R.I. Leaders Say They Have Votes To Legalize Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Providence, R.I. - The two state lawmakers who have long led the charge to legalize marijuana in Rhode Island on Tuesday said they have clear majority support in both chambers to pass their bills -- if House and Senate leadership allow the legislation a vote.

"If we do not act, our neighbor to the north will be thrilled," Rep. Scott Slater said, referring to Massachusetts where marijuana became legal earlier this year.

Slater and Sen. Joshua Miller also took aim at Attorney General Peter F. Kilmartin, who has embarked on an aggressive municipal-level anti-legalization campaign, saying that the state's top prosecutor is spreading misinformation.

"I warned him that the data they're using in inaccurate," Miller, a Cranston Democrat, said during a pro-legalization press conference organized by Regulate Rhode Island. "I feel that his presentations to cities and towns [have] veered off from being totally accurate on what the legislation intends to do."

Kilmartin spokeswoman Amy Kempe disputed Miller's statements saying the data is "properly cited from legitimate and widely regard expert sources."

"It is an inconvenient truth for 'big marijuana' that the legislation they are proposing would require cities and towns to opt out of the recreational market through a referendum, a costly and time consuming process for communities," Kempe said.

As for legislative support, Miller also said last year that there was majority support in the House and Senate to legalize marijuana, but the legislation never saw a vote. (Marijuana legalization bills have been introduced in Rhode Island every year since 2011. None have made it out of committee.)

Miller said support has grown since last year. The House bill is sponsored by 25 of 75 representatives. The Senate bill is sponsored by 15 of 38 senators. Others, Miller said, don't want to publicly sponsor the bill, but have pledged their support privately.

"We have this group of people that feel its not necessarily what their focus is, but they feel that if it came to a floor vote, they would support it. Therefore they won't sign it," Miller said. "That group of people has expanded every year."

Capture427.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: R.I. Leaders Say They Have Votes To Legalize Marijuana
Author: Jennifer Bogdan
Photo Credit: Jennifer Bogdan

Back
Top Bottom