Santa Rosa Rolls Out Red Carpet To Pot Growers

Ron Strider

"Please do not allow outdoor growing of marijuana in city limits. I had to keep my windows closed frequently last year as the smell was horrendous," wrote one Santa Rosa resident to the city in March.

"My neighbor has been growing for years," wrote a resident named George. "And the traffic in and out if his house (at all hours) is a major nuisance."

It's because of concerns like these that many cities and counties across California have taken a wait-and-see approach to entering this new world where the medicinal and recreational use of marijuana is legal. Proposition 64 allows adults to grow up to six plants at home. But it leaves it up to cities whether to allow outdoor growing.

As a result, dozens of communities, including Windsor and Healdsburg, have banned outdoor growing in residential areas while others, including Petaluma and Cloverdale, have prohibited commercial operations. Many have done both.

But not Santa Rosa. By comparison, the government center of Sonoma County has rolled out the red carpet for this burgeoning industry.

Last year, the city began issuing permits for medicinal cannabis operations in industrial zones, resulting in a "green rush" for warehouse space around town and the transformation of a number of businesses into centers for the growing, testing, sale and/or distribution of cannabis products. The city also developed a tax structure on these marijuana operations that voters will be deciding in the June 6 election.

But the city's most significant move may have been what it chose not to do. Last week, after a few failed attempts, the Santa Rosa City Council voted 5-2 to not move ahead with a staff recommendation to ban outdoor growing in neighborhoods.

We believe this was a mistake. As we noted in an editorial earlier this spring, it would have been far easier to amend the city's rules at a later date – after the analysis staff recommended – and permit outdoor growing rather than to give the green light at the outset and try to change it later.

Either way, because of the council's waffling on the issue, the city probably already missed the window of opportunity to do something this year. The staff had recommended adopting an urgency ordinance at the start of April before outdoor gardens were planted. But growing season has already begun.

Some council members doubted whether there were enough safety or nuisance concerns to justify the emergency ban on pot gardens. Mayor Chris Coursey said he also was concerned about whether the city's team of code enforcement officers had the bandwidth to respond to complaints about violations of such ordinance.

Making sure the city has adequate code enforcement is a legitimate ongoing concern. But it shouldn't be used as an excuse to avoid adopting rules to address a real community concern. As some residents of Lake and Mendocino counties, as well as the authors of the many letters, such as those quoted above, that Santa Rosa has received will attest, the problems of cannabis cultivation in neighborhoods is real. In any event, the city will not be able to avoid responding to problems if and when they arise – such as complaints about neighbors exceeding the six-plant maximum permitted under Proposition 64.

Some council members have suggested that they want to revisit the issue next year. We hope that will be the case. In the meantime, the burden is on city officials to keep close tabs on the impacts of what they have chosen to do in welcoming cannabis into the business and residential parts of town.

Those who desire to grow marijuana either for personal or business use certainly have reason to be pleased with the City Council's course of action and inaction. What's not clear is whether everyone will feel the same.

Hiding_in_Pot_-_John_Burgess.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: PD Editorial: Santa Rosa rolls out red carpet to pot growers | The Press Democrat
Contact: How to contact The Press Democrat | The Press Democrat
Photo Credit: John Burgess
Website: Home, Santa Rosa Press Democrat, Bay Area Newspaper, CA news

Additional article about the passage of a Conditional Use Permit by Santa Rosa, CA city council. Doesn't mention that the city is going to revisit the zoning issue in 2020... The developer has been "working" on his project for 13 years, but as of date of city council meeting had not submitted any building plans for his project. There were only three speakers for the developer, a second developer with another housing project close by also and citizen. As to the Fleuron side there were many supporters, including myself, who were in agreement with the issuing of the conditional use permit. As a medical cannabis consumer I stated that I felt there was a need to be filled and if Santa Rosa wanted to be in the forefront of cannabis production, manufacturing and distribution of cannabis products, then they needed to start somewhere. The city has a bigger problem with indoor grows in neighborhoods and knuckleheads trying to make oil and end up blowing up themselves and possibly burning down the house in a residential area, which has happened several times in the past couple of years. Additionally, I stated that I would be happy to live near the facility because there would be no smell, lights, extra traffic, public sales or any of the possible problems that the cannabis industry is facing.

I went to council meeting and talked with Fleuron, Inc., because I have done work for the developer and told them that he would try and "muddy the waters" by an outlandish comment which he made; about being ready with financing in place for 3000 homes and along with an agreement to the removal of the asphalt plant... City planning staff had dismissed all of the developers claims about the way Fleuron gotten their permit. Just a case of sour grapes (Sonoma County is Grapes and Herb)...

Back
Top Bottom