AK: Planning Commission Gives Go-Ahead To Two New Marijuana Shops And Cultivator

Katelyn Baker

PALMER – The Mat-Su Borough Planning Commission approved two conditional use permits for recreational marijuana shops and another for a marijuana cultivator during Monday night's meeting.

Bad Gramm3r, located at 1150 N. Helen Lane, in the Williwaw subdivision off of Bogard Road, as well as Green Degree, located at 2301 S. Knik-Goose Bay Road, Suite 1B, won their right to open up shop as early as the middle of next month, while cultivator Kyle Lutz got permission to start High Tide Farms growing facility at 6875 W. Snuffy's Road.

It was the culmination of a long, arduous and oftentimes process that for both Bad Gramm3r proprietor Peter Zell and Green Degree's Kerby Corman, that for Zell was a struggle with some strongly objecting neighbors all the way to Monday night's finish.

"You never know," Zell said of his confidence going into the vote. "We thought we had it legally, and that they would approve us, but you never know what's going to happen."

Dozens of Williwaw subdivision residents took to the podium during public comment, expressing their concerns over the burden a successful cannabis store would place on a sub-par Helen Lane and how increased traffic and the sale of a previously illegal drug could harm their children in a neighborhood striving to gentrify.

"Trailers are being replaced with houses and meth houses have been shut down," said subdivision resident Franklin Conaway. "Our neighborhood has had a severe problem with drugs and we are a vulnerable area, but we are changing."

Most residents speaking in opposition said they had no problem personally with marijuana, they just didn't want it in their neighborhood, which, they said, lacks sidewalks, parks and places for children to play safely.

Lacey Harris, speaking in favor of Bad Gramm3r, pointed out that the required cameras at the shop would likely make the area safer, and John Klapperich noted that the Zell had been a well-respected businessman in the area for years, and that the borough had already done its research on the location and found '84 conclusions of law for approval (of the CUP), and 9 conclusions against.'

In the end, that finding of fact was all that mattered. As commission member Thomas Healy pointed out just before the vote, the neighborhood's lack of parks and similar amenities can't be factors in the decision whether to grant a business license.

"We really can't address those issues," he said. "We have to concentrate on the criteria for permits and the borough found that they met all requirements."

Zell pointed out in his testimony that the objecting group only represented a small percentage of the overall neighborhood. As to why he chose to open shop in this checkerboard area where borough land nears the city of Wasilla, where commercial marijuana shops are not allowed, Zell said the number of options are not that great, despite the seeming wealth of open space in the Valley.

"It's really limited as to where you can put your cannabis shop," Zell said. "I had to find someone willing to sell to me. I couldn't go through the bank, and besides, the property owner had to OK it. I'd been shopping for a while and there just isn't much out there. I liked the spot and it met all of our criteria."

Corman's path to a yes vote was far less contentious. Representatives from a neighboring church expressed that they objected to the purpose of the business on religious principles, but that they'd had positive discussions with Corman about parking and traffic and would be able to get along.

It was nearly 10 p.m. when Corman got his thumbs-up from the panel, meaning that in just a few weeks, the Mat-Su Valley will have at least four distribution outlets, with Denali 420 in Houston, the Green Jar just off the Parks Hwy. and Fairview Loop, and now Green Degree and Bad Gramm3r.

Many of those proprietors stuck around to the end in solidarity, but as 10 p.m. struck, a few mentioned, 'now we're an industry.' And not just that, but an industry of competitors.

Corman was confident that goodwill and cooperation would continue, even as they all compete for the same customers.

"We worked together on the Oct. 4 (borough-wide prohibition) vote and we helped each other and wanted to put a good name out there," Corman said. "We want to represent the industry as a whole... it's important we give back to the community."

He said he's been an entrepreneur since the age of 11, and as he watched his mother die from cancer in 2009, he found his passion for marijuana as a healing agent.

"I know for a fact it would have helped my mom. It was a last resort for her when it should have been the first option... I'm really an advocate for the healing potential of cannabinoids," Corman said. "I've always dreamed of owning my own business. You'll never be rich working for somebody else, I was always taught, and if your dreams don't scare you, you need bigger dreams."

Corman has been operating a 500-square foot cultivation facility adjacent to the store front for the last three months. He said he's scheduled for his inspection with the state board on April 5, and if all goes well, he'll start selling product, appropriately, on 4/20.

58d17b3f89f62_image.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Mat-Su Planning Commission Gives Go-Ahead To Two New Marijuana Shops And Cultivator
Author: Matt Hickman
Photo Credit: Matt Hickman

Back
Top Bottom