Canada Is Thinking About Making Weed Legal For Everyone 18 And Older

Ron Strider

Canada has begun trials to test the implementation of a legal age minimum for marijuana, a move that could ultimately make the North American nation just the world's second country to legalize the drug nationwide.

The drug is currently illegal in Canada, but new legislation, called the Cannabis Act, would set the minimum age at 18 for consumption and possession.

A task force charged with researching the drug cited the continued easing of access to marijuana, as well as the criminal profits of selling the substance, as reasons for legalizing weed.

"Possession of small amounts of cannabis would no longer be a criminal offense and would prevent profits from going into the pockets of criminal organizations and street gangs," the task force said in a statement announcing the proposed bill in April.

Outcomes from the task force's results could influence the future of marijuana legalization in America. In the U.S. states have legalized marijuana for recreational use, and in these locations the minimum age is 21.

Senator Jonathan Singer of Colorado would like to see the age in his own state lowered to 18. Repeating the feelings of many young adults, Singer said, "If you are old enough to go to war then you should be old enough to be trusted to use a recreational substance." He added that lowering the age to 18 would help reduce widespread underage use.

However, in 2016 Ottawa's public health agency recommended that if marijuana was legalized, the minimum age of use should be 25. The greatest factor in this decision may be mental health, as the brain does not fully mature until the mid-twenties.

The push and pull from both sides could be quelled by the outcome of the studies and tests currently being performed by Canada's task force, and maybe nationwide legalization will serve as yet another reason for people to tack on their "Why I should move to Canada" lists.

Marijuana_Bush.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Canada Is Thinking About Making Weed Legal for Everyone 18 and Older :: Health :: News :: Marijuana :: Paste
Author: Savannah McCoy
Photo Credit: None Found
Website: The Best Music, Movies, TV, Books, Games, Beer & More | Paste

THIS is the most intelligent statement on the subject recreational marijuana,,a GREAT IDEA,,should have been accomplished in the
U.S. IN THE EARLY 80'S-u.s.follow canada's idea,,peace,,infoman

THIS is the most intelligent statement on the subject recreational marijuana,,a GREAT IDEA,,should have been accomplished in the
U.S. IN THE EARLY 80'S-u.s.follow canada's idea,,peace,,infoman
Hey Canada is going to get in a mess of Hot water, about copy right laws.... They have used information from "The Mississippi Cannabis Freedom Act" By Steven B. Griffin..... It was published by Mississippi Secretary of States Office Aug 2014..... As a Ballot Measure in Mississippi. He is one of the eariest supporters of 18 years old legal age for Cannabis possession or Cannabis business.... Here is "The Mississippi Cannabis Freedom Act" here is the link to the "ACT", if you like to read more about Cannabis Freedom in Mississippi's Legal Cannabis Markets... This man is still working to get This Act passed, so maybe somebody should contact him today, to make this happen.... I know he was on tweeter looking for a Billionaire to get the register voter signatures... I sent him $100.00 last week myself. Hey this Cannabis Freedom Act is going to change the world..... I'm glad I am apart of something good!! Mississippi Cannabis Freedom Act, Initiative 52 (2018) - Ballotpedia

Back
Top Bottom