Microdosing Marijuana: Doctors Say It's The Best Way To Consume Pot

Ron Strider

What is microdosing and why is it better? There are those cannabis connoisseurs who enjoy getting super stoned at the end of a long day at the office, while others are now embracing an emerging trend called microdosing, a procedure that allows the user to moderate their mind by taking small doses throughout the day.

The concept of microdosing is simple: instead of consuming enough THC to join the land of catatonia, the user leans on somewhere between 3 to 10 milligrams to feel some effect without entering into a realm of laughing fits, paranoia and ravenous hunger. It is increasingly popular practice that Rolling Stone calls "Marijuana 2.0," an idea that less is actually more when it comes to using cannabis for its therapeutic and creativity-inducing benefits.

However, there are some challenges involved. What is considered a low dose for some may not cut it for others. It is similar to how it would be if measuring the effectiveness of Ibuprofen on a large group of people. Some of them would find relief with 200 milligrams, while it might take others near pharmaceutical levels to cut through the pain. So, the core of this dosing principle is really just about the individual finding the perfect "micro-buzz" that allows them to feel comfortable and productive.

Dr. Duston Sulak, who has been working with medical marijuana patients in Maine for the past eight years, told Rolling Stone that he has developed a system to help people find their optimal microdose.

"Abstain from cannabis for two days. On day three, consume one milligram of THC and one milligram of CBD, preferably in a tincture or oil where they can be measured precisely," he said. "Before consuming, ask yourself three questions, and answer on a scale of one to 10: How easy is it to breathe, how comfortable and calm does your body feel and how easy is it for you to smile authentically, to feel content and grateful?"

Feel nothing? Increase your dose by one milligram, the doctor says.

"You repeat this process over the next few days, increasing the dose by small increments," he explained. "When you reach a point where you feel a difference after consuming, you've found your minimal effective dose."

No matter how high of a tolerance a person has, the doctor says 48 hours of abstinence is all that is needed to hit the rest button.

Although microdosing may go against the grain of the old time stoner philosophy, medical experts say that finding the "minimum effective dose" is the key when treating a patient with any medication. After all, it is not advised to take other medications at intoxicating levels, so why should marijuana be treated any differently?

Bud_from_Maine.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Microdosing marijuana: Doctors say it's the best way to consume pot - Salon.com
Author: Mike Adams
Photo Credit: Robert F. Bukaty
Website: Salon: in-depth news, politics, business, technology & culture

Mrs tangent uses just enough medicinal cannabis throughout the day to manage her pain.
the euphoria is an added bonus.

She then has enough in the evening to get a good nights sleep.

This is medicine, my friends.

I found this to be very true. My 70 year old system has become more sensitive over the past 10 years to the point to where I was going to "gasp" give it up but something told me to just figure it out. For me Microdosing was the key. I feel better and my PTSD is better and easier to deal with.

I found this to be very true. My 70 year old system has become more sensitive over the past 10 years to the point to where I was going to "gasp" give it up but something told me to just figure it out. For me Microdosing was the key. I feel better and my PTSD is better and easier to deal with.

70 year old here also. I learned about pot in the Army (!) with 'Panama Red.' I never got into getting super stoned, and think of that as drug abuse, though my son categorizes drug abuse as dropping the joint during a pass. I usually take one hit on my pipe, and I'm good for a couple of hours of a pleasant ambiance in my head. Alcohol, however tends to make me wonder how it would feel to have "one more" drink, and I don't respect myself the next day.

Back
Top Bottom