have served our country and returned with post-traumatic stress disorder and adults and children who, through no fault of their own, are suffering with pain and illness deserve the right to treatment prescribed by their physician that is a non-addictive, cost-effective medicine.

With the Trump administration's endorsement of medical marijuana, only irrational fear with no data or facts to back it up stands between patients and the treatment they need in South Carolina.

It is time for democracy to work. The State reported in October that 78 percent of South Carolinians supported medical marijuana. That means 78 percent of South Carolinians – Republicans, independents and Democrats – believe that unfounded fears should not stand in the way of effective treatment in the form of medical marijuana.

We must demand that the officials we have elected to represent us and our values approve medical-marijuana legislation that reflects a fact-based understanding of this effective treatment and compassion for those in need. We must encourage our legislators to be brave, to have faith in the facts and to not succumb to irrational, non-fact-based fear.

Call your legislators today and encourage them to vote for the medical marijuana bill pending in the Legislature.

t1.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana V. Opioid Addiction - An Easy Choice
Author: Bill Nettles
Photo Credit: Tracy Glantz

It's not just legalization. I live with chronic pain every day. I've been a medical marijuana patient now in MA for a little over a year, and collect SSI. The cost of being a medical marijuana patient vs. being on opioids is also something to consider. Although my preferred option is medical marijuana it's not always cost effective. And I think I would speak for a # of individuals but maybe not.

Cannabis and opioids both have their place in treating pain. And they are both easy to grow yourself. And both still illegal here...
Opioids have a bad rap, well- cannabis does too. But let's not forget that, in their real form, they're both amazing natural medicines.

It's not just legalization. I live with chronic pain every day. I've been a medical marijuana patient now in MA for a little over a year, and collect SSI. The cost of being a medical marijuana patient vs. being on opioids is also something to consider. Although my preferred option is medical marijuana it's not always cost effective. And I think I would speak for a # of individuals but maybe not.

Yes, and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm a 4 year pancreatic cancer survivor (Whipple surgery/6 mos chemo/2 mos radiation) in addition to the side effects of this treatment I fractured 3 veterbra in my cervical spine and dislocated a shoulder mountain biking about 2 years prior to cancer diagnosis. Pain, nausea and lack of appetite are a normal day. Registered in NJ's MMP I've been using different strains to manage these issues quite effectively. I do take Tramadol to be able to play golf and it's easy to understand why one could become addicted to opioids. MM is an excellent alternative to manage pain, not eliminate it while allowing me to be very active and functional. Unfortunately it's not covered by insurance, my Tramadol is go figure Big Pharma! It is more expensive but quality and strain information is important while trying to find what works best for one's health challenges.

I have to agree with Weasel. I grew my own poppies etc and was so mild compared to pharmaceuticals and what it was chalked up to be. Kinda like cannabis being demonised in the 20's 30's kinda the perspective we have on opium is the same because we have no proper information or point of reference in our society where misinformation about drugs is rampant. Surprising really thought I would get rocked.

Back
Top Bottom