What Would A Federal Marijuana Crackdown Look Like?

Katelyn Baker

Ever since the 2016 election, marijuana legalization supporters have been wondering if President Trump will crack down on state-approved recreational and/or medical marijuana programs. The Heritage Foundation believes it knows the answer.

According to the conservative think tank, there are actions the government can take without needing to pass any new legislation or expend much political capital, such as reaffirming the federal government's position as supporting marijuana's illegality under the Controlled Substances Act (CSA) and reasserting support for the international treaties that require countries to enforce marijuana prohibition. These actions would make headlines, send a chill across the industry (particularly in states that have yet to formally launch their legal marijuana markets) and make clear the direction the White House has decided to go when dealing with legal marijuana businesses.

The Washington, D.C.-based group calls for rescinding the Obama Administration's Cole memo, which gives leeway to the states to implement legalization and replace it with a memo that makes it clear that the DOJ "fully expects states to not permit commercialized marijuana production and sale." With this memo in place, the DOJ could then select a number of marijuana businesses for prosecution of a violation of state and/or federal law, which would create "a real threat of prosecution."

The right-wing policy shop recommends overturning previous guidance from the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, which opened the door to very limited banking for a handful of businesses in the marijuana industry. This would scare off the already minuscule number of financial institutions working, or considering working, with marijuana-related businesses. Using the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, the government could target investors.

With all of this in mind, the only option we truly have to ensure our victories are upheld and that we move forward with nationwide legalization is to change federal law. Amendments such as Rohrabacher-Blumenauer stem the bleeding a bit, but require a new political fight every year. Congress needs to pass The Respect State Marijuana Laws Act, which would prevent the federal government from interfering in state-approved adult use or medical programs. Even better, Congress should remove marijuana from the CSA entirely.

If you want to see the cannabis revolution continue, call your members of Congress today and tell them to support federal marijuana law reform. For more information on pending legislation and to easily email your elected officials, visit norml.org/act.

GageSkidmore3.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: What Would A Federal Marijuana Crackdown Look Like?
Author: Erik Altieri
Photo Credit: Gage Skidmore

CIVIL UNREST--us VETS would make a stand never seen before in the u.s.,,the cannabis industry now has joined the club "TO BIG TO FAIL-TO BIG TO JAIL--the constitution gives us the right to defend ourselves against the enemies within,,Jeff Sessions is an enemy within-peace

If this does happen it will hit the industries for sure, question is Mr. president are you willing to give up all the potential revenue from Hemp farming and manufacturing, schedule 1 is schedule 1. For all concerned Jeff Sessions is a machine, now that he's in the drivers seat, I think he's going to try to break the back of the cannabis industry, while putting for profit prison's back on top, and still I rise.

This is not a big deal for me, seeing as I live in Canada. When are you Yankees going to get off your butts and start assassinating some of these assholes?

When I first saw this picture my immediate thought was, I wonder how many martini's has this guy just belted down and how many will he have when he gets home? I could very well be off base with this thought but that is was my first impression!

The only way to get anyone anything is to seed plants grow your own and teach your children to do likewise, and I mean all foods not just weed.

Correct me if I'm right.

Although this may not be the best forum for this… I strongly encourage anyone living in states that haven’t passed legalized marijuana lawsyet to vote YES for Medical marijuana and NO on Recreational marijuana.

I live in Washington and witnessed the horrors of switching from medical to recreational.

It was exceptionally easy to get a doctors’ recommendation with very liberal requirements to become a “Care Giver”, I.E. Grower.

You paid about $100 to the doctor(s) and then had access to top shelf, tax free marijuana & marijuana based products; which were grown and processed by individuals who cared about what they were actually doing and the people who used their products.

Then the voters, foolishly, passed 502.

502 taxes the be-jesus out of the producers, processors, retailers and customers; allows for D.U.I. testing for marijuana, and pretty much eliminated anyone without a small fortune to invest from become part of the ‘system’ providing marijuana to patients.

We now have a system of big-money investors producing large scale, cheaply produced and processed 'average to poor' quality products and high prices. I won’t even go into the cheating that goes on with quality testing and chemicals used by the non-smoking owners of the 502’s.

So to all that I say for the Rec users grow your own really isn't,t that hard of a job.But I do agree that commercial growers don,t give a hoot at all just the cash

I think everyone needs to take a wait and see stance. I always believed Cannabis would never be legal because people would throw some seeds in there back yard and the government would never get their hands on it. So people should be somewhat wary of the way it was made legal in these states. Certain "Fatcats" and the state governments are getting very rich off of a weed! I have a great question....How is it legal in these states but illegal to plant a fucking seed in your back yard?!! Money talks and fertilizer walks folks! The best thing Sessions and Trump could do would be to make it legal for every household to grow 4-6 plants. See what the states and the rich dispensary owners think of that. That's D.C.'s law. You can't buy it or sell it. But you can grow your own. And that's what we should be fighting for folks! Trump's election already threw a wrench into the political system. Doing this would really throw a curve. Cannabis smokers would be happy and non-growers can still go to the dispensary to get their weed. It's a win/win for the little guy. Although this would be the right thing to do, I just don't see it happening.

Federal crackdown?

With what? Army? FBI?
There are thousands of laws that are in the books that sound like great legislation and can be added to some legislators list of wonderful things GS they did during their 35 years of working out of touch in the marble castle. However the laws just get pushed on to some government agency that adds it to a pile of already unforcable laws. Laws aren't required to work. They just have to appear to help us. When is the last time a federal agent interacted with any of you? IRS maybe
Guage.

Back
Top Bottom